Anal Glands Done At A Vet

Hi there,

I had a regular customer come in to me a couple of weeks ago. They had just had the dogs glads done by their vet right before coming to me.

When i went to clip the dog i noticed the whole bottom was covered in blood and puss! I rang the owner explaining what i'd seen and they said it was fine (the vet said it was ok) so i kept going, of course being very carefull around the area, thinking the dogs glands must have been a little infected due to all the blood. However, once i had washed the dog, there was still blood and puss coming out.

Upon closer inspection i saw there was a little hole where the glands are, and i immediately knew the dog had ruptured the gland (ive seen it before a few times). I called the owner back telling them they need to go back to the vet to get it checked out.

When they came to pick up the dog they explained it happened at the vet and the vet said it was fine and gave the dog a pain relief injection.

I find this extremely weird, and i cant imagine the pain the poor dog was in!

Has anyone else ever seen something like this, as in my 6 years of grooming i've NEVER seen ANYTHING like this before! Could i have done anything different? Was the vet doing the right thing? Seems to me they paniced when it happened and just told the owner it was fine.

luckypup:

When they came to pick up the dog they explained it happened at the vet and the vet said it was fine and gave the dog a pain relief injection.

Makes me wonder if the dog actually saw a vet at all...

The dog should be on ABs! Poor thing! Must be very painful for it, My dog was at the vet yesterday with an anal gland abscess and even with the pain relief shot she was in a fair bit of pain :thumbsup:

luckypup:

Makes me wonder if the dog actually saw a vet at all...

My thoughts too, as no vet would miss that and certainly wouldn't send the client home without AB's. A vet would instantly recognise a problem and I'm doubtfull they would even tough them, let alone express them.

Thank you! i did not think that this was right at all! apparently it happened AT the vet and the vet just gave him a pain relief injection. They were going back again 2 days later to get them redone??????

It all seems very dodgy on the vets behalf to me personally...the dog was VERY well behaved, you wouldnt even have known he was in pain at all!

Only pain sign was when he was leaving he was understandably licking the area alot, and i explained to the owner that this was because he was in pain. I cant really blame the owner as they were just doing what the vet had told them, but honestly if it was my dog and i had someone telling me it wasn't normal id be straight back there questioning them!

I was so worried when i saw this...think i rang the owner 3 or 4 times during the groom lol...i felt so sorry for the poor boy :thumbsup:

My male had an abscess on his bottom due to a blocked anal gland. He wasn't regularly scooting or anything but he did do one big scoot on my white bed cover, which left a pooey, bloody mark. I got him straight to the vet and he stayed in all day. He had to have it cut off and was on antibiotics. It doesn't sound like something a vet would let pass.

Thats why i was so worried! the owner said it burst AT THE VET WHEN SHE SQUEEZED THE GLAND! apparently the vet told them it was fine and just gave him the pain relief injection!?!?!

Also seemed suss when owner said he had to go back 2 days later to get the glands done again?!!? this dog has never had gland problems now all of a sudden he has to go back twice in 1 week????

im still concerned...its actually on my mind alot, and hes not even my dog! lol funny how u become so attached to dogs u groom...

You can get antibiotics in an injection as well, maybe the dog got both and the clients didnt relise. Perhaps it is a recheck of the glands not gland expression? It could be just a mix up with the clients not understanding what the vet has said and done.

You can get antibiotics in an injection as well, maybe the dog got both and the clients didnt relise. Perhaps it is a recheck of the glands not gland expression? It could be just a mix up with the clients not understanding what the vet has said and done.

That's what I thought.. perhaps the dog needs to go back for another injection of AB's ?

Hope it heals up ok :laugh:

I wonder if the client didn't listen to the vet properly? Maybe the abcess had come to a head and the vet released the goo from the abcess and gave the dog an pain/anti bio injection and asked them to go back in a couple of days for a check up.

One of mine had an abcess which burst, I just had her on antibios for a week, and in a few days it looked nicely healed up, it did ooze for several hours though.

What staff n toller said!

Happened to one of mine many years ago - she had a course of antibiotics - the other gland became infected a couple of days later and we had to do the same thing all over again.

I am from China and every time we wash dog we will clean their anal glands by squeeze out dirty and stinky liquid, we do by ourselves if we wash them, or by groomer if we take our dogs to the salon, a very simple job.

6 years ago I came to Australia and had my borders since then, I found dogs here are not treated like we normally do in my country.

I do it when I wash my borders, and one time a hydrobath man washed my borders and I remind him to do the anal glands, he felt very strange and said this must be done by vet.

Its a very easy job, just like regular brush them, why should us leave this to the vet? I dont think our four legs friend will feel comfortable about it.