My Dogs Needs A Shaded Cubby, Not A Kennel... Ideas?

UltimatePup

Hi

My dog loves wriggling under the cane lounge on the deck and will sleep happily in her little 'cave' for hours. Problem is, she's rapidly getting too big to fit through the gap! I would like to get her a cosy kennel instead but they are too big and bulky to fit easily into the space. She just needs some kind of cosy cubby for shade and security... Any ideas please? (I expect her to reach about Labrador size eventually.)

Hi

My dog loves wriggling under the cane lounge on the deck and will sleep happily in her little 'cave' for hours. Problem is, she's rapidly getting too big to fit through the gap! I would like to get her a cosy kennel instead but they are too big and bulky to fit easily into the space. She just needs some kind of cosy cubby for shade and security... Any ideas please? (I expect her to reach about Labrador size eventually.)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tango62/50662...57625047859592/

like this?

Hi

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tango62/50662...57625047859592/

like this?

Too cute! :laugh:

My idea is a trampoline bed, and have some poly or reticulation pipe attached to the leg via a cable tie, bend it over the top of the bed at the height desired and attach to the other leg via a cable tie, do that to the other legs as well, so it forms a "bender tent" type thing over the tramp bed, you might have to add a straight bit connecting the two semi circles as support just use cable ties for this as well, then drape and attach either shade cloth, or a canvas tarp over it.

There you go :angeldevil:

As she likes the cane lounge so much and I guess remodelling the front curve would detract from the looks and structural integrity of the lounge, why not try raising the lounge legs up on blocks. If you make a three sided frame that the lounge feet sit on (maybe sink a small hole into the wood frame that the feet will sit in, it will raise the height of the lounge, wont detract from it's looks and still give your dog a familiar secure place to retire to. As she grows, you could raise the height of the frame which will still ensure the lounge is functional but will give her more space. If she ever decides to move into other housing, you just take the lounge off the frame to return it to normal.

I don't think I'd get away with modifying the furniture :(. There's actually a space to the right of the lounge that's almost, but not quite, large enough for a wooden kennel. I am imagining putting something there that could be her little hidey house; I'm just not sure what.

It needs to look OK - not too scruffy - because the deck is quite neat. I could ask the cane furniture people to make something to match but that would be very $$$!

It needs to look OK - not too scruffy - because the deck is quite neat. I could ask the cane furniture people to make something to match but that would be very $$$!

Try looking at some of the Asian import houses - I am thinking something like a cane cupboard - take off the doors, hang a curtain part-way and voila - cane canine cubby!!

Google "cane furniture" and it's amazing - maybe time to haunt the second hand shops and garage sales?

Crate?

Try looking at some of the Asian import houses - I am thinking something like a cane cupboard - take off the doors, hang a curtain part-way and voila - cane canine cubby!!

Google "cane furniture" and it's amazing - maybe time to haunt the second hand shops and garage sales?

I like these , much better than my stupid idea :)

Saw recently on TV where a couple had made a nice shady bed for their dog using a wooden (buildup kit) kids sandbox with shadecover cover and a nice soft mat. Have seen the same sandbox with shadecover advertised recently here(possiably Toys R Us). They were using it in a yard where there was no other shade for the dog and the dog spent quiet a bit of time outside, can't remember the breed might have even been a Lab, certainly a breed in that size range.

Dogs always know the coolest spots to be on a hot day, bet if you checked the temerature differences you would want to join your pup on a hot day.