Apartment Dogs

aitewan

Should I reconsider?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Should I reconsider

• YES
    • NO

Hi Guys, I have eight beautiful pointer pups, four weeks old. Five have selected (!) new owners and I am confident the three remaining will find new homes in the coming weeks due to the level of interest.

I have a problem though. I had a query from a lovely Colombian couple living in an apartment in Melbourne. I met them but after consulting the web, my vet, other breeders, dog owners and apartment dwellers I informed them that I couldn't abide one of my dogs living in an apartment all day, unstimulated and potentially going crazy. They are devastated and are urging me to reconsider. I still feel quite strongly about it, but thought this community could lend some advice...........

Thanks guys.

PS - THIS IS PART OF AN EMAIL I RECEIVED TONIGHT

Please do not do this to us (Re: puppy)‏

Hi,

Just wanted to ask you to reconsider your decision. We are devastated since yesterday when we received the bad news from you. I promise your dog will have the best life any other dog could have. You can come and visit when ever you want, we can take the dog to you when ever you want so you can see that he is progressing well , we can send you photos, etc. My wife works close to home so she would be able to come and check on the dogs and taking them for a walk, in fact we were thinking about that before you gave us the bad news. We'll put him on a puppy school.

I understand your concerns, but once again, I can assure that the dog will be fine. i've read that dogs get use to their owners lifestyle. But no in a miserable way, they are happy dogs. Just like our Jack Russell, one of the most active breeds. At the beginning, he chew many things (cables, shoes, furniture, etc) but progressively, he got use to his lifestyle and now he spends most of the time between the leaving room, the balcony or our room sleeping or just chilling (not crying or barking desperately). As I told you before, He's got three walks a day where he runs and quite often play with other dogs, it's very friendly and sociable. I'm pretty sure him and Lucio (your puppy) will get along very well.

Well this is just a note to tell you how much we want one of your dogs.

I look forward to hearing form you (hopefully good news).

Regards,

UPDATE - For anyone that is interested this issue attracted significant interest at http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...mp;hl=apartment

Edited by aitewan

they sound very genuine, but a gun dog in a apt?

no.

If they really have thier hearts set on a dog and THAT dog, can they move?

you can hold onto dog when they have a suitable property.

I really feel for you, they do sound ideal BUT is this what you want for your dog, and have the possibility of pup returned in a few weeks because *you were right, he doesnt suit apt life*?

I have mixed feelings, as someone who lives with a Pointer my inital reaction was NO WAY!

However, upon consideration it would be a MAYBE....the reason being, I never let my Pointer stay outside while I am not at home, he is always locked up in the house which can be for many hours whilst I am at work. There has only been the odd occasions when I know that I might be gone all day that he is left out but he is still locked up in a kennel or puppy run.

WHY - because he would literally run all day long to the point of exhaustion and beyond!

We do live on acreage though so he does have ample running and free play time throughout the day.

My biggest concern would be that Pointer's birdy instinct is strong, super strong, the fact that they have a balcony that the dog could spend time on would freak me out!!! There is no way my Pointer would ever be let on a balcony, I swear he would jump right off it without a second thought when he is preoccupied with birdie's.

Aitewan, we've discussed this in length already. You know what my thoughts are.

But I would possibly consider going to their apartment and seeing what the set up is? Where they would walk/exercise their puppy. It does sound to me that they are genuine. My parents had a pointer living in an appartment in poland some 30 years ago (yeh I know it was ages ago). The dog was their whole life and went everywhere they could take him with them. They had to go down an elevator some 8 stories to walk him and allow him to have a run at the park over the road. He stayed indoors otherwise and slept on their couch and bed.

I would check a couple of things before saying no. Check the size of the apparentment, where he/she would sleep and also where they intend to let the dog OFF leash (walking isnt good enough as you know...) Also you may like to ask them, do they have a weight limit on pets they can keep in the appartment? Sometimes body coorporate doesnt allow a dog over 10kgs. A pointer will be that at like 4 months!

To be honest. I'd rather a pointer live in a appartment that live locked up outside never to come inside. You would be guaranteed the dog would have HEAPS of human interaction which we both know how much pointers need. Sometimes peoples living arrangements arent the best, but they could make superb owners. Remember. How many pointers live int he UK in apparentments??? They dont have the luxury's we have here...

Let me know how you go Aitewan. And POST SOME PICTURES!!!!

My ex & I had 2 Standard Poodles & a GSP in a small house with a tiny yard in Prahran (inner-city Melbourne). Like Tashnchief, out dogs were inside during the day. They had an hour's walk in the morning before I went to work and in the evening my ex or myself, or both of us, would take them to the local off-lead park for a good 2-2 1/2 hour romp & play with their friends - I don't think it was too bad a life! When we bought the place at Yarrambat, with 2+ acres from them to run around in, they were usually lying out in the sun sleeping, or begging to come inside & sleep. :laugh:

Edited by poodlemum

My thoughts are "NO WAY" :laugh:

We stayed at a friends appartment in Sydney for a week earlier this year.... on the 5th floor was a beautiful cream Labrador. Whenever we were outside (one time for 2 hours) the poor thing just looked at us from the window :laugh: as if he was saying.... "get me out of here, I just want to be out side in the fresh air and with the people" We never saw the owners bring him/her down to the grassed area or take him/her out (not that we were always there and or looking). I felt so sorry for this dog.... it's just not natural for a bigish dog to be couped up all day like that. :)

As these people are (or appear to be) great owners who will care & love their puppy unconditionally, perhaps you can suggest to them that it's not about them, it's about the dog and once they have moved into a suitable property with a yard, you would be happy to help them find a new puppy.

Wow!

:laugh: indeed.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read, contemplate, vote and reply. You've offered some very compelling considerations both ways. However, there are so many risks and "what ifs" attached to placing a dog with these guys. Like all of you I love my dogs (probably too much!). As I read Rottsup's comments about the Labrador ("get me out of here, I just want to be out side in the fresh air and with the people") my own boy started some neurotic behavior because he hadn’t yet been on a walk today (he has now, a long one!). As Marinapoint says, what about the off lead areas? I work nearby where these guys live and there is no way they could achieve it daily. My dogs like lounging around and snooze with the best of them, but they have the opportunity to chase a bird or a fly or poo without guilt behind some bush and snoop and bark at the people passing the front and back gates. All in between snoozes of course!

I guiltily admit I miss days walking my dogs. I get sick. I get stuck at work. But I know in the back of my mind that on the occasions this happens they’ve at least had a run in the yard, pooing and barking and snooping! If I was in an apartment I wouldn’t have this luxury. Even if I saw where they live it wouldn't matter, and the buildings do have restrictions.

It's not about them, it is about the dog. Maybe they can move to a suitable property with a yard, and then I would be happy to help them find a new puppy.

I think they are very genuine - and I do feel for them - but the potential for a very unhappy dog is all too great for mine. It really is a shame because they would love the dog no doubt, but given the responses here, my gut feeling and all advice received I have become even more resolute. I will help them any way I can, now or in the future but to (once again) quote thank you, “no way”. I can’t do it. It makes me sad.

Thanks again.

post-35158-1292661563_thumb.jpg

post-35158-1292661992_thumb.jpg

Edited by aitewan

Wow!

:confused: indeed.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read, contemplate, vote and reply. You've offered some very compelling considerations both ways. However, there are so many risks and "what ifs" attached to placing a dog with these guys. Like all of you I love my dogs (probably too much!). As I read Rottsup's comments about the Labrador ("get me out of here, I just want to be out side in the fresh air and with the people") my own boy started some neurotic behavior because he hadn’t yet been on a walk today (he has now, a long one!). As Marinapoint says, what about the off lead areas? I work nearby where these guys live and there is no way they could achieve it daily. My dogs like lounging around and snooze with the best of them, but they have the opportunity to chase a bird or a fly or poo without guilt behind some bush and snoop and bark at the people passing the front and back gates. All in between snoozes of course!

I guiltily admit I miss days walking my dogs. I get sick. I get stuck at work. But I know in the back of my mind that on the occasions this happens they’ve at least had a run in the yard, pooing and barking and snooping! If I was in an apartment I wouldn’t have this luxury. Even if I saw where they live it wouldn't matter, and the buildings do have restrictions.

It's not about them, it is about the dog. Maybe they can move to a suitable property with a yard, and then I would be happy to help them find a new puppy.

I think they are very genuine - and I do feel for them - but the potential for a very unhappy dog is all too great for mine. It really is a shame because they would love the dog no doubt, but given the responses here, my gut feeling and all advice received I have become even more resolute. I will help them any way I can, now or in the future but to (once again) quote thank you, “no way”. I can’t do it. It makes me sad.

Thanks again.

Aitewan, you are doing the right thing by your puppies AND you are doing the right thing by your buyers AND you are doing the right thing for yourself (peace of mind) The photo's of your pups are beautiful. Thank you for sharing :laugh: