Triple Pelvic Osteotomy

Hi Sezz, Merry christmas to Juno. I hope things are going well. I was trying to think what other toys we used for Mokha but the Nylabone was the best along with his Kong. I froze things like carrots and beans in with some canned food or chicken stock, low salt one. That would keep him happy while watching Snow Dogs on video. Mokha did put on a little weight, about a kilo while confined and on exercise restriction but we worked that off swimming when he was allowed. Thats why I loved the nylabone, no calories. I would sometimes wipe a bit of peanut butter or honey on it just to make it more interesting. The more he chewed on it the rougher the surface on it was so it would take a while to get it out.

Hi every one! Hope you all had a great Christmas!

We went down to Melbourne today to have the stitches out and a post op check. The vet is very happy with her :shrug:

I was a bit worried she may have walked on it too much because she has been so hard to keep still! The vet said now she's past the first 2 weeks to just use our common sense when it comes to how much activity she's allowed. He said we can take her for a 5 min walk outside now when she gets really bored :cheer: I didn't think we'd be able to for awhile! He also told me she lept out of the crate the morning after her surgery!The staff didn't tell me that when I asked if she was a good girl! What a maniac.

She's a lot sturdier than last week and has all of her energy and strength back. She has no trouble sitting,lying down and standing so that makes life a lot easier now we can ask her sit, down etc. This week I've sat with her in the backyard a few times to give her a change of scenery. We had a nice sit under a leafy bush yesterday. She gets a big smile on her face when we go outside. She hasn't shown much interest in food at all so it's been insane keeping her still and quiet when she's not sleepy! She's taken too burying everything I give her in the blanket at the back of her crate instead of eating it. It does keep her distracted for awhile though! The first time we saw he doing it it looked like she was trying to get the wrinkles out of her blanket with her nose! :D

Hi Poochiemama!

We did a bit of targeting when we were going to puppy school a couple of months ago but I haven't tried it with the clicker. We were just bridging it wih a 'yes.' I have had a bit of trouble getting started with the clicker training because she hasn't been showing much interest in food. Targeting might make it a little easier because it's something we've done a bit of before, I'm going to try it with her dinner tonight!!

The crating is going a lot better now. She still gets the sooks a little when she's bored but has learnt I'm not going to even give her eye contact if she's screaming the house down. (She's an amstaff so quite vocal!) Peanut butter is a godsend! SHe has only bothered with a couple of the bones she's been given but peanut butter in a kong never fails!!

Good to hear Charlie's physio is going well. Our vet hasn't mentioned anything yet, I think he's waiting until after op 2. I will definitely look into underwater treadmills for when she's ready. They have one at the Melbourne vet we are going to but we've just moved to country Victoria. I do't mind travelling for the ops but hopefullly there I'll be able to find something a little closer for physio.

Thanks for the link! I'm glad that's been posted in here to so future DOLers should be able to find it! I hope someone does find this thread useful, I was so nervous about the recovery period because I had no idea what to expect!

I'll try burying some treats, she'll probably find them and bury them again! I guess at least I won't have to worry about her putting on weight! It so strange having a dog that isn't very food oriented. Our 10 yr old stafford is absolutely food obsessed!

Hi Mokhahouse!

Juno's Nylabone finally arrived today but she's sleeping so I haven't been able to try it out yet. I actually rubbed honey on one of her other chew toys to get her interest! It seems peanut butter and honey are the easiest ways to keep a dog interested in something! SNOWDOGS! That is too cute! Your Mokha is a special boy indeed! My sisters cat likes to watch the news :o:laugh: I was a bit worried at first of Juno putting on weight due to the confinement but it seems she's put herself on a diet! She is eating a small breakfast most days then won't really eat again until dinner. I really wish she'd show more interest in bones though!

Edited by Sezz

• 2 weeks later...

3 weeks down now, 3 to go until her next appointment and most likely next round of surgery!

Week 3 brought quite a few changes I wasn't expecting to see. I didn't think we'd see physical benefits of the surgery until we were into the healing stages of surgery 2.

Juno can now roll on her back! As a pup she didn;t ever sleep on her back, roll for a tummy rub and we could not get her to learn roll over in puppy preschool. I get the biggest smile on my face whenever I see my little girl sleeping on her back or rolling over in her sleep. :laugh:

She used to strech by lying on her tum and stretching from toe to toe but she can know do a proper lean back into the hips dog strech.

I thought she had energy back week 2 but because she's been feeling so much better she thinks she can act like a maniac! I have to keep an even closer eye on her now!

SHe know has a good level of focus to be able to start doing training thank goodness! We started with the clicker last week. She was doing very well with targeting but then my clicker broker. :laugh: Don't know why but we should receive a new one in the mail soon. I've been running her through commands she already knows while we wait shake hands, high five, down etc. I haven't seen her so focused before! I think the boredom has her keen to do anything with her brain!

Mokhahouse: Thanks for the reccommendation of the Nylabone. She loves it. I have on had to put peanut butter on it a few times. She has also been enjoying a bit of banana in her Kong. I will have to try freezing her some treats this week because she's been eyeing me off whenever I have an icepole!

The surgeon said we can now do 5 min walks when she gets really bored but I've just been walking her around the back yard at the moment to avoid too much excitement. She's happy with that though. She just loves going out and having a good sniff of everything.

A Bare bummed Juno enjoying the shade of her favourite bush.

SAM_0683.jpg

Edited by Sezz

So glad its an all positive update. I know what you mean about Juno lying on her back because Mokha rarely lies on his back because of his hips. I am glad the nylabone is working. I also dip it in chicken stock Mokha loves that and not to many calories.

I hope everything continues to go well.

Happy to hear that Juno is recovering well. One of our golden retrievers was diagnosed with Bad Hip Displaysia at 5 months of age and she ended up having TPO surgery on each hip. It was a relatively new surgery in back then. When she had it done the oldest dog to have had it done was around seven so we really weren't sure of what her long term prognosis would be but we wanted to give her every chance. She ended up living to 13 1/2 years without any lameness or any other side effects. Unfortunately it was Cancer that got her in the end :crossfingers: