Travelling On Spirit Of Tasmania With Dogs.

cherokee

We found lots of B&B's in Tassie that were dog friendly. Caravan parks not so much...only if you have your own van. You can't take dogs into the national parks. Google dog friendly accommodation in Tasmania and you should come up with lots. Enjoy...Tassie's a wonderful place!

thank you all for your comments / advice.

It is re-assuring to know all this stuff, being a first time traveller with my dog I was concerned, but seems Im more worried than she would be!!! lol

I did not know about the special worming requirements for entering tasmania, so I will make sure this is done also.

If she has her fav toy, water bowl and her bedding she should be right.

Now if anyone knows of petfriendly caravan parks etc..... :laugh:

Thanks again and wishing you and your dogs a very happy new year! :)

How long are the dogs left in the pens or cars for the crossing when you can't get to them?

Are you thinking about the BC nationals next year? :o

No, not for a dog show, even if it is a National. :p I have never been to Tassie because I can't afford it, I don't really enjoy air travel and am even less likely to get on a boat. I was just curious and if I was contemplating it, would rather fly with dogs, than leave them that long unattended on the boat, though I enjoy air travel even less when I take a dog. I don't like the fact that you cannot check on them for such a long time when you are in some of the roughest seas in the world. Bass Strait is not likely to be calm waters. The dogs would probably be fine, but I would be a mess worrying about them.

If I ever do manage to get to Tassie I will fly in and it will be as a tourist to see all the beautiful state has to offer, not for a dog show.

It is re-assuring to know all this stuff, being a first time traveller with my dog I was concerned, but seems Im more worried than she would be!!! lol

I did not know about the special worming requirements for entering tasmania, so I will make sure this is done also.

Now if anyone knows of petfriendly caravan parks etc..... :o

Thanks again and wishing you and your dogs a very happy new year! :p

where abouts are you planning on staying in tas? most of the caravan parks are pet friendly, but many will not allow pets inside cabins (they are allowed to be outside the cabins though) are you bringing a camper or tent? if so, you can of course have them almost anywhere on your site with you. You can camp in any state forest reserve with dogs on lead. The facilities of these reserves are limited in comparison to the caravan parks though. If you are happy to share your destinations i can let you know what caravan parks are going to be the most pet friendly (we have a camper and travel around the state a fair bit, so know of many places to stay)

Now if anyone knows of petfriendly caravan parks etc..... :D

Thanks again and wishing you and your dogs a very happy new year! :(

where abouts are you planning on staying in tas? most of the caravan parks are pet friendly, but many will not allow pets inside cabins (they are allowed to be outside the cabins though) are you bringing a camper or tent? if so, you can of course have them almost anywhere on your site with you. You can camp in any state forest reserve with dogs on lead. The facilities of these reserves are limited in comparison to the caravan parks though. If you are happy to share your destinations i can let you know what caravan parks are going to be the most pet friendly (we have a camper and travel around the state a fair bit, so know of many places to stay)

We will be coming over in our motorhome, hubby is wanting to go to the Carrick Agfest and I of course am wanting to go to CADBURY :) in claremont but these are the only 2 definate destinations, we are hoping to be there for roughly 10 days and we just want to see as much of tassie as possible.

So any suggestions will be a big help. :(

Have to say that I've only ever had a few rough crossings in the twenty years I've been travelling across - mostly it's like a mill pond - no more bumpy than on a plane or bus or train. The new Spirits are way better than all the previous boats - they go fast, so they tend to skip over the waves rather than rolling and pitching.

My dogs travel at least twice a year - haven't had a problem with any of them over many years - touch wood. And they don't seem to mind it - though I have to say they are used to spending quite a lot of time in their crates in the car.

I used to worry about the length of time, not being able to check them etc. - but as I said, I've never seen dogs (or other animals) really upset. I have seen cats in the dog kennels, some in crates, some not. And I've seen chooks in cages on a trailer. All fine in the morning.

The dogs are normally in the kennels for about 10 - 12 hours - depending on the time of year and ship departure/arrrival time - shorter in summer when the ships are doing 2 trips a day.

Now if anyone knows of petfriendly caravan parks etc..... :D

Thanks again and wishing you and your dogs a very happy new year! :(

We will be coming over in our motorhome, hubby is wanting to go to the Carrick Agfest and I of course am wanting to go to CADBURY :) in claremont but these are the only 2 definate destinations, we are hoping to be there for roughly 10 days and we just want to see as much of tassie as possible.

So any suggestions will be a big help. :(

Moterhome....yay, that makes it easy with pets then :)

Richmond caravan park is pet friendly. That will give you a nice base for the South. Its about 15 -20 mins drive from Hobart, and is a nice little town to wander around too http://www.richmondcabins.com/index.html

from here its a pleasant drive to port arthur. PA is in national park, so pets can not come in but there is a good boarding kennel http://goldlakegoldens.com/index.asp?ID=11 which you may be able to use for a night if you wanted to cover some of the port arthur area........if you do I would highly reccomend this park only 5 mins drive from port arthur. http://www.portarthurhp.com.au/.

Longford caravan park would put you in quite a convenient spot for agfest and launceston http://www.longfordriversidecaravanpark.com/Default.aspx ive never stayed at this one because Launceston is my stomping ground, but have heard that it is good, and pet friendly.

10 days is not much to explore tassie, but if you were to work your way through the east coast between Hobart and Launceston you will enjoy some lovely sights. There are several caravan parks along the east coast in Bicheno, Swansea, Triabunna and Orford all offer accomodations. (throughout the east coast there are also many state forest reserves that you can pull up for a night too but these have limited to no ameneties.)

If you were able to extend your time, exploring through the north west coast is wonderful, but you need some time..............remembering although our land mass is quite small, it can take some time to get from one part of tassie to another because short of the main highways from Devonport - Lanuceston - Hobart, the roads are quite narrow and windy in comparison to mainland highways, it can slow you down a fair bit.

ETA would be more than happy to act as a bit of a tour guide around launnie if you wanted one, there are some lovely places to explore and walk, some pet friendly some not.

Edited by nattiej1976

10 days is not enough!!!! lol We did a driving holiday and started in Hobart and travelled the east coast and ended up at Three Sisters Beach after a lot of meandering along the way. Would have loved to see Straun and Cradle Mountain but time was against us. Sooo much to see!

Now if anyone knows of petfriendly caravan parks etc..... :)

Thanks again and wishing you and your dogs a very happy new year! :laugh:

We will be coming over in our motorhome, hubby is wanting to go to the Carrick Agfest and I of course am wanting to go to CADBURY :D in claremont but these are the only 2 definate destinations, we are hoping to be there for roughly 10 days and we just want to see as much of tassie as possible.

So any suggestions will be a big help. :D

10 days is not enough!!!! lol We did a driving holiday and started in Hobart and travelled the east coast and ended up at Three Sisters Beach after a lot of meandering along the way. Would have loved to see Straun and Cradle Mountain but time was against us. Sooo much to see!

Your very right bedazzled.......last trip we went on, we were camped up next to a couple from NSW. They were telling us that they had visited tas a few years before, and had allowed 2 weeks for the trip, then said to us that it was no where near enough, they had no idea how much there was to see, and had no idea how long it was going to take them to get from one destination to another, with all the stops (most towns you drive through have a little something worthwhile looking at) and the fact that many of the coastal roads are hilly and windey, they really slow you down when you are towing caravans or campers, and slow many mainlanders down who are not used to the twisty turny roads. :D

They had come back for another 6 weeks this last trip we had spoken to them, so they could actually see everything they thought they were going to get to the first time :cheer:

Port Arthur area alone, to explore everything, from the historic site, to the tessalated pavements, doo town, the devils kitchen and tasman arches along with the other countless walks in just that tiny vacinity really needs a good 4 or 5 days alone. Then Richmond for one day, Hobart for several days, a trip for a few days to bruny island, and a few more days to explore a little further south, such as the tahune air walk and hastings caves etc. A Week is needed to really enjoy the east coast between hobart and launceston, catching the penguins in Bicheno, and enjoying the secluded pure white sand beaches and beach walks and wildlfe parks. Wine Glass bay is another East Coast must in Tassie and that takes a day to complete the walk and enjoy the surrounds. Then launceston needs nearly another 4 or 5 days at least to enjoy the museums and near by wineries, nature walks etc. Cradle Mountain needs several days to fully explore the main aspects, North West, you could get lost in for some time. The North East Coast can ramble up to a week if you really wanted it to aswell.

There really is soooooo much to Tassie, and a hell of a lot to see.

If you had 4 weeks free, you would see a fair bit in that time, but there would not be a day of rest in that 4 weeks.

Even ourselves, we over the last year have taken 2 trips to southern part of the state, we spent 5 days in the port arthur area, then came back for another 8 days a few months later to finnish Port Arthur, then through hobart to dover to explore hastings caves and that area..........we even ran out of time that trip to do the tahune airwalk and bruny island, so we have to go back a 3rd time to see the rest.

Edited by nattiej1976

Your very right bedazzled.......last trip we went on, we were camped up next to a couple from NSW. They were telling us that they had visited tas a few years before, and had allowed 2 weeks for the trip, then said to us that it was no where near enough, they had no idea how much there was to see, and had no idea how long it was going to take them to get from one destination to another, with all the stops (most towns you drive through have a little something worthwhile looking at) and the fact that many of the coastal roads are hilly and windey, they really slow you down when you are towing caravans or campers, and slow many mainlanders down who are not used to the twisty turny roads. :rofl:

They had come back for another 6 weeks this last trip we had spoken to them, so they could actually see everything they thought they were going to get to the first time :o

Port Arthur area alone, to explore everything, from the historic site, to the tessalated pavements, doo town, the devils kitchen and tasman arches along with the other countless walks in just that tiny vacinity really needs a good 4 or 5 days alone. Then Richmond for one day, Hobart for several days, a trip for a few days to bruny island, and a few more days to explore a little further south, such as the tahune air walk and hastings caves etc. A Week is needed to really enjoy the east coast between hobart and launceston, catching the penguins in Bicheno, and enjoying the secluded pure white sand beaches and beach walks and wildlfe parks. Wine Glass bay is another East Coast must in Tassie and that takes a day to complete the walk and enjoy the surrounds. Then launceston needs nearly another 4 or 5 days at least to enjoy the museums and near by wineries, nature walks etc. Cradle Mountain needs several days to fully explore the main aspects, North West, you could get lost in for some time. The North East Coast can ramble up to a week if you really wanted it to aswell.

There really is soooooo much to Tassie, and a hell of a lot to see.

If you had 4 weeks free, you would see a fair bit in that time, but there would not be a day of rest in that 4 weeks.

Even ourselves, we over the last year have taken 2 trips to southern part of the state, we spent 5 days in the port arthur area, then came back for another 8 days a few months later to finnish Port Arthur, then through hobart to dover to explore hastings caves and that area..........we even ran out of time that trip to do the tahune airwalk and bruny island, so we have to go back a 3rd time to see the rest.

We would love to stay longer, but with work and all my other animals [horses, which I organise to have looked after daily whilst away] I just cannot be away too long.

But we sure intend on seeing as much as possible, anyway it gives me an excuse to come back over again to see what we miss this time round!! :)

I really am thankful for everyones advice and re-assurance.

Thanks for all the replies :laugh:

Ive done the booking and have got my girl a kennel on the ship, had a lovely lady ring from the Spirit of Tas as I must have forgotten to fill in something to do with the booking and she also re-assured me that the dogs tend to travel better than us owners.

nattiej1976, have you heard anything about 'andy's Bakery' at Westbury-its meant to be something like a truckstop for motorhomes??.

Thanks again :laugh:

Thanks for all the replies :)

Ive done the booking and have got my girl a kennel on the ship, had a lovely lady ring from the Spirit of Tas as I must have forgotten to fill in something to do with the booking and she also re-assured me that the dogs tend to travel better than us owners.

nattiej1976, have you heard anything about 'andy's Bakery' at Westbury-its meant to be something like a truckstop for motorhomes??.

Thanks again :)

:laugh: Here's hopiing you have a lovely smooth sailing, and a great trip.

Andy's is worth detouring to Westbury from the Bass Highway - very popular bakery, and not a big detour. :laugh:

Well I came on here about to ask same Question re dogs on spirit of Tasmania so am also reading this with great interest, My only fear is that my old girl who is around 17 and has arthritis and can't sit still for long periods of time and is on monthly injections for it also.

Was thinking it may be worth getting a mild sedative from vet to give her to relax her as I'm gonna stress something shocking wondering if she's ok or not and would never forgive myself if she was crying in pain the whole way and not being able to move or go down and see dogs for whole journey is gonna kill me! Might be worth putting her in a large kennel with her mat so she has bit more room to stretch out if she needs to.

Just editing as I remembered from previous post that you can leave dogs in cars now that might be better for her as she used to coming on holiday with me and sleeping on back seat of car hell I'd even be prepared to stay in car with her for the 11 hours also she's my baby!!

We aren't going on a holiday though we are relocating to Launceston to live with family.

Now I'm wondering if anyone has ever taken horses over on Tasmanian horse transport and how they traveled and came out other end as horse will also be relocating at some point down the track.

Edited by mutt lover

• 3 months later...

Well, we made it!!!!

Trip over to Tassie was not rough and Goldie seemed to travel quite well. [i was the stressed one, worrying about her]

The crates are quite roomy and I put her favorite blanket and toy with her. When we went to get her out of the crate this morning she was not at all anxious or upset.

Thanks again to all that posted. :hug:

If you chose to have the dog in the car, can you stay in the car with the dog?

Sorry - missed this one - no, you can't stay with the dog - not allowed down to the vehicle deck during the voyage for any reason. The security guys do patrol there.

Well, we made it!!!!

Trip over to Tassie was not rough and Goldie seemed to travel quite well. [i was the stressed one, worrying about her]

The crates are quite roomy and I put her favorite blanket and toy with her. When we went to get her out of the crate this morning she was not at all anxious or upset.

Thanks again to all that posted. :thumbsup:

Great, cherokee! My two have had another trip over just a few weeks ago - just for a long weekend. Again, no dramas, although it was rough going over, and would have been noisy as the ship banged down into waves (and the spray broke up past the Deck 7 portholes :rofl: = don't think the dogs slept very well :o

If you chose to have the dog in the car, can you stay in the car with the dog?

No.

Unless crated or in a dog trailer dogs go to the kennels provided. There is a fee, it used to be $22 a dog.

No persons are allowed below to the transit decks other than when arriving and departing.