Liver

chuckie500

I often buy chicken livers. They are a good size for smaller dogs without having to cut them up. And I had lambs fry the other night and the dogs shared it with me :thumbsup: They have it once or twice a week. Not for the whole meal - just some added to their wings or necks.

A prey animal is about 3 - 5% liver by weight. So, if you're doing a raw diet, I'd aim in that range.

Feed way more than that and you could theoretically get vit A or Cu toxicity, although I've never heard of it happening to a dog in real life (vit A toxicosis does happen to cats, though).

Edited by Staranais

I'd give the Cavaliers (around 7-8 kilos in weight) one chicken liver each once or twice a week. Though we can go weeks and not have chicken liver. I tend to swap around quite a bit with meals. :thumbsup: They might have some BARF patty instead.

I just feed raw, Erny. I buy human grade offal. Do I need to worry? I've fed for years without any problems.

I can't remember the nitty gritty and proper techno speak but I do understand that human grade or not, it's safer to either cook, or deep freeze for 3 weeks and then thaw, first. They can't all the time guarantee there's no cysts/parasite thingies in the liver (even human grade) but we generally cook it for ourselves (if you're into liver, that is :thumbsup:) so I guess it wouldn't be too big a concern. But the dogs eat it raw and it is possible for these 'nasties' to transfer.

I could look up notes to make the above sound a bit more sensible, but am in the midst of something else at the moment so I'm taking a lazy short cut :confused:.

Edited by Erny

Hi,

After a discussion on this forum a few were concerned over the liver freezing method.

I was in a different state then and found out for the information that was wanted, it would be best to contact the Agricultural Department or it equivalent which I did.

Most unfortunately after several inquiries and no replies I left the state.

We know that many processes over the years do change but until conformation from DPI or similar body I boil it at very high temperatures for a long time to kill the Hydatids Cyst should there be any.

I use bullocks liver never sheep or play it safe and use chicken as suggested.

I have also cut it into thin strips and cooked it in the microwave at full bast till it is fully cooked.

Also in Tasmania I have seen signs in the butcher departments that it is illegal to feed liver to dogs in this State.

It's illegal to feed raw ruminant or pig liver here, too, it must be cooked - I think you can feed raw chicken liver, although I'm not sure about that. Also a legal requirement to cook lungs before feeding, and to freeze sheep meat thoroughly.

Oakway's right, it's best to check what's legal for your state. No one is likely to find out if you feed it raw, but the controls are there for a good reason - hydatids isn't nice.

Also in Tasmania I have seen signs in the butcher departments that it is illegal to feed liver to dogs in this State.

Yep, true - cooked or uncooked

From the DPI website:

It remains illegal in Tasmania to feed or allow dogs access to cooked or uncooked offal from cattle, sheep, goats or pigs. Offal refers to all internal organs from these types of animals.

Fresh livers and hearts from butchers shops and supermarkets should not be fed to dogs.

http://www.dpiw.tas.gov.au/inter.nsf/WebPa...ART-6SA36R?open

It remains illegal in Tasmania to feed or allow dogs access to cooked or uncooked offal from cattle, sheep, goats or pigs. Offal refers to all internal organs from these types of animals.

Fresh livers and hearts from butchers shops and supermarkets should not be fed to dogs.

Wow, that's such a pity! I wonder why. Dogs aren't going to get anything from well cooked liver. And I don't know how you'd do a raw diet without liver & green tripe & other offal (not without a lot of supplements, anyway).

I was in a different state then and found out for the information that was wanted, it would be best to contact the Agricultural Department or it equivalent which I did.

Wow!! That's certainly a dramatic way to make a stand!!

:laugh:

:laugh:

:) :D :)

I had better watch my terminology.

Unfortunately I left the state before I received a reply.

:) ;) :laugh:

:confused:

Indeed!! :rofl:

I didn't realise that you are not allowed to even feed cooked liver in Tassie.

Staranais, we can't get green tripe here.

Really? Is it a legal thing in NSW (that you can't buy green tripe for pets), or it's just not available?

Chuckie500, the liver treats would be fine so long as they're just liver (some low quality "liver" treats contain weird things like sugar, flavours, colours, grains, etc) - check the packet.

Really? Is it a legal thing in NSW (that you can't buy green tripe for pets), or it's just not available?

Chuckie500, the liver treats would be fine so long as they're just liver (some low quality "liver" treats contain weird things like sugar, flavours, colours, grains, etc) - check the packet.

I don't think you can buy green tripe anywhere in Australia. Someone please feel free to let me know if I'm wrong?