Getting Puppy To Sleep Not On The Bed Help Please :)

kitkatswing

So we picked up our beautiful Jack Russell puppy last Thursday.

All is going well, he is learning very quickly, he can sit/stay/come/beg on command already!

Ive started lead training yesterday and its going really really well, he isnt pulling, he comes along nicely (mind you, he is highly motivated by his stomach)...

My one quesiton is, how do I get him to sleep on his own??

We have a fence setup next to my side of the bed, with his bed, toys, towells, puppy pads etc. But he whines and carries on and trys to jump over the fence (its about 2 foot highso he cant make it yet)..

AS soon as I pick him up he settles down to sleep next to me. As much as I love this I dont want it to become a habit. He is good at telling us when he wants to go to the toilet though, he will wake us up to go outside.

He is going to be an outside puppy, so will slowly move him from the bedroom, to the bathroom, then downstairs then outside. Not all at once though.

So, any help would be VERY appreciated!!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Swap the pen for a decent quality crate and weather the whining.

Every time you allow him to sleep with you, you're reinforcing that whining.

Thats what I thought, we should just let him whine? Its horible but I am feling like thats what we have to do....

Thats what I thought, we should just let him whine? Its horible but I am feling like thats what we have to do....

Provided he's comfortable and doesn't need to go to the toilet, ignore it.

You'll probably have to get up at least once during the night for a while to toilet him though. Baby puppies have tiny bladders.

Yes. Otherwise he learns whining = getting attention from the humans and you'll end up with a long term problem. If you can't deal with him in the same room, put him in the lounge room. Although we found our pup squealed more in the lounge but if the crate is in the bedroom there is silence. A crate is better as it's their own little 'secure' den. My boy loooves his crate and often puts himself to bed if he's really tired. If you have a crate for him it can be handy during winter if the weather is bad and you want him inside instead, or if you decide he can sleep in the house. We were going to have ours outside over summer but since the young one is in a crate and so well behaved OH has relented and they stay inside ;)

I just dont like the idea of a crate, I know its probably silly....

Ok, tonight we try a new tactic, ignore ignore ignore.. It works when we are eating, he soon gives up and goes off to play...

He will be an outside dog eventually but I am really hesitant to leave him out at night now, its a bit chilly at night and I think he is too young.

Can you tell Im a first time puppy owner?? (Hubby isnt, but I am)...

Ok, tonight we try a new tactic, ignore ignore ignore.. It works when we are eating, he soon gives up and goes off to play...

He will be an outside dog eventually but I am really hesitant to leave him out at night now, its a bit chilly at night and I think he is too young.

If you used a crate and trained him to sleep in it he could be inside where its out of the elements and he's likely to be quieter at night. ;)

You really need to start as you mean to go on. It's a bit late for the bed issue, but something Ian Dunbar mentions is that it is better to start with a fairly strict set of rules and then relax as the dog is better able to deal with more freedom, than to start with a lot of freedom and then try and take it away.

For example, I think it's pretty unfair to start a dog on your bed, and expect that later he will be happy to live outside. That's much harder on the dog than a crate in the laundry from the very start which stays the rule for the rest of his life.

You really need to start as you mean to go on. It's a bit late for the bed issue, but something Ian Dunbar mentions is that it is better to start with a fairly strict set of rules and then relax as the dog is better able to deal with more freedom, than to start with a lot of freedom and then try and take it away.

For example, I think it's pretty unfair to start a dog on your bed, and expect that later he will be happy to live outside. That's much harder on the dog than a crate in the laundry from the very start which stays the rule for the rest of his life.

He didnt start on the bed, its really only been a few hours each night for the last two nights... Im sure its not too late as its only been a couple of days??

As I said, Im new to this.

;)

kitkatswing ... may I ask why you are planning on having him sleep outside?You are obviously caring, and putting the work in to his training! :rofl: A dog as smart as your little guy would easily take to crate training (no, not a 'prison'..rather a safe 'den' which most dogs love) and therefore would not be outside barking all night at possums/rats/cats/pedestrians/next door noises. :xmascheer:

I don't use a crate .. but can definitely see many benefits , and am happy to suggest their use :rofl:

Here are some articles you may enjoy ;) Oh..and where are the photos ???? :xmassmile:

LINK

LINK

Edited by persephone

Thank you persephone. Really its my hubby who doesnt beleive in crate training at all. Hes a pretty stubborn person and I do agree with him..

We want him to be an outside dog, well honestly because dogs are outside animals. He will be allowed inside of course. But he is a dog, they sleep outside...

Hubby has had many dogs (including a Foxie) and all dogs I know are outside.

Yes Maui will still be spoilt, but also trained properly.

I know everyone has different ideas on how to raise puppies, which is understandable, I was coming here to get a few different ideas. Which have helped. Thank you...

Now, you wanted photos?:

IMG_0571.jpg

163204_10150098516310664_745760663_7821786_5256371_n.jpg

IMG_0551.jpg

We want him to be an outside dog, well honestly because dogs are outside animals. He will be allowed inside of course. But he is a dog, they sleep outside...

Dogs are social animals first and foremost. They prefer to sleep with their pack.

That's you. But its your choice. I'd anticipate some noise issues at night though if he's outside.

He's going to need a very well insulated kennel and if that's where you plan to sleep him, he should be in it ASAP.

Edited by poodlefan

Pretty cute !! Thanks :rofl: He certainly is beautiful and looks happy :rofl:

he is a dog, they sleep outside...

Yes, dogs can happily live outside..and many do. BUT a lot of those that do , behave 'naturally' in the yard , which equates to digging/chewing/barking/howling. ;) All perfectly acceptable doggy behaviours....except in suburbia !!

Terriers are clever and active, and like company. A young dog left outdoors will probably make his own entertainment :xmassmile: usually not what an owner appreciates .

looking forward to more photos as he grows ;)

Dogs are social animals first and foremost. They prefer to sleep with their pack.

That's you. But its your choice. I'd anticipate some noise issues at night though if he's outside.

He's going to need a very well insulated kennel and if that's where you plan to sleep him, he should be in it ASAP.

Of course we expect some issues to start with, happens with any new animal.

He has a very good kennel to go into, he will be in it when he is old enough...

Wow, such varied opinions!!!

You are just confusing him by changing the 'rules'. If you want him outside he should be sleeping outside from day one... If you let him sleep inside now, when the time comes for him to go outside you stand a good chance at ending up with a pup who screams and cries at the back door wanting to come in. We tried that with our youngest and he just didn't get it.. he just wanted to be inside with us where he'd been since he came home, tucked up in his crate. Needless to say, thats where he stays now ;) . Or if you think he must be inside for now because he's too small, at least put him in the laundry so he doesn't get too confused.. then you won't be tempted to let him on the bed either :rofl:

Edited by Bundy's Mum

You are just confusing him by changing the 'rules'. If you want him outside he should be sleeping outside from day one... If you let him sleep inside now, when the time comes for him to go outside you stand a good chance at ending up with a pup who screams and cries at the back door wanting to come in. We tried that with our youngest and he just didn't get it.. he just wanted to be inside with us where he'd been since he came home, tucked up in his crate. Needless to say, thats where he stays now ;) . Or if you think he must be inside for now because he's too small, at least put him in the laundry so he doesn't get too confused.. then you won't be tempted to let him on the bed either :rofl:

Your right, we should move him out from the bedroom asap.... I just think 8 weeks old is too young to be outside yet....

Will see how tonight goes.. I shall be strong and ignore pupppy crys,..

Your right, we should move him out from the bedroom asap.... I just think 8 weeks old is too young to be outside yet....

Can you put him in the laundry with lots of bedding to keep him warm?

My dog is a bit of a princess, I'm sure some dogs would adapt, he is just too people oriented so it didn't work for us. Suits me though, I prefer them inside :rofl:

Can you put him in the laundry with lots of bedding to keep him warm?

My dog is a bit of a princess, I'm sure some dogs would adapt, he is just too people oriented so it didn't work for us. Suits me though, I prefer them inside :rofl:

Thats the next step for us to try!