Endurance Test 2011 Thread

My hubby and I run with our dogs a lot. We're planning on doing an ET this year with both of them. My working kelpie already runs half marathons with me and I don't expect he'll have any trouble. My hubby's cattle dog is a candidate too, as he is very capable of a fast 15km run. Looking at either Nanango in QLD, or Grafton, if they're still on in 2011.

Should be fun!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On another note. To get the ET title do you only have to do the test once? I'm new to competing in dog sports and so far am used to sports where you accumulate points to get titles. But my understanding of Endurance is that it is a once off thing. And if you do get the title can you continue to compete purely for fun? What would be the proportion of dogs in the trial that are successful and those that get eliminated at the test points etc? And those that do get eliminated what sort of cause is it usually (not adequate training? mishaps on the day?)?

Yep, the ET is something that you only need to do once to be eligible for the title. You could do it again if you really wanted to! There's nothing stopping you from doing an ET once you have your title, so long as the dog is fit and healthy, meets the vet requirements and the age requirements.

At our ET all the dogs passed and from what I've heard from others it is usually only one or two dogs that don't get through - usually all pass. The reasons would be several from not passing the vetting throughout any point of the test, inadequate training so that the dog cannot keep up with the group or a dog becoming lame during the test. Or even someone's bike breaking and not having a replacement for it or it not being able to be repaired.

Edited by TerraNik

I am doing the ET at Sale with Dusty this year. I did it in 2009 with Benson and absolutely loved it. We've recently started training although not heavily into it just yet.

Isaak will be eligible for it next year (2012) and I've discovered he's a natural with the bike, just runs alongside it like he was born to it.

The Sale course is gorgeous, lots to see along the way, and the club who runs the ET are very welcoming and friendly to all competitors.

I had read somewhere that there was some dispute in Victoria about whether or not dogs could be on lead when you are on a bike. Apparently there is some law saying that a dog must not be tethered to a moving vehicle and a bike counts as a moving vehicle. I'm not sure about any of it as all this is 2nd or 3rd hand information but would be interested if anyone does know anything.

On another note. To get the ET title do you only have to do the test once? I'm new to competing in dog sports and so far am used to sports where you accumulate points to get titles. But my understanding of Endurance is that it is a once off thing. And if you do get the title can you continue to compete purely for fun? What would be the proportion of dogs in the trial that are successful and those that get eliminated at the test points etc? And those that do get eliminated what sort of cause is it usually (not adequate training? mishaps on the day?)?

I know basic sort of questions but I haven't been able to find this sort of information elsewhere and you guys seem to know lots and lots!!!

When I was training Benson, part of our training course was past the local police station. I'd often see police cars coming and going we we were riding past, but not once were we stopped or even glanced at.

If it's a law, the police here clearly don't know about it.

In the ET we competed in, only two dogs didn't pass and that's because they didn't finish. One was a borzoi who's owner pulled him out partway through as he wasn't fit enough and wasn't coping.

The other was a Border Collie who was being biked by someone who was not her owner. She stopped for a wee and wouldn't go again....just flatly refused to move, so she had to be withdrawn from the field.

Out of 19 starters, 17 dogs finished and all gained their ET title.

Yeah I forgot to take into account that Moo might either be in season or in whelp (depending on when we breed her). I guess that could mess up my plans lol.

I am thinking I'll either do Sydney or Canberra. The Vic one sounds lovely though!

I had read somewhere that there was some dispute in Victoria about whether or not dogs could be on lead when you are on a bike. Apparently there is some law saying that a dog must not be tethered to a moving vehicle and a bike counts as a moving vehicle. I'm not sure about any of it as all this is 2nd or 3rd hand information but would be interested if anyone does know anything.

I know basic sort of questions but I haven't been able to find this sort of information elsewhere and you guys seem to know lots and lots!!!

Generally, all competitors get through. It is the vetting procedure that may eliminate a competitor, or if the handler cannot continue, or if the handler uses excessive force or discipline with the dog, they could be disqualified. Many years ago, one entrant didn't even get to start as they did not have their bike helmet with them. Another time on the last lap, a handler's bike 'failed to proceed' and they had to run the last lap - in Blundstones!

The ET only has to be done once to pass and gain the title. If you wish to enter again, you can as long as the hosting club is happy to take your entry. If they have a cut off of 20 entrants and all are untitled, they are more likely to let the untitled entrants compete to gain the title than let a titled dog complete it just for fun. Best to check with the individual club.

Michael

wish we had ET's in NZ, could be fun and motivate me to get back on a bike again... lol! I'm not motivated enough to want to try and start something though, so until someone else does, there's no chance of an ET here!

Maybe you could ask the NZKC if the event could be held? If you showed them the ANKC rules and info they could see it was a viable dog sport. It is worth asking.

Michael

Okay, I just got back on the bike, I haven't been on the bike since I was last training for the ET and got taken out by a woman jogging with a three wheeled pram who was determined to come between my bike and my dog.

I don't think I have been so nervous in a long time, okay I have managed to ride the bike, without the dog, I think I need to get more practise on the bike before I start taking the Diva.

What I learnt today was, I NEED A GEL SEAT, I NEED bike pants with a gel seat. I need to lose weight. And the bike needs to be serviced, the bike will now visit the bike hospital as soon as it opens in the next week.

Oh, and I have to work out how the gears work again.

Now this bike is a road bike, will it be okay for the ET or do I need a Mountain Bike?

Okay, I just got back on the bike, I haven't been on the bike since I was last training for the ET and got taken out by a woman jogging with a three wheeled pram who was determined to come between my bike and my dog.

I don't think I have been so nervous in a long time, okay I have managed to ride the bike, without the dog, I think I need to get more practise on the bike before I start taking the Diva.

What I learnt today was, I NEED A GEL SEAT, I NEED bike pants with a gel seat. I need to lose weight. And the bike needs to be serviced, the bike will now visit the bike hospital as soon as it opens in the next week.

Now this bike is a road bike, will it be okay for the ET or do I need a Mountain Bike?

I would get a mountain bike. I wouldn't want to be riding a road bike on the grass/gravel/dirt surfaces.

I have two bikes. A carbon framed road bike which is for road only. ( I am a cycling nut as well! :shrug: )

My mountain bike is used only for ET's both competing and judging. Definitely only consider a mountain bike. A roadie will struggle over grass and gravel.

You need a GOOD seat, not necessarily a gel seat. I do a lot of K's on the roadie and recently bought a "Selle Italia" saddle. Best thing I did. If and when I change or upgrade my roadie, the saddle comes too! And definitely get some cycling knicks (or shorts).

You will also need to start the dog soon. Get him/her used to walking with you on lead whilst also wheeling the bike beside you. This will not make the bike so strange when you come to riding it with the dog.

Michael

I would get a mountain bike. I wouldn't want to be riding a road bike on the grass/gravel/dirt surfaces.

mountain bike

Does anyone know where they do the ET in South Australia? Akira won't be eligible to do it until 2012, but OH would like to do it with her and he wanted to know whether it was hilly or flat and what surfaces, etc. I know it's on at least three different surfaces and we can train on those, but I think he's worried about keeping the pace for two hours himself if it's hilly. :shrug:

From what I've heard, the course is quite boring at the GSD club :) But it wouldn't be very hilly at all. Sounds much nicer in Melbourne :laugh:

Does anyone know where they do the ET in South Australia? Akira won't be eligible to do it until 2012, but OH would like to do it with her and he wanted to know whether it was hilly or flat and what surfaces, etc. I know it's on at least three different surfaces and we can train on those, but I think he's worried about keeping the pace for two hours himself if it's hilly. :shrug:

From what I've heard, the course is quite boring at the GSD club :) But it wouldn't be very hilly at all. Sounds much nicer in Melbourne :laugh:

Thanks for that. :angel: OH and I are going to start cycling the o-bahn bike tracks when it's a little cooler to get us fit enough (not that OH really needs to, perhaps I should cycle by myself for a bit so I'm not too embarrassed :)) and we'll start getting Akira fitter when she's about 18 months. I think she'll love it, she'd run all day if we let her. And at least we've got a year and a half to train for it cos I think we'll need it! ;)

ok, so this may be a silly question as I know a horse would be a distraction for the dogs but can the handler ride a horse instead of a bike in the ET?

yes I know there will be some dogs not proofed to horses so that may be an issue...

the horse is an endurance horse so he can do 20km's easily....the same handler on a bike I am not so sure :shrug:

Oh l would love to do an ET with my girl, she usually does 5 - 6 Kms three times a week when the kids take their ponies out and she tags along although we have been keeping her home now that it's a little warmer. When is the Vic one held and does each state only hold one each year ?

Is an ET limited to certain breeds ?

ok, so this may be a silly question as I know a horse would be a distraction for the dogs but can the handler ride a horse instead of a bike in the ET?

yes I know there will be some dogs not proofed to horses so that may be an issue...

the horse is an endurance horse so he can do 20km's easily....the same handler on a bike I am not so sure :)

Unfortunately a horse is not allowed. Handlers can jog or cycle. Arrangements can be made for other non motorised vehicles if the handler suffers a disability.

The cycling is not as daunting as it may seem. It is a steady slow pace of 10-12kph wth three rest breaks for dog and handler. With a little training beforehand, it should be a breeze.

Michael

Oh l would love to do an ET with my girl, she usually does 5 - 6 Kms three times a week when the kids take their ponies out and she tags along although we have been keeping her home now that it's a little warmer. When is the Vic one held and does each state only hold one each year ?

Is an ET limited to certain breeds ?

Any breed can participate, even mixed breeds as long as they are registered with the state canine association. Most ET's are open to all breeds even if the host club is breed specific.

In Victoria, they are usually hosted by the German Shepherd Club, Dalmatian Club and Vizsla Club. The East Gippsland Obedience Club also holds one. They are usually held between June and August.

Canberra hosts one in July/August with the ACTCA and German Shepherd Club.

Michael