Endurance Test 2011 Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope to get a couple of our girls through, with the help of my sister. The 3 of them have all been biked to stay fit for showing, so they're used to doing between 6-8km. When it cools down, we'll get back into it and see how they're going closer to the ETs

I was planning to do one with Ella next year but not sure we'll make it as I'm probably going to breed her early in the new year so there probably won't be enough time to get her fitness back up after a litter before the one up here in Qld.

For those not sure if they should do it, if your dog is relatively active and fairly fit then they will have no trouble doing it. I did one years ago with my old girl who was used to doing 8-10kms walking/running offlead each day, I only did 3 or 4 training sessions with her of about 10kms each time with one 20km ride and she passed with no worries. Ella could probably just about pass one now, we do rides of about 6-7kms at the moment and with the breaks between each of the legs she'd probably be ok but I want her to be a bit fitter and be capable of doing around 10kms legs before I'd do an E.T with her. So I'll have to see how she rebounds after the litter before I enter her.

Good luck to all of you doing your ET in 2011. I was considering it, but I just won't have the time I don't think. Between a new puppy, Bronte's CD and HSA, my (crazy) work, designing & building a house, finishing an Adv. Diploma and relatives from overseas, I don't want to over commit, whoops too late.

Maybe 2012 with Bronte?

Sydney they start real early and is cold then - 7 am

But it's a really boring course :laugh:

Sale's ET is around a lake and through beautiful parkland. Plus, it was less than 10 degrees for the entire ET. :thumbsup:

Can I ask where they do it in Sydney?

The Bill Spilstead Complex for Canine Affairs, Erskine Park, the date for 2011 maybe 7th August.

Does anyone know where they do the ET in South Australia? Akira won't be eligible to do it until 2012, but OH would like to do it with her and he wanted to know whether it was hilly or flat and what surfaces, etc. I know it's on at least three different surfaces and we can train on those, but I think he's worried about keeping the pace for two hours himself if it's hilly. :D

The Adelaide ET is held at the German Shepherd Dog Club at Pedigree Park, WestBeach Road, West Beach. The 2011 ET is going to be on Saturday 25th June.

Very flat with no hills. Most is on bitumen with some dirt and grass.

Edited by Kynan

When is the Canberra one? We're not eligible until next year boo. I'm assuming it starts later in the day because it is TOO cold earlier :D

Hi All,

I judges he ET in Canberra in August this year. It did start at 10.00 but I believe that they may start at 9.00 in 2011.

Anyway, I am happy to answer any questions about ET's if you need.

My website has a dedicated ET page which explains the whole test.

Regards and best wishes for 2011..

Michael

www.abbiestar.net

When is the Canberra one? We're not eligible until next year boo. I'm assuming it starts later in the day because it is TOO cold earlier :D

Hi All,

I judges he ET in Canberra in August this year. It did start at 10.00 but I believe that they may start at 9.00 in 2011.

Anyway, I am happy to answer any questions about ET's if you need.

My website has a dedicated ET page which explains the whole test.

Regards and best wishes for 2011..

Michael

www.abbiestar.net

Typo!

That should start... "I judged the...."

M

Does anyone know where they do the ET in South Australia? Akira won't be eligible to do it until 2012, but OH would like to do it with her and he wanted to know whether it was hilly or flat and what surfaces, etc. I know it's on at least three different surfaces and we can train on those, but I think he's worried about keeping the pace for two hours himself if it's hilly. :laugh:

The Adelaide ET is held at the German Shepherd Dog Club at Pedigree Park, WestBeach Road, West Beach. The 2011 ET is going to be on Saturday 25th June.

I believe that the E.T. needs to be on a couple of different surfaces

Does anyone know where they do the ET in South Australia? Akira won't be eligible to do it until 2012, but OH would like to do it with her and he wanted to know whether it was hilly or flat and what surfaces, etc. I know it's on at least three different surfaces and we can train on those, but I think he's worried about keeping the pace for two hours himself if it's hilly. :laugh:

I believe that the rules state that the E.T. is to be run on a couple of different surfaces

Edited by DURNSTEIN

Some useful links:

ET Rules

ET Training

14 Week Training Program (American so need to convert miles to kms)

I read the article on the training program with interest. It appears that the ET is not as widely competed in in the USA.

We have friends in Canada that we have discussed the ET with, and they are amazed that we can compete in this event. Apparently in Canada it is ILLEGAL to cycle with a dog on lead!

Michael

We have friends in Canada that we have discussed the ET with, and they are amazed that we can compete in this event. Apparently in Canada it is ILLEGAL to cycle with a dog on lead!

It is illegal here, too if you are on the roads. Just keep that in mind while you are training. I only ever train in parks.

If you are in Sydney, just on that note - Centennial Park in the city do not allow you to ride with your dog, so don't train there.

I had read somewhere that there was some dispute in Victoria about whether or not dogs could be on lead when you are on a bike. Apparently there is some law saying that a dog must not be tethered to a moving vehicle and a bike counts as a moving vehicle. I'm not sure about any of it as all this is 2nd or 3rd hand information but would be interested if anyone does know anything.

On another note. To get the ET title do you only have to do the test once? I'm new to competing in dog sports and so far am used to sports where you accumulate points to get titles. But my understanding of Endurance is that it is a once off thing. And if you do get the title can you continue to compete purely for fun? What would be the proportion of dogs in the trial that are successful and those that get eliminated at the test points etc? And those that do get eliminated what sort of cause is it usually (not adequate training? mishaps on the day?)?

I know basic sort of questions but I haven't been able to find this sort of information elsewhere and you guys seem to know lots and lots!!!