Toilet Training

Miss B

If you are doing the above and your dog is still toileting in its' crate it may have been raised in a dirty whelping area where it was forced to toilet where it ate and sleep such as Petshop windows and some puppy farm and backyard breeders. It can take a long time to re-train these dogs.

I can assure you that my pup did not come from a pet shop window, a puppy farm or a BYB :thumbsup:

I am using puppy training pads, which I put on the floor in our ensuite bathroom.

You're giving her free licence to make mistakes. I'd have her in a crate next to you bed, you can even raise the crate up so she is level beside you.

I think I've already mentioned several times that she sleeps in a crate next to my bed. And yes, it has been raised so that she can see me. Crate training is going fine and she settles quickly. And no, the crate is not too big.

Although I do understand that this will probably make things a little bit more difficult in the long run.

Then give yourself a swift kick up the bum and stop being so slack. You're making things difficult and frustrating for your puppy, that's not very fair. If you want to build trust and respect with your dog then you need to set it up for success rather than create confusion and frustration.

I toilet trained my older boy in the exact same manner, he cottoned on pretty quick and the transition to outside toileting went very smoothly. He is now 100% reliable in the house.

ETA: I am going to stop giving her access to water overnight and see if that helps. She has a bowl in the bathroom and has a big drink everytime she wakes up in the night for a pee, which probably isn't helping.

That is definately part of your problem, pick up the water bowl an hour before bed.

If you go back a few posts, you'll see that I did this - and she had a good night with no accidents in her crate.

Sorry, I do appreciate advice, it's just that it doesn't seem like you have read the thread in it's entirety before replying.

Did Emmy ever pee on the bed? Winter is allowed on the bed while we are watching tv, and I make sure she gets a toilet break every 45 minutes or so. But she still has the odd accident and pees on the doona, so for this reason I haven't been game to let her sleep on the bed overnight. Ever since she arrived I feel like all I ever do is laundry :D

I did Kyza's toilet training in the exact same way and he got the hang of it sooo much quicker. The transition from the puppy pee pads (indoors) to toileting outdoors on the grass went really smoothly aswell. All I had to do was say "potty time!" and he would pee straight away!

One of the trainers at puppy preschool recommended a square of astroturf instead of the puppy pee pads, to help prevent her from developing a 'surface preference' (ie wanting to pee on soft surfaces - carpet, doona, bedding etc). I am thinking of giving this a try, hopefully it will help with the transition to outdoor toilet breaks?

Oh no!!!

No, Emmy never pees on the bed... I'm a light sleeper or she comes and wakes me up to let me know she's up ;)

No, Emmy never pees on the bed... I'm a light sleeper or she comes and wakes me up to let me know she's up :D

What a good girl! :)

What size crate should I use to toilet train?

Can I use the same crate that my breeder is sending the puppy in with?

I am using a PP20 at the moment. I think a crate that just has enough room for pup to stand up, turn around and lay down is ideal. You want to take advantage of the pups natural reluctance to toilet in it's sleeping area.

Sorry, I do appreciate advice, it's just that it doesn't seem like you have read the thread in it's entirety before replying.

That's ok, if you think you're right in everything you're doing I'm not sure why you're here complaining.

My reply was based on the posts I quoted, I don't need to read the entire thead not do I have time to, to see you are making some very common mistakes.

I'm not sure why you think people read threads in their entirerity, most people respond to the original post and if they have time they'll read through the whole thread.

Seriously, you need to leave the attitude elsewhere, you came here for advice, I offered it, if you don't want to take it, then that is fine.

I'm simply sharing my experience in toilet training a large number of dogs, whether or not this is relevant to you or your dog is another thing.

*shakes head*

Edited by sas

My reply was based on the posts I quoted, I don't need to read the entire thead not do I have time to, to see you are making some very common mistakes.

I'm not sure why you think people read threads in their entirerity, most people respond to the original post and if they have time they'll read through the whole thread.

Seriously, you need to leave the attitude elsewhere, you came here for advice, I offered it, if you don't want to take it, then that is fine.

What attitude? First you suggested my pup might have come from a petshop/puppy farm/BYB, then you told me to do things that I am already doing. There is really very little point in you telling me that my dog should be sleeping in a crate when she already is.

As I said, I do appreciate advice, and I think I've shown appreciation to those who have offered genuine advice in this thread. Not to say that your advice wasn't genuine, just that it wasn't completely relevant. And perhaps I'm in the minority but I don't respond to a thread and give advice unless I've read it through first.

Winter and Monya are also distantly related to Kairu... their great-great-grandad is Kairu's dad :laugh:

Wow, the JS world is definitely a small world!!!

I'm glad I found this topic! This will be useful when I get my JS.

What size crate should I use to toilet train?

Can I use the same crate that my breeder is sending the puppy in with?

dilemmax, I wonder if your JS is related to Kairu, Winter and Monya in any way :laugh:

Miss B, I hope Winter continues to make progress with her toileting!!

I am a really light sleeper so i dont really have any advice for you in regards to waking up. But i would suggest that you have a dressing gown, and slip on shoes next to the bed ready to go. When you wake up or hear her stir etc. Ditch the pee pads and take her outside, if she gets distracted easily, put her on a lead so that she cant wonder off. Keep it all busines. Take her out, stand there and dont talk to her or make a fuss of her until she goes, when she does give her plenty of praise and then straight back to bed. I would suggest not playing or anything as otherwise she will wake you up so that you will play with her.

If you take her out and she doesnt go, stand for 5 minutes or so and then take her back inside and put her back to bed. Wait until she gets restless again, then take her back out again. Eventually she will get the point that she should go while she has the chance.

Yes it is a pain in the bum, yes you have to get up in the middle of the night - i did it in the middle of winter and it was bloody freezing. But if you are persitent they will get it. Some take longer, some need a little more encouragement.

Stick with it and it will get better.

Good luck :laugh:

So Winter and Monya share Maui as their daddy!!!

Wow, guess we're one big family!! Is Kairu related somewhere into the family too?!?!?!

They certainly do!! :confused:

Winter and Monya are also distantly related to Kairu... their great-great-grandad is Kairu's dad :thanks:

Wow... So in simpler term kairu is on the same level as their great grandad? He's so old! :)

MissB you're so informed! Now do you know how Emmy and Codi relates? Haha I want to make a family tree now :confused:

Edit: auto spelling changed some names to fish

Edited by spitzbaby

Hey guys,

I'm getting two JS - one from Mikalori Kennel and the other from Morioka Kennel.

Can't wait until March next year!! :eek:

wow dilemmax! at the same time??

do you know who their sire and dam is? :laugh:

Edited by spitzbaby

Haha. No, the first one in March and then the second in June/July?

The one I am getting in March, the Mum is a Daesdaemar/Mannerking JS and the Dad is a Syide/Napaj JS.

The second one I'm not sure yet..

oh! their January litter? :eek::laugh:

do you have a preference for which sex?

I was going for a girl at first but then changed to a boy... now I don't know.

Haha but I'm hoping getting a show potential pup.

I've been reading everything and anything I can to prepare myself.

Did you get a pen for your pup?

Edited by dilemmax

I was going for a girl at first but then changed to a boy... now I don't know.

Haha but I'm hoping getting a show potential pup.

I've been reading everything and anything I can to prepare myself.

Did you get a pen for your pup?

ohh! nice..

I did get a fence thing.. those compost bin fence from bunnings initially.. and I live in an apartment so I had to layer the bottom with plastic..

not a good idea.. when he has accidents the pee would go between plastic folds.. so I quickly gave up that idea and use his crate.

be prepared for sleepless nights though haha.. there might be time you feel like you just wanna ignore them and sleep!

after 2 months he is already completely reliable (as long as I leave the door open and he has access to go out)

You can take one or two days off work.. but it's probably not ideal to be with him all the time and suddenly go back to work. I think bringing him on a weekend would be good :laugh: