Dog Killer Jailed For 5 Months

AN Ottoway man who slit the throat of a "defenceless" dog has been the first to be jailed in South Australia since new animal cruelty legislation was introduced in 2008.

Trevor James Bond, 48, was today found guilty in the Port Adelaide Magistrates Court of one count of ill-treating an animal to cause death.

The former butcher inflicted five cuts on his ex-partner's male keeshond, Nikki, when he "blew a fuse" and snapped in a drunken rage after quarelling with the woman, causing the dog to lose consciousness and bleed to death.

One of the five wounds was 11.5cm long.

Bond had pleaded not guilty to the charge.

At trial, Blair Tremaine, for Bond, told the court it was not illegal to slit the dog's throat.

But Magistrate Paul Foley today found Bond guilty and said he had offered "no real explanation".

"You had an argument with your partner, the owner of the dog, and killed the dog as some way of getting back at your partner," Mr Foley said.

"In doing so, you killed a healthy dog, which knew you and in the way that dogs do, no doubt trusted you."

Mr Foley said he could not suspend the five month jail term because the crime was too serious.

Sophie Downey, for the RSPCA, told the court it was hard to imagine Nikki enduring any more suffering than the "prolonged and agonising death" he suffered at the hands of someone he probably trusted.

"Violence towards an animal is not to be tolerated and these sorts of crimes are to be taken seriously," Ms Downey said.

"We are privileged to have these animals in our lives and that cannot be abused for gratuitous purposes."

Mr Tremaine told the court his client suffered alcoholism and had been threatened following media publication of the trial.

Outside court, RSPCA chief inspector Simon Richards said he hoped the sentence would send a message that people can be jailed if found guilty of animal cruelty offences.

"People now know magistrates are prepared to send people to prison," Mr Richards said.

"In cases such as this we hope it will be a strong deterrent."

Link

Glad it wasn't just a meaningless fine. I thought the comments by the judge were spot on, too.

I would have liked to have seen a five YEAR sentence, but knowing that to be an impossible outcome I am pleased that he has been given jail time. The judges comments show him to be a compassionate person with a realisation that animals deserve protection from monstrous acts of cruelty ;)

Good to see some jail time... and to know that animal cruelty is being taken seriously.

Let's hope this is the catalyst for change, and a trend follows.

We can't keep turning a blind eye and slapping these people on the wrists. They are just wrong, there is something not right with them.

RIP Nikki, rest easy knowing your death meant something at least.

Trevor James Bond, 48, was today found guilty in the Port Adelaide Magistrates Court of one count of ill-treating an animal to cause death.

5 MONTHS.. ITS GOOD.. BUT NOT ENOUGH IN MY OPINION!

At trial, Blair Tremaine, for Bond, told the court it was not illegal to slit the dog's throat.

BLAIR TREMAINE - U DESERVE 5 MONTHS JUST FOR SAYING THAT! :vomit::)

"Violence towards an animal is not to be tolerated and these sorts of crimes are to be taken seriously," Ms Downey said. :)

"We are privileged to have these animals in our lives and that cannot be abused for gratuitous purposes."

/quote]

STRONGER PENALTIES NEED TO BE IN PLACE! This disgusts me. If it were a an INNOCENT child and not an INNOCENT dog it would be VERY DIFFERENT STORY!

The TRAUMA, THE PAIN. For the Dog AND THE OWNER.. My god, I could not imagine the pain and suffering endured :) :D

:(

This low life thug is out, was seen going to and from his subsidised housing commision appartment approx 6 days after he was put inside-- one time accordingto hearsay under the influence of something.

I suppose the coppers are saying" yeah well its only Trevor Bond and as SA Govt tax collectors we have our quota of trivial traffic tickets to write to bring in $ to support polli trips OS."

Edited by RadarJuniorDog
:D

This low life thug is out, was seen going to and from his subsidised housing commision appartment approx 6 days after he was put inside-- one time accordingto hearsay under the influence of something.

I suppose the coppers are saying" yeah well its only Trevor Bond and as SA Govt tax collectors we have our quota of trivial traffic tickets to write to bring in $ to support polli trips OS."

Why is it the police's fault? They did their job.

• 1 month later...

R.I.P nikki you poor dog to go that way is horrid and i cant imagine the pain you were in :( wish he got alot longer in jail then what he got. They need to take this more seriously not only are animals suffering cruelty but people are pretty much getting a slap on the wrist :( most serial killers start off killing animals and they are just going to lock him up for 5mnths pff i dont care if he was drunk to me thats no excuse. Should be atleast 5yrs.