Clipping Double Coated Breeds

bernym

I want to attempt to groom/clip my Samoyeds. Neither of them appear to be blowing much of their coat at this stage.

I would initially like to clip their bellies back to the skin, tidy up the fur behind their legs and also shorten the fur near their backside.

My male Samoyed has a few health issues and sending him to a groomers for the day is no longer an option as it is just too uncomfortable for him. If I cannot brush him out I am considering clipping his coat shorter all over (not too short though, but perhaps half the length it is now) to hopefully reduce the amount of fur over summer. I understand that the outer coat acts as an insulator against the heat, but he had his whole outer coat removed by a vet earlier this year, and it doesn't appear to have grown back properly, so his coat is now mostly the thick dense undercoat.

I have read on here several topics on clippers and sizes of blades and am finding the whole idea of buying clippers a bit confusing. Can anyone recommend a good clipper and also suggest what size blades I would need to achieve this type of clipping? Also what price would I be expecting to pay? My vet nurse can clip/brush out under sedation for $150. I know it would be easier to just pay that, but it is probably a good idea to learn to do it myself. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that just regular Osters and ......ah geez Ive had a brain fart on the brand I use, sorry - If you want to clip it longer you will need to wash and dry the dog first as their coat is hard to clip at the best of times. I think you'd struggle to get anything longer than a #7 through although it depends on the coat. YOu could try using a Wahl Stainless Steel comb over a #30 blade to get the longer length.

You need a good set of clippers if you want to do it yourself. Oster or Whal 2 speed for instance. You will likely have to clip him very short to get throug the coat. A number 7 blade for instance (you will need a few of them as they get hot). A big and tiring job for you and the dog if you are inexperienced - do you have anyone to show you how, as their is a fair bit of technique involved. It may actually be less strain on the dog to get an experienced groomer to do it for you if that is what you want to do. You could arrange for someone to come to you (mobile groomer) or arrange with a groomer to stick around while he is being done or to call you when finished so that he doesnt have to be there all day (try Dog World in Hume).

What you are seeing with his coat though is the effect of clipping off a double coated dog. You may be able to salvage with some work, but often it does become a cycle of once you start clipping, you need to keep doing it. If you clip again, make sure that you brush out regularly even when it is short. A lot of people dont realise that with a double coated dog, clipping off does not mean that you can slack off on the brushing as regular brushing as the coat grows is necessary to prevent it wadding up - this is because the guard hairs have been cut short. Guard hairs naturally act to separate the shorter undercoat. When cut short, they cant do their job and instead the coat becomes a cotton wool mess.

If you don't want to clip again, take a look at the page on my website on grooming. It is specifically for Pyreneans, but you will be able to use the same techniques for a Samoyed. Basically, groom in frequent short sessions. Pick one area and work on it. You may want to use something like a Mars Coat King to thin out the unercoat too. thinning it out may help make it easier to manage. Regular brushing and thinning the undercoat will help the guard hairs grow out straighter again. If you want to keep the coat, clipping his belly from his front legs to between the back legs can be a good compromise. I have given a 'belly buzz' like this to older dogs before.

Edited by espinay2

If you no longer can take him down to the grooming salon. What about looking at a mobile groomer?

A set of Whal 2 speed Clippers will cost you about $200 or more depending on where you get it. You will need at least two blades to clip a Sammy. Depending on how dense the coat is, you may need more. You will also need clipper oil or Blade Ice to keep the blades cool and lubricated.

#7 blades range about $50 each

#10 Blades about $40

Again depending on how thick the coat is, you may only get one or two clips (more if you are lucky) out of a set of blades before they will need to be sharpened.

You have to be careful about "clipper burn" on the sensitive parts of his skin (under belly, groin in particular). Clipper burn can happen anywhere. If he has sensitive skin, then you can cause skin irritations if you do not know what you are doing and clip too short.

You also have to be careful you do not cut him.

If you have had to sedate the dog in the past, then I especially would not be attempting to clip your dog yourself.

If you are set on this path, then I would look at one of those grooming courses. Clipping a dog is more than just getting a set of clippers and away you go. There is technique to ensure a good job.

Also during summer. Try regular warm baths. The warm water water helps the coat to loosen and encourages it to blow. You do not need shampoo in every wash. A hydrobath is great as it stimulates the blood vessels under the skin and the hair follicles.

Edited by Mystiqview

If you don't own a force dryer you may be better off investing in one of these instead of clippers. You will remove far more coat with a good dryer than by any other means. Using a very wide toothed comb, like a Collie Comb with the dryer will loosen and remove the hair more easily.

A rake with blades or a Mars Coat King is also useful for stipping undercoat if used in layers, rather than over the top of the coat. If you really want to shorten the belly coat and pants, they can be scissored back to a more managable length, without the need for clippers. Just make sure you keep a comb between the dog and the scissors to keep it neat and avoid accidents.

espinay2 is spot on with her advice, I have a double coated breed and I shudder when a rescue comes in that more often than not has been clipped/shaved.

It ruins the coat and as espinay says, its then extremely difficult to keep on top of and the clipping off often has to be continued.

I have single speed Whal clippers and a TDQ (Take Down Quik) blade which is excellent for getting off the longer coats much more quickly than the ordinary blades. I have a large desexed chow boy here who has a massive coat and who also becomes quite stressed with any lengthy grooming, the TDQ blade does his belly, petticoats and underneath parts in no time and the rest of his grooming is done with a stripping comb, comb and strong pin brush in a series of sessions as espinay2 suggests.

The Mars coat king is also invaluable for stipping out once the coat is under control.

I am currently clipping my shepherds off and am using Oster horseclippers as they dont get as hot as the dog ones. I use a size 10 blade, and the dogs dont mind either, I also do my cat with the same size blade.

post-3138-1293415726_thumb.jpg

Not a fan of clipping double coated breeds either. One of the things in my life I that I regret is letting a client bully me into clipping a GSD.

Used to clip a Chow. OMG was that fun, not.

Personally I would be looking at getting horse clippers if I wanted to be clipping off larger double coated breeds. So have a look in HorseLand.

I've never thought much of the Mars Coat Kings but am totally in love with my Les Pooches brushes.

There is nothing wrong with professional dog clippers for the work you will be doing.

Just don't waste your money on cheap ones or finishing clippers. They will not last the distance.

It's the blades that get hot and either need to be changed during clipping or allowed to cool off.

But really.. I would still look at professional mobile grooming. Have a look at Aussie Pooch. Many of their operators do clipping services.

Not a fan of clipping double coated breeds either. One of the things in my life I that I regret is letting a client bully me into clipping a GSD.

Personally I would be looking at getting horse clippers if I wanted to be clipping off larger double coated breeds. So have a look in HorseLand.

I've never thought much of the Mars Coat Kings but am totally in love with my Les Pooches brushes.

wjhy did you regret the GSD being clipped apart from klooking funny . their coat grows back

wjhy did you regret the GSD being clipped apart from klooking funny . their coat grows back

I thought it was totally unnecessary and I found that the double coated breeds that I clipped ended up with weird coats.

I don't find any reason to clip off my GSD, my current girl has a big coat and she copes with QLD weather just fine, and I don't find her at all difficult to maintain. They look pretty hideous clipped IMO. :laugh: Unless there was a health reason I can't see the point.

I have had requests to clip Pugs, Labs, Fox T (smooths), ACDs, and I just don't get it I'm afraid.

I am currently clipping my shepherds off and am using Oster horseclippers as they dont get as hot as the dog ones. I use a size 10 blade, and the dogs dont mind either, I also do my cat with the same size blade.

Have to ask. Why on earth would you clip a GSD?