Travelling On Spirit Of Tasmania With Dogs.

cherokee

The kennels are like the cages you see in a vet surgery, banks of cages - I think it was 3 levels, not sure - with the largest sizes at the bottom and smaller cages above. They were ok, I had no complaints about them, they were just basic cages with a paper mat and a little bowl of water.

I'm sure our dogs weren't terribly impressed (some moreso than others..... Enya, I'm looking at you...) and they were VERY happy to see us the next morning, but they seemed to travel fine.

Take your own bedding for your dogs to lie on, otherwise they will be on a piece of paper in a metal cage.

Also, when you collect your paperwork as you go through the checkin, there will be a yellow tag thingy that you hang from your rear vision mirror - this tells the people directing the traffic onto the boat that you have animals, and they will put you on a kennel deck. I wasn't told about this tag when I was given my paperwork and it was stuck in the middle of everything else, so I had no idea that I should have had this tag hanging in my windscreen, and ended up on a non-kennel deck and had to walk 5 dogs down stairways to get them into kennels. Not fun.

The only other problem we had was that people were taking the biggest cages regardless of dog sizes - small dogs in big beds, put into the big bottom kennels - which meant that I had to lift a 20kg Border Collie and a 35kg Rottweiler up into the second level of cages (the smallest of our Rottweilers - thank god we managed to secure 3 bottom kennels for the other 3 Rotts). The Border Collie wasn't that much of a drama, but getting a Rottweiler up into the second level and then DOWN from the second level the next morning, by myself (all 5 foot of me) wasn't a lot of fun, and was frankly bloody dangerous. So if you have large dogs, be aware that you might have problems getting a bottom level kennel and if you have smaller dogs, please be considerate and don't use up the bigger kennels at the bottom :(

We are travelling on the boat again in February, but only with 3 dogs this time - we will be using the kennel facilities again.

Just got back to Tasmania yesterday with my 2 frequent traveller BCs. I used to use the boat kennels, but now leave them in their crates in the car - they have water, and I leave the windows down a fair way (how far depends on the temperature/time of year).

Yes - make sure you hang your yellow tag on the mirror. One time they forgot to give them out in Melbourne, so I just told every staff member/stevedore that I had dogs.

I now usually pay for 1 kennel - means I can be sure of getting the yellow tag - oh and I keep one in the car. :(

Be aware that if you choose not to use the ship's kennels, you have to complete necessary paperwork - absolving TT Line of any responsibility, since you're not following their policy of only using their kennels - if you're using a trailer or ute, there's an extra form which your vet has to sign too.

Oh - and also be aware of Tasmanian regulations regarding hydatids worming.

Quarantine Tas requirements.

You will be checked at Devonport as you leave the wharf. I worm my dogs with Spectrum for their heartworm protection, and that has the required dose of praziqantel - I've never had any trouble when I show them the packet, and point out the ingredient - I write the worming date on the package.

I've been travelling across with various dogs for nearly 20 years - 3 different ships. The current Spirits are the best, and I've never seen a dog seriously distressed - although some do a lot of barking, and I don't think they get a lot of sleep, what with the lights and the noises. Mine are still sleeping off their holiday today.

Bianca travelled fine in the ship's cages. She had a big cage and her bedding and was fine. She's a greyhound so needed a big cage anyway. Had a toilet stop on either side of Bass Strait and no accidents in the cage.

Sister, who travels frequently as she has a holiday house in Tassie, leaves her two rotties in the car (they have a Hilux with a canopy). Special paperwork to fill out if you don't use the cages. She also takes the parrot, and leaves him in the car too (not with the rotties obviously - although they're terrified of the parrot, who is at the top of the pack).

You have to worm your dogs within two weeks of sailing, and have to have either a receipt and the worming box, or a certificate from the vet to say it was done. The pills have to have a certain ingredient in them, which I believe most hydatid worming preparations have.

ETA: Don't arrive too early as you'll have to wait to be loaded onto the right deck. We've always been on level 5 which is the last to load.

Edited by greytdog

thank you all for your comments / advice.

It is re-assuring to know all this stuff, being a first time traveller with my dog I was concerned, but seems Im more worried than she would be!!! lol

I did not know about the special worming requirements for entering tasmania, so I will make sure this is done also.

If she has her fav toy, water bowl and her bedding she should be right.

Now if anyone knows of petfriendly caravan parks etc..... :heart:

Thanks again and wishing you and your dogs a very happy new year! :D

Edited by cherokee

I remember (just) going to Tassie on the Empress of Australia. I have a photo with a Collie who was the only dog on the trip. He had a crate outside. Poor dog, it was a horrendous crossing, the worst they'd had for x number of years. The dog fared way better than me.

Yep have used it, and yes I would use it again.

I second bringing bedding. Oh and you wont be able to visit your dog during the trip.

The worming tablets you can use drontal or any wormer that has praziqantel and you will be fine, just bring packet and receipt and you will be fine.

I hope that you have a lovely trip! I just LOVED tassie! :heart:

Bianca travelled fine in the ship's cages. She had a big cage and her bedding and was fine. She's a greyhound so needed a big cage anyway. Had a toilet stop on either side of Bass Strait and no accidents in the cage.

Sister, who travels frequently as she has a holiday house in Tassie, leaves her two rotties in the car (they have a Hilux with a canopy). Special paperwork to fill out if you don't use the cages. She also takes the parrot, and leaves him in the car too (not with the rotties obviously - although they're terrified of the parrot, who is at the top of the pack).

You have to worm your dogs within two weeks of sailing, and have to have either a receipt and the worming box, or a certificate from the vet to say it was done. The pills have to have a certain ingredient in them, which I believe most hydatid worming preparations have.

ETA: Don't arrive too early as you'll have to wait to be loaded onto the right deck. We've always been on level 5 which is the last to load.

Greytdog

Can you please tell me if there is a preferred deck to load the car on if your dogs are inside?

I need to go to Tas soon and will leave 1 or 2 dogs in the car.

Thankyou

:)

Greytdog

Can you please tell me if there is a preferred deck to load the car on if your dogs are inside?

Thankyou

:)

They should be on Garage Deck 5, which is where the ship's kennels are (although there used to be somme on 3 as well. )Just for safety's sake, I find it's worth paying for 1 kennel, even though I do the paperwork for leaving them in the car - that way you know the dogs are on the system, and you'll get your yellow ticket to make sure you get parked on the right deck - that's the one with the best ventilation, and it's called first in the morning.

BTW, there's a lovely area to walk/run dogs in East Devonport - turn left instead of right to go to Hobart/Launceston, into Tarleton St and keep going to the end of that street. There's a huge off leash area, bounded by Bass Strat. I get the dogs to empty out there before we go and check in, and then as soon as we arrive. In Port Melbourne, we just walk along the promenade, although there is a dog beach (short in summer, the whole beach in winter.)

Oh - and be prepared for long waits in queues :)

Greytdog

Thankyou

:shrug:

Deck 5 is preferred as it is the last on, first off. Therefore, don't arrive too early or you'll be waiting a long time.

ETA: Beat me!

Edited by greytdog

Has anyone taken cats? We are moving to Tassie and will have three cats with us-I'm thinking they may be better off in the car in their crates. Or maybe the Spirit has a separate area for cats. When we travelled over to the mainland on one of the old boats I seem to remember cats being in the kennels alongside the dogs. My cats are used to dogs but, like most cats, aren't keen on strange dogs!

How long are the dogs left in the pens or cars for the crossing when you can't get to them?

That was something I was interested to know as well, Dancinbcs. Checking up via google, it tells me the voyage is 9-11 hours so I'd imagine you'd need to allow for at least 12 or 13 hours. You'd need to make sure your dog was well toileted before going abroad aboard.

Edited for an oopsy.

Edited by Erny

How long are the dogs left in the pens or cars for the crossing when you can't get to them?

That was something I was interested to know as well, Dancinbcs. Checking up via google, it tells me the voyage is 9-11 hours so I'd imagine you'd need to allow for at least 12 or 13 hours. You'd need to make sure your dog was well toileted before going abroad.

Because Tasmania is virtually a foreign country. :confused:

A few years ago I went on a extended drive through a few States with my Border Terrier and 2 Min. Pins. Went across to Magnetic Island on the ferry. This wasn't anywhere near as big and stable as the 'Spirits'. Dogs were left in the car and as it got pretty rough I went down to check them. Ever seen a 'green' Border Terrier? :confused: The Mins were fine but poor Ben was staggering when we got off. Fortunately it was calm on the way back.

Have a lovely time in Tassie and the dogs will be fine.