Three Bad Experiences, Irresponsible Dog Owner, Naughty Dog Nasty Jogg

Mrs Rusty Bucket

This thread is interesting in that some think that unless your dog is 100% perfect and proofed in every situation (including ones you cannot predict, imagine or create test for), then you should never let it off lead. However - how do you test that your dog is 100% proofed then?

You started the thread - you got the answers. Not sure why you dont like it. Maybe it's because just about everyone told you that you were at fault with the jogger. You were. Sorry if you dont like that - you were at fault.

How did you go with the report to Council?

Its a good question. How DO you know if your dog is 100% unless you test it? Please answer I would like to know.

You test - under controlled conditions.

I'm not going to test my dog's recall by allowing him to chase a cat towards busy traffic and then calling him off. However I can simulate that event in more controlled surroundings.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is interesting in that some think that unless your dog is 100% perfect and proofed in every situation (including ones you cannot predict, imagine or create test for), then you should never let it off lead. However - how do you test that your dog is 100% proofed then?

You started the thread - you got the answers. Not sure why you dont like it. Maybe it's because just about everyone told you that you were at fault with the jogger. You were. Sorry if you dont like that - you were at fault.

Its a good question. How DO you know if your dog is 100% unless you test it? Please answer I would like to know.

If your dog attacks another dog or person (sorry...behaves like a brat) you train the thing until you have effective control before you let it loose in another dog park. Pretty simple really. This 'gee it was a once off and then I took him to to the park again' idea is not bloody on. Train your bloody dog if you want it offlead. eta sorry that last bit was not directed at you, jaza.

Edited by raz

Early morning or late afternoon/night at a quiet off-leash time SA beach seems like a pretty good time to practice I would have thought.

As I read it the jogger starting yelling and abusing OP before the dog acted like that.

So before she dares so the beach again should she set up a controlled environment where a person runs past yelling at her?

If your dog attacks another dog or person (sorry...behaves like a brat) you train the thing until you have effective control before you let it loose in another dog park. Pretty simple really. This 'gee it was a once off and then I took him to to the park again' idea is not bloody on. Train your bloody dog if you want it offlead. eta sorry that last bit was not directed at you, jaza.

No worries lol

I would never dare to let mine offleash anywhere but my own yard so I dont need to worry anyway.

As I read it the jogger starting yelling and abusing OP before the dog acted like that.

No the dog started barking and running around the jogger and then the jogger started yelling at the OP. In this shire a dog behaving in that manner would attract a dangerous dog declaration if the council became involved.

No worries lol

I would never dare to let mine offleash anywhere but my own yard so I dont need to worry anyway.

Yeah same here. I'm too worried about other owners who dont think about the repurcussions of a loose dog who is not under effective control.

QUOTE (jazawayaya @ 10th Dec 2010 - 04:19 PM)

No worries lol

Yeah same here. I'm too worried about other owners who dont think about the repurcussions of a loose dog who is not under effective control.

Thats not quite my worry Raz :thumbsup:

Mine is they will run away and not come back!

QUOTE (jazawayaya @ 10th Dec 2010 - 04:19 PM)

No worries lol

Thats not quite my worry Raz :thumbsup:

Mine is they will run away and not come back!

Mine is based on personal experience, jaza - dog attacks my dog and the owner says 'sorry sorry...he's just playing'.

If your dog attacks another dog or person (sorry...behaves like a brat) you train the thing until you have effective control before you let it loose in another dog park. Pretty simple really. This 'gee it was a once off and then I took him to to the park again' idea is not bloody on. Train your bloody dog if you want it offlead.

:eek: It's not simple. You have to figure out why the behaviour occurred in the first place, but if it rarely happens, identifying the trigger can be extremely difficult. You are left feeling around in the dark trying things under controlled situations to try to replicate it and not managing to. I swear sometimes it's just the dog feels different that day for whatever reason. The park smells different, it's foggier than usual, maybe, another dog did something very small and weird you missed, the dog has more energy than usual, maybe it's more stimulated than usual... There are dozens of factors that could have contributed, making it practically impossible to replicate artificially. The "simple" answer is to keep working on your recalls as usual and keep your eyes and ears open.

BTW, PF, I didn't take what you said as a personal insult. A lot of people think I'm an idiot for going to dog parks. That is fine by me. For all I knew you were one of them. Also fine by me. I was trying to say I wouldn't consider that an insult. The unfenced parks are much better, but one time I saw someone's dog drag them in as well, and was horrified when they then let it off leash. Erik was only about 5kg of puppy at the time and I was glad I had already been making a quiet and hasty exit. First thing the dog did was pounce on the nearest SWF and pin it to the ground. Yep, you guessed it, "She's just playing". It can happen anywhere. I just stay on my toes.