Stud Form Question..

Shazzapug

I have only been breeding for 5 years so not many litters....but when using outside dogs I always wait till the puppies are born and the Litter Registration form fully filled out by me....then I give it to the owner of the stud dog to write their details in and sign. A breeder has recently used my dog to 2 of her bitches, the puppies are a couple of weeks old. She asked me on the phone last night when am I sending her the signed stud forms....I sais to her why would I supply you with a litter reg form they are your litters....she said I have been doing it around the wrong way and it is up to the stud dog owner to sign a blank form and give it to the bitch owner. :laugh: WHY WOULD I SIGN A BLANK FORM.

What does everyone else do? Thanks.

I expect to get the stud form when I pay the stud fee, whenever that may be. I would expect the stud dog owner to supply it to me.

I wouldn't expect to get a "blank" form - and if it was my stud dog I would never give one out - it would have the bitch's name & number on it as well as the stud dog's.

"Blank" as in no number of pups - well unless you were actually there when the bitch whelped you don't know for sure how many she had anyway and if you even imagine the bitch's owner would be unreliable on this issue I guess you wouldn't be letting them use your stud dog anyway.

Edited by Sandra777

Yes Sharon i fill out the form with my relevant details and Bitches name number. This is only sent when payment has been made. I also have a stud service reciept which has all the details including mating dates and anticipated whelping dates and also payment details. signed by both parties and copy to each.

I have only been breeding for 5 years so not many litters....but when using outside dogs I always wait till the puppies are born and the Litter Registration form fully filled out by me....then I give it to the owner of the stud dog to write their details in and sign. A breeder has recently used my dog to 2 of her bitches, the puppies are a couple of weeks old. She asked me on the phone last night when am I sending her the signed stud forms....I sais to her why would I supply you with a litter reg form they are your litters....she said I have been doing it around the wrong way and it is up to the stud dog owner to sign a blank form and give it to the bitch owner. :laugh: WHY WOULD I SIGN A BLANK FORM.

Do you mean she had the dog and the mating happened without you being there ?

The stud dog owner usually give you the form once the stud monies are paid, they put their dogs details and When my dogs are used at stud make sure the bitches name and reg. details are on the form.

No I had her bitches at my place.

The stud dog owner usually give you the form once the stud monies are paid, they put their dogs details and When my dogs are used at stud make sure the bitches name and reg. details are on the form.

What if the arrangement was for a stud puppy? As is the case here.

No I had her bitches at my place.

O.K. Then you need to sign the papers at the time of the mating and ensure the details are filled in for the bitches and the dates etc .When the girls go home you send the form with them.You dont sign it blank.

In that case generally I would expect to be dealing with someone I know and trust and a handshake would be enough for me.

For you, you could supply a stud/litter form and have it returned to you to be signed once the breeder has completed the names etc and one of the pups would be written up as being registered directly into your name. If you have a stud agreement then this would probably cover the issue to.

In Vic - the papers must be signed at the time of mating - payment must be made at the time of mating or agreement signed in lue of payment.

But I prefer to have the papers filled in as the owner of the bitch for the stud dog owner to enter their details and sign. Don't believe that the dog owner should have papers sitting there for me to take home - as the owner / register of the litter that would be my responsibility I think.

In that case generally I would expect to be dealing with someone I know and trust and a handshake would be enough for me.

For you, you could supply a stud/litter form and have it returned to you to be signed once the breeder has completed the names etc and one of the pups would be written up as being registered directly into your name. If you have a stud agreement then this would probably cover the issue to.

Sometimes we dont know how trustworthy a friend is until they have the chance to either do the right thing or go the other way and betray the trust.

Thankyou for your replies.

Sharon, just fill the papers out and send them on since you have agreed to a puppy instead of a stud fee - was that with both litters or just one?

I have only had 4 litters and the 1st was paid and paperwork was done after the mating, no problems. The others were with friends dogs so we did the paperwork after they were born because the stud owners came to see the pups anyway and it suited us. Pmt was made at time of mating.

I would not take a pup as stud fee incase there are problems - small litter or not what you want. Better to take the stud fee and buy back a pup at the stud price or agreed puppy price. If there is not a pup there that you like you are not out of pocket or feel obligated to take a puppy.

Good luck - hope it all works out for you.

Edited by Andisa

Sometimes we dont know how trustworthy a friend is until they have the chance to either do the right thing or go the other way and betray the trust.

Really :angeldevil:

Sorry about the quality of friends you have a acquired over the years then :confused:

Sometimes it takes a few years till someone shows you their true colors....and sometimes their desire for a show ribbon is put before ALL else...sadly.

You have to sign them and hand them over, if you have trust issues then you should have taken the fee and purchased a puppy from the litter.

Damn straight....no-one realizes they have to get a contract before the mating on what the conditions are, even for your best friends.