Clipping Double Coated Breeds

bernym

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oster A5 have an out dated design and not used by professional groomers in Australia.

I still use mine. Still going strong after 10+ years. I have Wahls as well.

I'm regretting that I parted with mine.

I have worked in the clipper repair industry on and off for the last six years and can honestly say that I cannot recall any professional groomer using Oster as their primary clipper.

No, but you don't know every groomer Oz wide. I can assure you there are plenty of us out there who still use our Osters. :eek:

There is also no reason why you would need to sharpen the blades after a couple of clips on a Sammy, clean coat and not forcing it through the coat and the blades should last a long time between sharpenings.

Becks, completely agree!

There are still people out there driving vintage cars but they dont use them as taxis

The flash point is only 9">10", using it around a clipper with sparks inside the clipper could cause a massive explosion.

the whole can won't explode in your hand. It would be no more dangerous then lighting a home made hair spray flame thrower (you know ... light the can of hair spray or deoderant) release the top of the can and the flame would stop. Flame extension is the length of flame if you spray the product through a flame and thats not surprising considering the pressure in the can. True flash point is the point where the chemical can form an ignitable vapour in air.

The product contains ethanol (flash point ~16'C) isobutane (about the same) which makes them in the flammable category. It also means rapid evaporation = cooling the blades. There's warnings on the cans, eg dont have a lit cigarette hanging out of your mouth when you spray it :eek:

:eek: That makes no sense at all.

Think about it. If it still does not make sense get someone to explain.

What is your problem? You've stated that no professional groomers use Osters and I have stated that I know plenty that do yet you still insist that they don't. I don't understand why you are having such difficulty comprehending it.

:eek: That makes no sense at all.

Think about it. If it still does not make sense get someone to explain.

What is your problem? You've stated that no professional groomers use Osters and I have stated that I know plenty that do yet you still insist that they don't. I don't understand why you are having such difficulty comprehending it.

I think you have a problem comprehending. Check what I stated! I did not state that no professional groomer used Osters. I stated that I cannot recall a professional groomer using Oster.

Check with the people in industry such as Ian Parsons from Feather Edge and ask him how many groomers use Oster. Also the Australian Dog Centre grooming school run by Mel and Nicky both Master groomers, they recomend and use Wahl KM. Natalie West from Doggy Doos grooming school uses and recommends Wahl KMs.I could fill the page with top groomers that use Wahl and would not touch an Oster. Because one or two on this forum use them it is misleading for people reading this thread that Osters are used by main stream groomers.

. Because one or two on this forum use them it is misleading for people reading this thread that Osters are used by main stream groomers.

Like I said I know plenty of other successful groomers who use them, not just 'one or two' on this forum. I know that they are not the number one clipper of choice and I am not stating that they are, but there are still professional groomers who use them. I am 'in the industry' and have no need to check what other groomers use or don't use. They can use what they like, it's as simple as that.

I think you have a problem comprehending. Check what I stated! I did not state that no professional groomer used Osters. I stated that I cannot recall a professional groomer using Oster.

Check with the people in industry such as Ian Parsons from Feather Edge and ask him how many groomers use Oster. Also the Australian Dog Centre grooming school run by Mel and Nicky both Master groomers, they recomend and use Wahl KM. Natalie West from Doggy Doos grooming school uses and recommends Wahl KMs.I could fill the page with top groomers that use Wahl and would not touch an Oster. Because one or two on this forum use them it is misleading for people reading this thread that Osters are used by main stream groomers.

I have my own grooming business and have always used Wahl but I am not happy with the last pair I purchased and I'm considering a change, especially as it seems after talking to other groomers that I am not the only one not happy with the product now.

Also the groomer and Vet I work with once a week are also unhappy with their recent purchase of wahl and have had nothing but trouble with them with several pairs having to be returned, one clipper was returned, fixed and sent back, half a dog was clipped before it broke down again. They are so fed up that they both have purchased Oster now. At least the Oster's have been reliable for them so far and we have been very busy.

There are many I know that said they wouldn't use Oster, I was one of them after trying Oster many years ago, but I'm guessing if the wahl's are becoming problematic then some of them may rethink Like I am.

I'm not sure as I haven't tried yet but I was told the new Osters seem better than the Oster's of years past, I think they are still heavier though

It's frustrating when you really like a product and then it seems to change and not for the better IMO

Cheers Lee

I am currently clipping my shepherds off and am using Oster horseclippers as they dont get as hot as the dog ones. I use a size 10 blade, and the dogs dont mind either, I also do my cat with the same size blade.

Have to ask. Why on earth would you clip a GSD?

because the heat was really getting to my oldies I did not clip the younger

I know a lot of groomers that still use the Osters. Yes they are 'main stream' whatever that is. I personally prefer Andis. Fits better in my hands. I have a couple of older Wahls though but only ever used them as backups. They were too high maintenance for regular use.

I think if Wahl(motor), and Laube(lever action) companies got together, and swapped ideas, they might come-up with a good clipper.

The Wahl motor does a fair job, but it needs to be maintained regularly, but I am not to sure about the lever action, but is seems to work ok, the cords are a problem, but it can be modified so it lasts longer before repair is required, the carbon brush's are very soft to make the motor nice, and quiet.

There are a few repairers working on these problems in AU.

The problem in the grooming industry is everyone is so busy, they forget to service their equipment, then when the clipper/equipment lets them down, and it is always at the busiest times, they blame the brand post haste.

The Laube clippers have a excellent simple lever action, but the motors are so expensive, and the clipper is a dog to work-on.

post-8666-1293574297_thumb.jpg

I know a lot of groomers that still use the Osters. Yes they are 'main stream' whatever that is. I personally prefer Andis. Fits better in my hands. I have a couple of older Wahls though but only ever used them as backups. They were too high maintenance for regular use.

The Andis AGC have the best design drive system and super quiet. They have a sealed motor that requires the least amount of maintenance of any clipper today. Downside is the lead is an issue and this is more problematic with some groomers due to the way they hold them and their clipping action. The other major disadvantage is they weight more than the Wahl.

I am currently clipping my shepherds off and am using Oster horseclippers as they dont get as hot as the dog ones. I use a size 10 blade, and the dogs dont mind either, I also do my cat with the same size blade.

Have to ask. Why on earth would you clip a GSD?

because the heat was really getting to my oldies I did not clip the younger

Coat insulates against the heat and protects from sunburn. I can't see any point in clipping off a coat that is not long anyway. I find the dogs that fair worst in hot weather are the realy short smooth coated ones. They feel it far more than my long coated BCs.

I know a few people that clip their very old BCs but they leave more coat than a GSD would have anyway. The clip is just to avoid having to put them through grooming when the coat goes woolly on an old desexed dog and once they start they have to continue each year. There really isn't much advantage heat wise for them at all.

And all the groomers, please go and fight about clipper brands in another thread. You have wandered a long way from the OPs original questions here about whether the dog should be clipped or groomed out.