Endurance Test 2011 Thread

The cycling is not as daunting as it may seem. It is a steady slow pace of 10-12kph wth three rest breaks for dog and handler. With a little training beforehand, it should be a breeze

Yeah, it really is slow for the riders!! Most of the ride I was at a slow pedal. The ET is much slower than people think it is... It's good to keep that in mind when you're training and if you can get your hands on a speedometer for your bike, you'll be better able to keep to an appropriate pace.

As Abbiestar said, the course is mostly at about 10-12km/hr (my speedo said we were going 9-12km/hr for the majority of the test), but your dog should also be able to get up to higher speeds e.g. 15km/hr for when you need to catch up to your place in the line after toileting stops.

For anyone interested, this is a link to my report of the ET for Jedi and I last year - Clicky

Edited by TerraNik

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The cycling is not as daunting as it may seem. It is a steady slow pace of 10-12kph wth three rest breaks for dog and handler. With a little training beforehand, it should be a breeze

Yeah, it really is slow for the riders!! Most of the ride I was at a slow pedal. The ET is much slower than people think it is... It's good to keep that in mind when you're training and if you can get your hands on a speedometer for your bike, you'll be better able to keep to an appropriate pace.

As Abbiestar said, the course is mostly at about 10-12km/hr (my speedo said we were going 9-12km/hr for the majority of the test), but your dog should also be able to get up to higher speeds e.g. 15km/hr for when you need to catch up to your place in the line after toileting stops.

For anyone interested, this is a link to my report of the ET for Jedi and I last year - Clicky

Your report sums it up perfectly!

M

Morning guys.

I am planning to do ET this year with Jag. Fame will do ET next year, 2012

I have not decided which one as yet, but was leaning towards the Dally one. Perhaps I will look at the Sale one, is it held in the velodrome?

I have only done one before, but enjoyed it along with the training.

Edited by dyzney

Morning guys.

I have not decided which one as yet, but was leaning towards the Dally one. Perhaps I will look at the Sale one, is it held in the velodrome?

No, it's held around Lake Guthridge.

Morning guys.

No, it's held around Lake Guthridge.

Thanks TN. :)

That's really useful. Thanks!

Morning guys.

I guess it depends also on where you are located. If there is one close to you, great!

Vizsla Club hold theirs at KCC Park, GSDCV are at Altona Lake, Sale is around the lake, and the Dally Club use Springer Reserve in Keysborough.

I have competed at all venues and judged at two of them. Judged in Canberra at the showgrounds.

My favorite venue would be the ACTCA Canberra Showgrounds. It is an interesting course, but also safely contained and no risk of traffic.

If you visit this link, the whole procedure is set out for you. ET

Michael

I've added the dates of the ACT, NSW and Vic ET's to the OP... If anyone knows the other states and wants them added, just let me know.

Endurance Test Dates

NSW:

10 July 2011 - Grafton Dog Obedience Club (Grafton)

7 August 2011 - Dogs NSW (Erskine Park)

ACT:

31 July 2011 - Dogs ACT (Exhibition Park In Canberra - EPIC)

VIC:

11 June 2011 - Dalmatian Club (held in Keysborough in 2010. ?same for 2011)

25 June 2011 - GSD Club (Cherry Lake Reserve, Altona)

2 July 2011 - East Gippsland Dog Obedience Club (Lake Guthridge)

SA:

25 June 2011 - German Shepherd Dog Club of SA

Edited by TerraNik

Umm, did I say I was going to do the ET. I now know that I am a masochist, I got up this morning after my tiny little ride (most probably a kilometer at the most :mad ) and I hurt :love::love: :D

So today I have had to do some exercise, am now wondering if I should plan my funeral for after the ET ;)

The Diva goes alongside the bike beautifully for OH and eldest son, it is just my training that is going to be the interesting part. Also told OH that I have to buy a new Mountain Bike as my road bike won't do. Have also told him he is now back up rider, he hd a very pained facial expression when I told him.

So let the torture continue. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::o ;) ;) :cry::cry::cry:

Don't worry, it'll get better and less painful the more you ride!! I would invest in a nice pair of riding shorts/tights though. You can wear normal shorts over the top of the riding tights if you want (uinless you like the spandex look :laugh: ) or you can buy shorts with the tights built (mountain biking style shorts). Trust me - it'll save your butt!

Don't worry, it'll get better and less painful the more you ride!! I would invest in a nice pair of riding shorts/tights though. You can wear normal shorts over the top of the riding tights if you want (uinless you like the spandex look :laugh: ) or you can buy shorts with the tights built (mountain biking style shorts). Trust me - it'll save your butt!

I couldn't agree more! See your local bike shop for some advice. The shorts may cost a bit more, but stick to some of the better known brands (Pearl Izumi, Look, Gist, Santini) for a quality, more durable and better designed and constructed pair of shorts.

M

After having to pull out last year due to an injury to my darling dog; we'll be reattempting this year to do the ET in Adelaide.

I'll be riding with Millie, and Ross will be riding with Alice, who will be two years and a few months old. :)

Excited, nervous and not looking forward to the training all over again. :laugh:

So who's going in SA this time around?

I've been thinking of doing this with my sibe- but I've never biked with him and not sure I trust him yet... Any idea if I'd be allowed to use my dog scooter with him and do it with him in his sledding harness? Then it would be alot easier for me lol. I could make him "pull slightly" Instead of drag me the whole way like is expected of him for sledding..

So a tight pair of bike pants make you hurt less afterwards? :laugh:

I only have a cruddy Kmart bike that I think I have ridden twice in 5 years, don't think that will work, will it??

Yes! And you can wear other shorts or track pants on top if you don't like the "lycra lout look" : ))

Your bike should be fine. Just get a service on it from your bike shop.

Michael

I've been thinking of doing this with my sibe- but I've never biked with him and not sure I trust him yet... Any idea if I'd be allowed to use my dog scooter with him and do it with him in his sledding harness? Then it would be alot easier for me lol. I could make him "pull slightly" Instead of drag me the whole way like is expected of him for sledding..

Unfortunately the dog must work beside you and not pull. If the dog is pulling all the way, you could be disqualified.

Start training him to "hel" beside you on the bike. It really does not take long to condition the dog.

M

So a tight pair of bike pants make you hurt less afterwards? :o

Not just any lycra tights... You need to look for proper bike pants that have a padded saddle area in them. The padded part reaaaaaally helps your butt! :p

Edited by TerraNik

So a tight pair of bike pants make you hurt less afterwards? :o

Not just any lycra tights... You need to look for proper bike pants that have a padded saddle area in them. The padded part reaaaaaally helps your butt! :p

And now for the scary bit. These padded shorts are designed to wear without underwear!!!

It's true. The padded chamois is designed to wick moisture and sweat away from your body to prevent chafing.

Undies would not allow this to happen as the fabric will trap the moisture.

It takes a while to get used to this, but it is definitely better.

M

Just come back from buying the padded shorts!!!!!!!! :birthday::birthday::cheer::laugh::scold: :D :cry::cry:

In padded shorts I make an elephant look slim :o But the indignity of not wearing underwear :p :):):(:birthday: I think I might have to work up to.

Now trying to work out when I can sneak out of the house wearing the new padded shorts, this is a picture that should not be seen in public!!

PS OH has muttered they sell mountain bikes in Aldi for $50 don't they, so I am wondering if a really cheap Aldi mountain bike would do the job, because honestly I don't think I would ride it again for another 5 years until the next dog needs to do an ET.