Multi-sired Litters

gapvic

Hi all,

We are thinking of using two different sires (frozen semen) at the same time. I believe this is done a bit overseas (perhaps using fresh rather than frozen semen?) but not so much here.

Has anyone had any experience doing this? If so, did you end up getting pups by both sires, or just one?

Kind regards

Larissa

Edited by gapvic

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did this breeding this year. Only got one pup from one sire. They say one lot of semen will fight the other so it reduces numbers in your litter. Not keen to try it again in a hurry. This litter was done using frozen.

That's interesting Shelties N Dane. Did both sires have a good record using frozen?

One lot of semen had been used a few times and produced a few pups, the other one was first time use. Danes can be a bit tricky when it comes to AI's though.

Last year I had a good litter of six frozen semen puppies so at least that worked out well :thumbsup: It was single sire though

This is for a greyhound bitch - we seem to have very good success rates with frozen in greyhounds as it's all most people use now. Using multiple sires has just been allowed for greyhounds (for racing) so we're keen to give it a go. Would love to hear from others about their experiences too :-).

This is for a greyhound bitch - we seem to have very good success rates with frozen in greyhounds as it's all most people use now. Using multiple sires has just been allowed for greyhounds (for racing) so we're keen to give it a go. Would love to hear from others about their experiences too :-).

Be interested to hear how you go. Best of luck with it!!! :thumbsup:

Bitch is being progesterone tested on Friday :-). The semen has been purchased so we're all ready to go. I'm not so keen as the chances are the stud dog I've picked will only produce one (or worse, none!) for us and the stud dog OH has chosen will dominate the litter LOL!

I was going to do a frozen AI dual sire litter with my current pups but after talking with my repo vet decided against it because you really need both sires to have the same quality of semen post thaw. The stronger will dominate the litter. The sires I was going to use were 98% and 50%. Decided to do just the 98% and got 6 boys and 6 girls.

Good luck.

Thanks Schwarzbear - that's a great point. I've no idea what the post thaw motility of the semen is.

Did your vet mention the possibility of implanting the semen from one dog into one uterine horn, and the other sire in the other horn??

Thanks Schwarzbear - that's a great point. I've no idea what the post thaw motility of the semen is.

Did your vet mention the possibility of implanting the semen from one dog into one uterine horn, and the other sire in the other horn??

I have been told a number of breeders in the USA have done it that way, each horn and got pups from both sires with very high post thaw motility rates, but those that used low PTM semen got little or none. Given the semen used that I know of was from live donor dogs and not deceased dogs where you have no chance of getting more of it and trying again.

I personally would breed to each sire seperately to increase your chances as the post thaw motility will decide on which has the stronger sperm and better chance for conception and I would hate to neutralise one lot of semen by using both sires.

Even natural bred dual sired litters have mostly produced from one sire not two.

I will be interested to find out what you do decide to do. Good luck! :)

We're going to have a go and see what happens :-). Both stud fees are of a similar value, and both stud dogs are alive and well but neither do live cover - only frozen. This is pretty standard in the greyhound industry. Neither will offer a free return if we miss, but that is to be expected I guess.

We breed very few litters, and only breed for ourselves (not to sell) so hopefully this will give us the chance of using two different sires without having to put our bitch through two pregnancies and two whelpings.

Have a meeting with my vet on Friday to discuss further. It won't be the end of the world if we only end up with pups by one sire, but we certainly want to do all we can to increase our chances of getting pups by both dogs :-).

Yes that is what we were going to do. Like I said you need both donors to be of the same quality which is hard.

Good luck

I had a successful dual sire litter 2yrs ago. Both sires frozen semen, I can't give you percentages off the top of my head but one was brilliant post thaw and the other was just above average.

11 puppies in total - split was 6/4 of the 10 pups that were DNA tested.

Good luck, I hope you get puppies and even better if it's a genetic split :laugh:

Edited by tashnchief

Thanks Tashnchief, that's heartening to read.

Did your vet pre-mix the semen prior to implanting? Or did they put one lot into one horn and the other lot into the other horn?

I am interested to hear the answer to this :confused: