Looking For Some Advise On Right Type Of Dog

adogisforlife

I was wondering if some one could help out with our decision to add another pet to our family.

We already have 4 guinea pigs, one hand raised Cockatiel and a 10yr old male de sexed Boxer (BJ)

I have 5 children aged 1,4,6,11 and 13, we live on an acre and a half.

BJ has always been an out side dog(due to renting when we first got him) but we have been allowing him inside a bit now, though he prefers to be outside.

What we are looking for in a dog breed is

*minimum to medium grooming needs (we have lots of grass seeds and spear grass that grows in our back yard)

*Something that will love LOTS of attention from the kids as well as enjoy walks and runs along the beach but still want to curl up and watch a movie with the kids.

* something that is not tiny, but still small to medium(like a staffy).

*I love beagels and staffies but they are known as escape artists while our fence is ok it is not secure enough to keep in a staffie or beagle.

I am happy to rescue a dog/puppy and we go out to the RSPCA regularly looking, I do not want to get a dog just for the sake of getting a dog, I really need to put some thought into the right type of dog before we can get one.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Oh and I am in North Qld ;)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd fix your fencing, make the guinea pig run like Alcatraz and get one of the following:

* Staffordshire Bull Terrier

* Smooth Fox Terrier

* Whippet (I think you've just described my Whippet Howard's version of heaven - he loves kids)

But the Whippet would need to be an inside dog as they just don't cope with extremes of heat.

How much training would you give the dog? What breed/s is your current dog?

I'd fix your fencing, make the guinea pig run like Alcatraz and get one of the following:

* Smooth Fox Terrier

* Whippet (I think you've just described my Whippet Howard's version of heaven - he loves kids)

But the Whippet would need to be an inside dog as they just don't cope with extremes of heat.

PF, second line says the current dog is a boxer :D

A fox terrier would be a perfect fit if the fences were fixed up a bit I think ;)

* Smooth Fox Terrier

PF, second line says the current dog is a boxer :D

A fox terrier would be a perfect fit if the fences were fixed up a bit I think :)

:D :o ;)

Funny about foxies - they were one of the most popular family dogs of my father's generation. He still has very fond memories of his family's Fox Terrier.

I think they deserve to be more popular.

Edited by poodlefan

Staffordshire Bull Terriers tend to only be escape artists if they are lonely. The odd one will be regardless of what you do but I have found that they usually escape either because they learned they can do so when they were very small puppies OR they are left alone too much.

If you like the temperament of a Staffordshire Bull Terrier then they'd be a good match for your description of your family. The small rodents may be a bit too much for many to resist with but they can learn to leave small pets alone, you would need to find a good breeder and take their advice on the probably temperament of the pups (and don't believe them if they tell you they'll all be great with small pets if they're trained to be)

I think you need to do a bit more research about the temperament of the breeds, the difference in temperament between a SBT and a Beagle is like two different species!

A Stafford can be a very intimidating dog if you're not used to their in-your-face type temperament, but if you've survived a Boxer I think you'd do fine with a Stafford!

ETA: Fox Terrier and small squeaking pets - ouch!

Edited by Sandra777

A shar pei could well be suitable. There is a rescue in Brisbane (and here on dol) which may be able to help you find a suitable dog. I had beagles for 10 yrs and after getting my first pei - was thrilled to find how much easier they were to live with. Less demanding and naughty than both the beagle and staffy, and not alot bigger. A puppy could be a better option though with such young children, and other pets for them to learn to live with. Even as pups, shar pei are pretty sensible, easy to live with and easy to train. My dogs never attempted to go for my son's rat, and get on fine with my cat and chihuahuas.

poodlefan we have a boxer,we had him picked out at birth :D

our fence is stable and doesn't "need" fixing, I just feel it would not keep in a dog who wanted to get out and go exploring.

Not too worried about level of training the dog will need but we would prefer an older dog 12months-3 yrs.

Sandra777 I have grown up with my parents having staffies and I Love them! my parents have just taken on a male that wondered into my home and we could not find his owners :o he is beautiful with my kids but he would also love to eat the guinea pigs :D

badboyz I will have to look into the shar pei's ;) need to find out more about the care and maintenance of their rolls in the heat.

I will add i am at home with my 2 younger ones and the dogs won't be left much at all and if I do have a big or long day planned out the dogs will be going to my mum's for a play with her staffy and lab X

I'm in NQ too! In the west.

I've 3 kids aged 1, 3 and 6. Bought a Brittany puppy in June from a great breeder and I'm thrilled with her. Why do you need a second dog? What are you looking for that the first isn't giving? Why not another boxer? I think the Guinea Pigs will be a challenge with alot of dogs. Personally I don't like Terriers with small children. It seems ironic, but I prefer alot of the larger, more placid breeds like the Golden Retriever, Lab, Mastif. A rescue staffy could be good, they can be very tolerant, but they can also be a bit pushy and I've never seen a good mannered one. The whippet was high on my list, for practical and temperament reasons, but I just didn't fall in love with the breed like I did the Brittany. If I were closer to a rescue, I'd probably have just waited until the right animal came up, but 500km from a city, it just isn't practical - RSPCA want the whole family and other pets come to look, which just isn't going to happen over that distance. Read a bit about the Brittany, The Whippet, Beagle, Staffy - maybe even a rescue keplie or kelpie cross. Good luck!

I am currently fostering the perfect dog for you! Unfortunately I'm in canberra :D Sally (http://www.petrescue.com.au/view/84698) is however around the size you want (listed as large, but really about as big as a staffy with longer legs) Lovely short easy care coat, GREAT with kids, playful yet extremely relaxed for a pup her age, gets on well with other dogs and has no desire to escape (I know this because when my resident dogs escaped Sally stayed home).

I realise that distance probably rules Sal out, but given the age of the dog you are looking for I cannot reccomend a rescue dog enough. Rescue dogs usually live in foster care until their forever home comes along so the fosterer will be able to know if their dog has all of the qualities that you are looking for. They come with all vet work done and usually some basic training. Petrescue is a great place to start looking!

The Pigs would have to either be housed in a seperate yard or Fort Knox, if you are planning on having an SBT. There'd be very few SBT's who wouldn't wait for the opportunity to break in and kill the Guinnea Pigs.

That aside, an SBT would fit into a family who is dedicated to their dog and wants to spend lots of time with it.

I just feel it would not keep in a dog who wanted to get out and go exploring

You need a fence that WILL keep a dog in, if you want to own an SBT. They test and try everything, mostly with their heads. If left alone, they can and will look for a way out, to find themselves something to do and someone to do it with.

Mumof3 my cattle x passed away last jan and we are ready to add to our family again. BJ our old boxer is happy to just laze around these days and be left alone. Kids are really wanting another playmate to join our family ;)

doctorjoel a rescue animal is preferable what type is Sally (just out of interest) So many of the rescue dogs we have found that we would love to meet are all in Vic or NSW. As yet I have not been able to find any info on the net as in how much it would cost to transport a dog here.

readysetgo I know exactly what you are saying about the SBT. While I love staffies and have grown up with them I also know they are not right for us just now. When the younger kids are older one would be perfect :D

Edited by adogisforlife

I also have Whippets and they make an excellent indoor and outdoor companion. Mine are also great with the kids, they adore kids and are playfull enough, without being over the top. They also have an off button and are just as happy to curl up on the lounge with the kids and watch a movie.

You would still need a very secure Pig pen

Thanks for the link, she looks beautiful :p

Looks like the guinea pigs are going to have a new home made for them :laugh: the little ones love them so much I could not get rid of them.

ok so far we have

Whippet

and

Shar pei's

to look into.

Anyone have any thoughts on poodles?

Maybe a Swedish Vallhund or Corgi would suit? They are a bit less full on than a staffy IMO. I like the size. They are tough enough for lots of exercise and rough play, but have a good off switch and are a nice portable size. Because they are both herding breeds they are very biddable and people focused. I think Valls are a little more aloof towards strangers.

I have had a Pembroke Corgi and now have a Vallhund. Generally I think the Vallhunds are more work from a training perspective. They are incrediby smart and opportunistic. If you make a mistake it can be hard to correct. I have pet rabbits and the Corgi was perfectly trustworthy with them. The Vall doesn't try to get into their cages, but isn't trusted around them if they are out of their cages. When it comes to playing fetch and the likes, the Corgi was never particularly interested, but the Vall loves to play. The Corgi's idea of escaping was walking out a hole in the fence the size of a wombat and turning up on the front doorstep. The Vall has an urgent need to be with his family as much as possible and has never shown any interest in escaping.

I'd go a cardigan corgi rather than a vallhund or a pembroke corgi. Potentially, any of these breeds could be the perfect fit though. Vallhunds are more work. A corgi may be easier when you are also looking after young kids.

Edited by Mim

Good luck with your choice, just be aware that *any* breed could potentially want to hunt/kill your GP's.

Myself I would prefer that there was no visual access to the pocket pets while they were put away so they are not stressed by having a dog peering in all day long. It's harder to assess stress in smaller animals and livestock.