Nursing Bitch Off Food

Leema

Clover had her (and my!) first litter on Thursday.

She ate well Thursday and Friday, and Saturday morning, and now is seeming less-enthused about her meal.

I am feeding her soaked Advance puppy dry food with a little mince stirred through.

Is there any suggestions on something nutritious that I could try to con her into eating?

She ate well Thursday and Friday, and Saturday morning, and now is seeming less-enthused about her meal.

I am feeding her soaked Advance puppy dry food with a little mince stirred through.

Is there any suggestions on something nutritious that I could try to con her into eating?

Hi Leema

I have a few selections of different puppy food at home just in case they get tired of one type.

I always have Advance puppy growth dry and the puppy Advance tin but at the moment Rosie, who whelped on Wed, prefers the Coles chicken & rice puppy tin food.

Good luck.

my bitch who delivered by c section 2 weeks ago, is on a hunger strike also ,I found pretending im eating the slop lol, helps also serving @ room temp & add ing a little vegimite to hot water & serving on food ,Also u could try making her an egg flip with puppy formular . good luck .

Have you taken your girls temp? as she may have infection or trauma and need antibiotics. my girl who whelped 11 puppies a week ago was picky and wouldn't even look at puppy food apart from advance puppy plus, and that was only as a snack. I have been giving nutrigel twice a day and it has really helped her get her apetite back. She is eating well now, its costing us heaps but she is feeding 11 so has to eat and I don't care what as long as she is eating. rump steak every morning, mince and liver stew with a little rice added for lunch, she is also eating wings and necks and advance puppy, she had two bbq chickens a couple of days after whelping, she is having calcium supp and vitamin supp, I know its not the right diet for a nursing mum, but she is eating and looks really good now, looked like a skeleton after whelping as she refused food 48 hrs before whelping!

good luck, would take her to the vet if she doesn't pick up

Thanks for the suggestions, Cockerlover.

Bought 3 brands of can food and a 'puppy loaf' just now, so will try again at dinner. :)

She should be eating several times a day when feeding a litter. Mine usually have 3 meals and 3 drinks of Divetelact with Nutrigel spaced out between the meals. Are you feeding her in the box with the puppies? Mine won't leave the babies to eat for the first couple of weeks.

You could also try Nutrigel straight from the tube to get the appetite up and keep the kilojoules up to her in the mean time.

I have often had to hand feed in the whelping box.

Cleo this morning came out to the kitchen just as I was about to bring it into her.

She wanted it then and there. But only ate half and she went back to the pups and I took the remains into her and she finished it apart from a few biscuits.

Bokezu I with you there what ever you can get into her.

GSD's 4EVER has a business Happy paws training treats and she sells a powder that you sprinkle on top of the food and its disappears. Her banner appears up the top.

Try some chicken mince/necks or even cooked slightly if she prefers it. Mine dogs will sell their souls for anything with real chicken. Also cat food can be tempting as it has a stronger flavour than most dog foods. Canned fish, extra cheese, and yes, some scrambled eggs are often popular.

I am feeding my chi bitch 4 times a day. With bigger dogs, at least 3 times. I find they generally do not eat alot for the first 2 days then they become ravenous.

When my girls first whelp they tend to be quite fussy and I normally cater to them. Most will eat chicken cooked in a little garlic butter or raw mince . Once I have them eating I mix a little dry in. I normally have dry available all the time in the whelping box and feed 2-3 extra special meals as well. About day 3 the milk will be coming in and she may be a little uncomfortable

Leema how many of each sex did she have??

Not Looking forward to the next week, my girl hasn't even whelped yet ( still a day or so off I think) and is off her food for the last 5 days.

I was very lucky a friend had to cull a calf and so I have veal in the freezer and yes she will eat that as long as I don't add anything else :) and she will also eat chicken backs.

No goat milk, no eggs, sardines or tin food.

Clover had two boys and a girl. :D

She ate most of the "Select" puppy can food today.

Yesterday, she ate some of the puppy roll with mince mixed through... I think she likes slightly cooked mince (and this was microwaved). Will continue to experiment.

But I'm happy with what she ate this morning! That was ample. :)

Thanks for the many suggestions. :thumbsup: