Act Rspca

SkySoaringMagpie

On the news this morning I heard that St Vincent De Paul in some NSW town is seeking greater government support because the human need in their area has gone up 4-fold in recent times. Also another charity organisation mentioned in the story noted that the requests by low income families for assistance with bills has increased 75%. I imagine that the needs of animals in the community parallels some of the struggles that families have to contend with.

Do you guys want to have a kick at those charities too, for not managing their expenditure better?

Have those charities also got this sort of wording in their news release?

"The RSPCA said it continued to operate under outdated assessments of its cost pressures."

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The RSPCA said it continued to operate under outdated assessments of its cost pressures.

Why? Do they not have an accounts manager? Any business or charity whose assessment of costs is not up to date is sunk.

SOuff

The 'outdated assessments' refer to the critieria by which the Government assesses what annual funding the RSPCA ACT will get.

The article states that a case had been made to negotiate increased funding in line with 40% rise in service- demand since 2005.

But the Government had failed to take this need into consideration. Rather, Treasury is asking those groups, like the RSCPA, making submissions for the 2011-2012 financial year, to scale back spending, despite any increase in demand over recent years.

Edited by mita

The 'outdated assessments' refer to the critieria by which the Government assesses what annual funding the RSPCA ACT will get.

The article states that a case had been made to negotiate increased funding in line with 40% rise in service- demand since 2005.

But the Government had failed to take this need into consideration. Rather, Treasury is asking those groups, like the RSCPA, making submissions for the 2011-2012 financial year, to scale back spending, despite any increase in demand over recent years.

Thank you for the detailed explanation Mita.

Not much point in making a thread on the RSPCA on DOL and expecting balanced discussion. There is a vocal cohort of people on DOL that have their minds made up that RSPCA deserves only criticism and will hear no good of the organisation. Their veiws are not strongly reflected outside DOL however and the RSPCA remains a respected organisation in the broader community, and it is widely recognised that it is staffed by people who genuinely care about animals and do their best for them. In so far as the RSPCA enjoys broad popular support, it can be seen that their policies that attract some of the most vitriolic criticism on DOL, are at least tacitly supported elsewhere.

Important to remember that DOL is a very small community of people with a particular narrow area of interst in common. Within DOL the RSPCA-haters are a narrower group again. Just having the loudest voice doesnt make a veiw mainstream.

Then why do the cat, horse, poultry and other animal people I talk to have the same opinion? I was actually surprised about the number of non DOL people who think the same about the rspca. If you actually spoke to people who breed and show other types of animals you'll find the same anti-rspca attitude. I also know a number of people who don't breed or show that have had negative experiences with them as well, and they aren't on DOL being brainwashed by us. So sorry, you are wrong.

Maybe you are too young to remember the first inklings of trouble with them, there was a very good four corners episode a while back exposing a lot of rot within, and things haven't changed much since then.

Yes, the 'outdated assessments' were made by the Government. The RSPCA claims it's ignoring service demand increases since 2005.

You stated that the RSPCA's assessment of costs was not up to date.

Edited by mita

I think we should judge each states RSPCA on their own merit, under the larger national umbrella they have opened themseleves up for criticism, especially as they're a law unto themselves & making it harder for other rescue orgs.

ACT is probably one of the better operations, especially as they've been against BSL from the start, though i'm against mandatory desexing.

Edited by geo

Yes, the 'outdated assessments' were made by the Government. The RSPCA claims it's ignoring service demand increases since 2005.

You stated that the RSPCA's assessment of costs was not up to date.

Mita,

I quoted the wording from the article:

"The RSPCA said it continued to operate under outdated assessments of its cost pressures."

In that article I do not recall seeing any explanation from the RSPCA to say that those outdated cost assessments were made by government and the explanation you have given on behalf of the RSPCA is very good.

Perhaps if that had been put into the media article it would have been clearer to the general public too.

Souff

They will get none of my money. I understand the workers on the floor do their best, they just happen to work for an organisation that has policies which go against my belief system.

On the news this morning I heard that St Vincent De Paul in some NSW town is seeking greater government support because the human need in their area has gone up 4-fold in recent times. Also another charity organisation mentioned in the story noted that the requests by low income families for assistance with bills has increased 75%. I imagine that the needs of animals in the community parallels some of the struggles that families have to contend with.

Do you guys want to have a kick at those charities too, for not managing their expenditure better?

Having more demand for services because of the worst floods in decades is a little different to the demand the RSPCA has every year at this time.

The Canberra branch says it is critically under-funded, requiring an additional $674,184 a year in government funding, on top of $3million it plans to fund-raise next year.

I don't see why they have to get $0.01 of my hard earned tax money. Every year they cry poor and people feel sorry for them.

If you want to help - go donate a bag of dog food to the poor guys in the ACT pound.

And before anyone asks - I have had several run-in's with the RSPCA over the years and I have a lovely tape of one their "senior" staffers who called my answering machine a few years ago. The language was interesting to say the least - maybe I should give a copy to the Canberra Times??

I think that each state RSPCA should be looked at individually - they are all run differently.

EVERYONE - public, charities, etc are feeling the pinch. My understanding of the request for funds was due to the shortfall of Govt contributions for such things RSPCA does rather than the local Govt.

Yarrowfell, I can understand your comments on the past. RSPCA-ACT have been very pro-active more recently with changes of staff, etc and have made a big effort to work with rescue, once a dog has passed its assessments it is held until a home is found, they are helping dogs out in the community more than I have ever seen before. I have regarded the local organisation with caution in the past, but over the past year or so they have really been working hard. I can't knock them for trying to change things and make them better than they were.

I don't really feel sorry for them at all, as mentioned there are MANY charities needing help and they all endeavour to do as much as they can to fulfill their funding burdens.

DOL just really annoys me sometimes with those that just love to jump in and lay boot in while someone is down or in trouble.

R

Edited by Raelene

Why are you all so quick to knock the RSPCA in ACT? They are the only RSPCA who run on a no-kill basis and they do a great job. But I guess you guys do so much rescue yourself so of course, you have every right to sit back and laugh.

Gee when did its no-kill policy come into force???

It certainly wasn't a no-kill shelter when I was last there.

ETA - it gets a lot of government funding as it provides an overflow impounding facility to the government as well. And despite that arrangement, it was sending lots of dogs to the pound anyway, claiming it had no room at its shelter so had to send the dogs elsewhere.

Edited by lillysmum

Why are you all so quick to knock the RSPCA in ACT? They are the only RSPCA who run on a no-kill basis and they do a great job. But I guess you guys do so much rescue yourself so of course, you have every right to sit back and laugh.

It was one of the changes the current CEO brought in.

I don't think they are completely no-kill, they euthanase for health/temperament issues where considered necessary.

efs

Edited by Diva

If you want to help - go donate a bag of dog food to the poor guys in the ACT pound.

I think that is an excellent idea. Donations of dog food and cat food to ANY animal rescue organisation, RSPCA included. Not money. Food for the animals.

That is much more like the spirit of Christmas.

Souff

It certainly wasn't a no-kill shelter when I was last there.

ETA - it gets a lot of government funding as it provides an overflow impounding facility to the government as well. And despite that arrangement, it was sending lots of dogs to the pound anyway, claiming it had no room at its shelter so had to send the dogs elsewhere.

Genuinely no-kill, as in, doesn't kill (healthy & friendly) pitbulls either?

Genuinely no-kill, as in, doesn't kill (healthy & friendly) pitbulls either?

Their CEO owns a pit bull. Doesn't answer your question directly, as I don't know - but he is pibble friendly.

Doesn't answer the question, but still gives me the warm fluffies. ;)

Edited by Staranais

The Canberra branch says it is critically under-funded, requiring an additional $674,184 a year in government funding, on top of $3million it plans to fund-raise next year.

I don't see why they have to get $0.01 of my hard earned tax money. Every year they cry poor and people feel sorry for them.

And before anyone asks - I have had several run-in's with the RSPCA over the years and I have a lovely tape of one their "senior" staffers who called my answering machine a few years ago. The language was interesting to say the least - maybe I should give a copy to the Canberra Times??

Yes, donated food (if you give it to the RSPCA) is not used in its shelters due to the commercial deal it has/had with Hills. Instead, if the food has not been opened or tampered with in any way, it will sit in storage and it may eventually be delivered to pet owners who are struggling to feed their animals. But the ACT shelter had a whole storage room full of donated food, and bins full of "opened" donated food that was not provided to pet owners in need for months if at all.

Donate to your local pound or rescue instead. They will be grateful for the help and will use what is given in the spirit of its having been given. That is, it will be used as expected and it won't be sitting around gathering dust. JMO.