I've Got A Bone To Chew With You!

persephone

Bones!!  

213 members have voted

1. 1. do you feed whole bones?

• of course! All sorts (except cooked) as part of their meal
    • yes I do - as part of their meal- but mostly non weight bearing ones like ribs/chicken frames
    • I do - but only very large ones- recreational
    • Sometimes
    • No I don't ..
    • No, for health reasons ..
  2. 2. Do you start feeding bones at an early age?

• Yes, at weaning
    • yes, soon after I get a pup home
    • I start at teething
    • I wait until they are adult.
    • oops- should I start now?
    • I don't feed bones.
  3. 3. Are your dogs supervised?

• Yes! I take the bone away after chewing
    • Yes- just to make sure
    • Yes- I make sure they eat it ok
    • only out the corner of my eye
    • No - they get easily eaten bones,and are experienced
    • No - they're dogs.Dogs eat bones.
    • I don't feed bones.
    • depends on which dog :)
    • Depends on the bone type.

I didn't know what to really answer for the second one because I got both of my dogs as adults. So I didn't exactly wait lol

Yes though my dogs get alot of bones. I have taken 'dog roll' out of their diet and they now only get good quality kibble and raw bones and meat like chicken wings, Chicken necks the occasional chicken breast, steaks etc (any meat on special really). Plus the occasional tin of tuna and sardines and eggs.

I consider bones are essential.

They have fresh chicken twice a day, and a weekly pin bone, or lamb and beef off-cuts.

With four dogs they must be supervised and the finished bones removed.

I usually smash the bones so they can get to the inaccessible marrow, and then they're all finished.

:thumbsup:

I wanted to pick two options for the last question. My girl is supervised (out of the corner of my eye!) with any edible bones. With the huge recreational bones that she couldn't possibly swallow, she's allowed to take those away and munch them out of sight.

Orbit got bones from a puppy, but as an extra with his dry food. Mostly wings, necks, ribs etc. When he hit about 12months of age I put him onto a complete raw diet, so he now gets bones as a full meal - again, non weight bearing things likes frames, wings, ribs.

He also gets, and did from a puppy, big recreational bones here and there and once he's chewed the knuckles off I take them away.

My boy recently had surgery to remove a blockage from a bone, he'll no longer gets bones. I'm sure he'll live just fine without them, he gets bone content in his BARF we purchase so he's getting the nutritional value just not the chewing teeth cleaning action.

Anything chewy suuch as Rawhide or Deer Antler he has to have whilst I'm watching him.

I can't vote as I dont have an option for the second part, but really for recreation I guess, she gets a big ass marrow bone split length ways so she can get the marrow out easily, sometimes chuck bones, briskit , etc.

Not supervised like I will sit there eyeballing her whilst she eats lol, but a check to see how shes going from time to time as it takes hours for her to get the most enjoyment from it. after that no not really supervised at all.

Yes, they get some sort of meat/bones 5-7 days a week. All types except cooked, started as soon as we get them.

This was Quinn's first night home. Spoilt thing dragged it into the middle fo the kitchen floor and got away with it.

6-4.jpg

The cat gets wings and necks occasionally aswell, we had to teach him to eat them when we got him at 9years old, he didn't know what they were for.

with the last question I put depends on which dog, because most of my dogs are ok with bones I just got to keep an eye on one because he has very few teeth left. I also keep a eye on young dogs that have only just been introduced to bones. The amstaff I dont have to worry about:D

I've fed my two bones since they were pups and yes i always supervise them, mainly brodie because he's a pig and will try and swallow the last bit of the bone whole! :D talk about trying to give me a heart attack the first time i saw that..

I had to choose sometimes... one dog has CRF and isn't allowed bones, so the other doesn't get them as often as I'd like.

Similar thing here (except what is CRF?). I tried moving mine both to raw only diet but one couldn't stomach it as well so therefore I stopped giving them as often, so my other dog seems to miss out ;) My plan is to move the other back to raw and the troublesome one to sometimes raw. Just got to get my freezer moved from the parentals to my house :D

Zedley usually gets chicken wings, necks or frames. When I can find smallish lamb/beef bones he gets those too. I don't watch him, but I am very aware of where he is and how long he as been nibbling the bone. I can hear him so if he started to choke I would hear him.

James gets bones daily as his evening meal and recreational bones on the odd day when he's home alone for a considerable period.

He's been having bones since the day he came home. In fact, the first thing he was given was a chicken wing (which he promptly vomited back up). At 4 months the wings were dropped and he's been on larger bones/frames since.

He's not exactly supervised. The door is open so I can occasionally hear him crunch away and I check on him every 20 minutes or so to see if he's finished yet.

I supervise the eating of bones and will remove them (if there is any left which isn't often with 5 dogs).

Mostly they get horse or buffalo (mixed pieces, but will be getting necks next time) and sometimes mixed chicken portions.

All my dogs get given bones from the time they get here, no matter how old or what breed.

Guest belgian.blue

My two are given large bones, meaty beef off-cuts or lamb/goat shanks once a week. Normally on weekends. I collect the smaller pieces of bone a few hours later.

Chicken frames and any chicken bones aren't allowed here as Badger thinks it's great to swallow them whole :D

I tried giving my dog bones when she was a puppy and every now and again I try again - we survived the last lot of beef tail bones? that she found at my uncle's place - he has two dogs that can't crunch them up...

Unfortunately there is no such thing as a large recreational bone she can't make splinters out of and swallow. I'm not so worried about choking as much as gut punctures and pain passing...

Adult dog has a frozen chicken frame every other night. Pup has a couple of frozen chicken necks as part of dinner or a lamb neck to chomp on if I have to leave her at home in her crate. Cats have chicken necks every other night.

All were supervised to begin with out of the corner of my eye and they are always separated. All of them love their food but are very sensible - even the food obsessed cat chews the necks with care. Pup strips the lamb neck clean then falls asleep without touching the bone so I don't have a problem with leaving her alone :D

I wanted to pick two options for the last question. My girl is supervised (out of the corner of my eye!) with any edible bones. With the huge recreational bones that she couldn't possibly swallow, she's allowed to take those away and munch them out of sight.

Same here