Tattoo Ears

Guest muttrus

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In NSW, that tiny little tattoo can save a small fortune in rego fees for an impounded dog, $40 versus $150.

A dog must be chipped & registered prior to release to the owner.

If they can produce the desexing certificate, then great, but if no paperwork or no visible tattoo then your $110 worse off.

This is so common where a change of owner form is not completed & processed. Technically the dog is still identified (if chipped) with the original owner & they are also responsible for all fees & fines.

Next bit way off topic, but feel it's worth remembering........

A visit to the pound can be very expesnsive.

Impound release fee $25, Chip $40, Rego $40/$150, boarding fee $16 per day etc & even vet fees when deemed necessary.

Then the potential council fines, examples:

Penalty notices issued under the Act

Animal not permanently identified (microchipped) . . . $165

Animal not registered . . . . . . . . . . $165

Failure to notify change of address/owner . . . . . . $165

Failure to prevent dog escaping . . . . . . $220

Dog not on lead in public place . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $220

Dog in prohibited place . . . . . $330

http://www.dlg.nsw.gov.au/dlg/dlghome/dlg_...;index=302#Dogs

Sorry for going off topic :rofl:

Chipps

Edited by Chipps

My girl was desexed in Brisbane about 2 months ago and she was given a tattoo.

When I took her back to get the stiches out I noticed the vet had a poster on the wall alerting owners to the tattoo and asking them to discuss with the vet if they had any objections (don't know if this means the tattoo is optional)

For my girl its a very tiny mark and the ink is so light its not actually visable unless you are really looking for it.

When I've dropped animals in to be desexed, there has always been a check box on the consent form about the tattoo - plus the vet has always double checked with me.

Our GSD pups are done at 7 weeks - they generally yelp, get a cuddle, lick the tattooists nose and after a snooze, all is well again :confused: Never had puppies scratch or be bothered by them.

My GSD's have their breed tattoo and a desex one, but I can tell you not all pound staff even bother to look in ears. And you would be surprised how many dont even know that sheppies , kelpies or vizslas are tattooed.

"I guess in the unfortunate event she got lost, and we couldn't be contacted (unlikely since she's microchipped), at least they won't try to desex her again before rehoming."

This is so true. Something I would not have thought about until I got my rescue BC. She was 10 yrs old and no tattoo was evident so unsure if she was desexed or not. Had to keep a close eye on her but she did not come into season. Did not want to operate on her because of her age and heart murmur.

A vet once told me that they can try and feel for scar tissue which can indicate the dog has been desexed

Both my girls got tattoos when they were desexed, for some reason Tessas seems to have disappeared though, almost as though her skin has absorbed the ink

"I guess in the unfortunate event she got lost, and we couldn't be contacted (unlikely since she's microchipped), at least they won't try to desex her again before rehoming."

A vet once told me that they can try and feel for scar tissue which can indicate the dog has been desexed

It can but not always the case. Scar tissue is not really a good indication a bitch has been desexed. She may have been bred from and had a caesar, she may have had any other number of stomach surgeries too. I had a few rescues with scar tissue, I still had them opened up. From memory there were about 5 and only two of them were already desexed.

Edited by Clyde

interestingly, I have never seen a desexed tattoo in NZ either, BUT I do have three bichon X maltese clients that have a number tattoo in their ear. Two of them are puppies from the same litter and they had them right from the get-go, well before either were desexed, so obviously an identification thing by the breeder??? They are definitely cross breeds, and must have been done when awake? Interesting...

• 2 weeks later...

Quite a few Weimaraner breeders still tattoo as well as microchip their pups prior to leaving... even if only a few rescues you tell sit up and take notice that a breed club tattoos, it might help if that breed comes through that rescue or pound... Just another form of identification at least back to the breeder... in saying that we currently have a weimaraner rescue in WA who's tattoo we cannot trace at all :shrug:

My wei is tattoo'd (she's from QLD), but as far as I know, no breeders in WA do it anymore. My wei from WA early 90s was also tattoo'd.

As for desexing tattoo - I've never had an issue with it being done... I haven't seen the M tattoo before for microchipping, but that is a great idea also.

My ridgie girl has a breeder tattoo in one ear and a desexed tattoo in the other. Ridgebacks are still tattooed here in WA, although I dont know if all breeders do it.

Our kelpie also has a desexed tattoo...

None of the tattoos are really dark, or obvious, and you really need to search for the desexed tatts.

Our last dog was a stray (he got his wings last year after 15 wonderful years with us) and I distinctly remember having a conversation with my Dad about the tatoo in Comet's ear meaning he was castrated, lack of testicles also gave it away. Dad still insisted in taking him to the vet for his first check up and telling them to desex him! I think they might have had a chuckle at poor Dad's expense! We certainly did :shrug: