Disturbing Sight At Pet Store Today.

Jimmay

So I was shopping with a friend in Sunnybank Plaza when I came across a pet store. Actually I think I smelt it before I even saw it, the stench coming from it was foul. It had puppies in the window and I just couldn't help myself I had to go in and have a look around.

I get to a glass tank with about 10 male mince inside. They were all in horrible condition, riddled with mites and covered in red scabs, they were all huddled together looking very poorly, eyes glazed over, miserable. Thats when I noticed one mouse was gnawing on the back of another one, I looked closer and when it moved it's head there was a bloody hole in the back of this other mouse! It was getting eaten alive! I walked up to the service lady and told her what was happening, she said something along the lines of "oh they have mites at the moment, is that what you're talking about, I haven't noticed any hole?" I got her to come over and have a look and when she saw it she nearly threw up. She quickly grabbed the mouse and ran out the back with it, I didn't have time to be hanging around so I left.

What should I do from this point, report it to the RSPCA? Would they even do anything? I feel horrible about the whole situation and every animal in that store looked in poor condition. Poor things. :laugh:

Definatley report to the RSPCA. I reported an extreme over-crowding of mice in a pet shop, along with under weight dogs and puppies to the RSPCA, and two weeks later the pet shop was clean, had less mice and no more under weight dogs and puppies. (Still a pet shop selling live animals though :laugh: )

So the RSPCA do take it seriously in my experience :)

Why don't you also report it to the Plaza management if the shop stunk. Tell them the stench coming from the pet shop is putting you off shopping at the centre. They may apply some pressure to keep it cleaner at least.

efs

Edited by Diva

The other thing to try and do is take some photos, most people have mobile phones these days that have cameras, just do it without owner/store assistant knowing :confused: then at least there will be evidence for RSPCA, try to take some of shop surrounds as well so that you can tell which pet shop the photos were taken in so no backing out from owner.

Wish i'd have thought of that, I don't live in the area though so won't really get the chance to go back. :confused: Unless they have a phone number/email address somewhere.

Google the shopping center, they may have a website where you can get an email / phone number from

Wish i'd have thought of that, I don't live in the area though so won't really get the chance to go back. :confused: Unless they have a phone number/email address somewhere.

Sunnybank Plaza

office level

Cnr Mains Rd & McCullough St

SUNNYBANK QLD 4109

mailing address

PO Box 85

SUNNYBANK QLD 4109

telephone

07 3345 7500

fascimile

07 3345 5977

Definatley report to the RSPCA. I reported an extreme over-crowding of mice in a pet shop, along with under weight dogs and puppies to the RSPCA, and two weeks later the pet shop was clean, had less mice and no more under weight dogs and puppies. (Still a pet shop selling live animals though :thumbsup: )

So the RSPCA do take it seriously in my experience :D

They do....they closed a pet shop closed down once after animals were reported in poor condition......

Got a reply from the RSPCA.

Hi Krystle,

I have forwarded your concern onto the area Inspector. The job number that has been assigned is 232366.

Regards

And the Sunnybank Plaza management.

Krystle,

Thank you for your email.

We have raised your concerns with the tenant and asked that they address these immediately.

Thanks and regards

Nick

:)

Edited by Jimmay