Getting Puppy To Sleep Not On The Bed Help Please :)

kitkatswing

Guest donatella
You are just confusing him by changing the 'rules'. If you want him outside he should be sleeping outside from day one... If you let him sleep inside now, when the time comes for him to go outside you stand a good chance at ending up with a pup who screams and cries at the back door wanting to come in. We tried that with our youngest and he just didn't get it.. he just wanted to be inside with us where he'd been since he came home, tucked up in his crate. Needless to say, thats where he stays now :) . Or if you think he must be inside for now because he's too small, at least put him in the laundry so he doesn't get too confused.. then you won't be tempted to let him on the bed either :mad

My first dog Keira started as an inside dog, ie: sleeping in the non master bedroom bathroom and staying in there while we were at work during the day and as she got older and bigger was moved into a kennel outside which is where she started to live during the day also. We had no problems with her at all in the transition.

As long as you make sure your puppy is trained to sleep and be on its own (ie: no separation anxiety) the transition should be fine, especially if your OH is home most of the time. :)

THIS

My Pom started sleeping on my bed (I was happy for this being a small dog) and i'd leave my door partially open to the lounge for her to toilet/get water etc. She also has a bed in the lounge and nowadays she chooses to sleep in her own bed, I still leave my door partially open for her but she never sleeps on the bed, wants to sleep in her own bed and she's only 6 months old, still can't understand that, maybe she feels like a big kid sleeping in her own bed :laugh: :laugh:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This morning I woke up with a certain young dog under the doona, lying right along side me with his head on my shoulder/arm...

Yeah, he is not spoiled at all.....

(oh by the way, I got up and had shower, got dressed, came back into the room, he was in the same position but with my husband!!!Yep, definitly spoiled)...

What a sweet update.

I don't sleep well unless I have Buster cuddled up on my bed, and Quinn sleeps about half the time in her crate in my room and the other half in my bed cuddled under the blankets.