Getting Puppy To Sleep Not On The Bed Help Please :)

kitkatswing

I don't think anyone wants to argue with you, I certainly don't.

I am all for people doing what they think is the right thing for themselves and thier family and it sounds like your puppy is a very much loved member of the family.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Specifiaclly from my point of view, I don't have any kids, my dogs are my life everyting I do in my day to day existance revolves around my dogs! They don't call me the crazy dog lady for nothing. :wave:

I don't think anyone wants to argue with you, I certainly don't.

I am all for people doing what they think is the right thing for themselves and thier family and it sounds like your puppy is a very much loved member of the family.

That he is. I never thought you could fall head ove heels for a dog before.. But this little guy has stolen my heart....

It may not be "natural" but I know of HEAPs of dogs that are on their own and have no issues whatsoever..

So do I. Many of these have the "it's just a dog" variety of owner and that variety tends to be a bit sparse around here.

I also know that if most of their owners left the back door open, where the dog would choose to be. Not all, but most.

If you want your dog outside, that's your choice and that's how you should train him to be. But bear in mind that isolating him from you for approximately 8 out of each 24 hours may result in behaviours you'd rather he not indulge in. Barking would be the most annoying one.

However, I've got a funny feeling this pup may not end up outside long term. :wave:

Edited by poodlefan

You are just confusing him by changing the 'rules'. If you want him outside he should be sleeping outside from day one... If you let him sleep inside now, when the time comes for him to go outside you stand a good chance at ending up with a pup who screams and cries at the back door wanting to come in. We tried that with our youngest and he just didn't get it.. he just wanted to be inside with us where he'd been since he came home, tucked up in his crate. Needless to say, thats where he stays now :) . Or if you think he must be inside for now because he's too small, at least put him in the laundry so he doesn't get too confused.. then you won't be tempted to let him on the bed either :mad

My first dog Keira started as an inside dog, ie: sleeping in the non master bedroom bathroom and staying in there while we were at work during the day and as she got older and bigger was moved into a kennel outside which is where she started to live during the day also. We had no problems with her at all in the transition.

As long as you make sure your puppy is trained to sleep and be on its own (ie: no separation anxiety) the transition should be fine, especially if your OH is home most of the time. :)

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

I don't have a problem with dogs sleeping outside but I think it's a really bad idea to be letting him sleep on your bed, if you eventually want to move him outside!

I'm sure he will adapt in the long run but it will be more confusing for him than if you start how you intend him to live long term

As older puppies/dogs I personally let them sleep wherever they want once they have earned my trust and have demonstrated they are toilet trained and not going to destroy stuff overnight. One of my dogs would sometimes choose to be outside. My current puppy still chooses to sleep in my room.

I find your attitude somewhat confusing though. You are saying dogs belong outside, but only at night? Why let your dog potentially mess up or dirty your house during the day but then not at night?

I agree all dogs should be allowed to spend time outdoors to exercise and sniff, but this should ideally be during the day and with their owners.

Edited by aussielover

So we picked up our beautiful Jack Russell puppy last Thursday.

All is going well, he is learning very quickly, he can sit/stay/come/beg on command already!

Ive started lead training yesterday and its going really really well, he isnt pulling, he comes along nicely (mind you, he is highly motivated by his stomach)...

My one quesiton is, how do I get him to sleep on his own??

We have a fence setup next to my side of the bed, with his bed, toys, towells, puppy pads etc. But he whines and carries on and trys to jump over the fence (its about 2 foot highso he cant make it yet)..

AS soon as I pick him up he settles down to sleep next to me. As much as I love this I dont want it to become a habit. He is good at telling us when he wants to go to the toilet though, he will wake us up to go outside.

He is going to be an outside puppy, so will slowly move him from the bedroom, to the bathroom, then downstairs then outside. Not all at once though.

So, any help would be VERY appreciated!!!

If he's going to be an outside dog that is where he should be now....start how you mean to go on. Why can't the dog be an inside/outside dog?

AS soon as I pick him up he settles down to sleep next to me.

A wee mistake there.....don't pick the pup up when it's having a tantrum because then the dog learns that tantrums work.

Please don't let the dog on the bed and get used to a life of being close to it's owners and luxuries of sleeping on the bed if you're just going to put it outside to live, that's pretty mean and confusing.

It may not be "natural" but I know of HEAPs of dogs that are on their own and have no issues whatsoever..

That doesn't make it right. What exactly is the point of having a dog if it lives outside? Dogs are 'companion' animals.

Edited by sas

• 9 months later...

Isnt it funny how things change??

I was just reading through this old thread from when we first got our boy..

Wow.. Yeah he MUST be an outside dog... Pffft.. That went out the window..... Maui is wherever we are! He has his own bed next to ours where he sleeps every night...

Things didnt turn out how I thought they would, but you know what, I wouldnt change a thing! Maui thinks he is a human and just wants to be around us. (even on the bloomin toilet he follows)

I had some weird ideas when I first got him, I just think its so funny how a dog can change your perspective of everything... :)

Funny my boyfriend said he would never have a dog inside now zorro sleeps at his feet while he plays on his computer :rofl: and when we wake up in the morning he is the first to let zorro inside while telling him he is such a good boy lol!!! I thought I would never see that day

Honestly? The reason we want him outside as dogs belong outside.. (Yes, thats mine and hubbys opinions)...

Sorry, have to disagree. Dogs are pack animals and you and your husband are part of his pack. Each and every dog we have had the privelage to have live with us from a great dane down to mini schnauzers have shared our home with us, inside and out and that means sleeping also. You want him to be part of the family and that means all of the time. I'm all for letting dogs share the home for sleeping too.

You mentioned that you had him micro chipped. I thought it was illegal to sell a puppy without having this done.