Dogs Killing Chickens

Tara and Sam

What can be done by council or police

if you come home to find your chickens dead

some in the enclosure and 1 dead outside the enclosure

they broke into the chicken enclosure

owner had taken his own dog for a walk and came back and found his chickens dead

he had two big dogs in his back yard last week and shooed them off

these 2 dogs appear to roam and looks like killed his chickens

as these dogs came onto his property and killed animals

would this needed to be reported to police or just the coumcil

he is angry , upset , horrified etc

and can probally also say thankfully his small dog was with him and not in back yard also

he had left the gates open and the dogs wandered into his yard and killed the chickens

we cant contact the council until tomorrow , but he isnt sure if needs to be reported to police also

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A horrendous and very unfortunate turn of events.

My dogs dealt with a wayward rooster once but you can be sure the rooster was aggressive.

he had left the gates open and the dogs wandered into his yard and killed the chickens

As I understand the situation with fences is that: It is an offense to allow your animals to wander onto some else's property.

So, you are not required by law to have a fence, but you are required to keep your animals off other people's property.

However, by leaving the gate open, and the care and welfare of the chickens being the responsibility of those leaving through the gate, there is some contributory action involved.

Of course the dogs are remiss as well, but the open gate will lessen the onus of responsibility on the owner/s on the dogs.

I had a dog kill some of my chickens, and it was only a council issue. Even though I saw the dog in the chook pen all they did was warn the owner. However, it was a warning with a "we'll take the dog if it is seen doing it again" - which it hasn't. Although i wouldn't hesitate to ring the police and report it to them, even if they can't do anything at least it is then on file just in case.

Horrible for you neighbour, it's very distressing to come back to find that sort of massacre.

He believes they are the same dogs who have been roaming and was interested in his chickens last week

agree he doens tknow for sure , but almost certain they same ones

who have been hanging around since he got his chickens only 3 weeks ago

As I understand the situation with fences is that: It is an offense to allow your animals to wander onto some else's property.

thats what I thought the ruling was also

Yes he just forgot to close the gate as he has a few issues going on and his mind was elsewhere when he took his dog for the walk

but thought the enclosure was strong enough to keep dogs out :thumbsup: and as a good handy man it would have been strong

sadly wasnt for these two big dogs

yes he is so upset and shocked over it , as things were starting to look up for him

then to find this when he got home

Thanks for replies

think let the police know as well then . at least as say it on record

The gate open has nothing to do with anything...the only way people as in council/shire will listen to you is if you have proof that they were the dogs that killed your chickens. Recently we had 4 sheep mauled by stray dogs but I couldnt prove it was them as didnt catch them in the act...but if you are home and catch them on your property eyeing off your chickens as a property owner you are entitled to shoot the dogs.

....but if you are home and catch them on your property eyeing off your chickens as a property owner you are entitled to shoot the dogs.

Only if it's a rural area, not I think if this is a suburban backyard chook pen situation - pretty sure the police would be more concerned by someone discharging a firearm in a built-up area than by the fate of the chickens.

Poor man, not a nice thing to find.

Edited by Diva

This is taken from a fact sheet published by Moreton Bay Regional Council and am sure that it would apply throughout Australia.

"Many dog owners don’t realise they are legally responsible for everything their pet does, especially when it is outside their property. If your dog menaces or attacks another animal or person, the owner of that dog may have their dog declared menacing or dangerous and be held liable for any damages or injuries if a civil action is taken."

I would doubt very much that anyone is entitled to shoot a dog. It would depend on the area in which you live and the size of your land. e.g. we had a wild dog attack on our sheep in Dec 2009. We have 40 acres (16ha) and we are NOT permitted to shoot. :thumbsup: In addition there are quite strict rules as to who is entitled to own a firearm.

Edited by Hesapandabear

When we had a farm we had problems from dogs all the time killing our chooks.

We use to trap them then shoot them in the morning.

As a land owner you are entitled to protect your livestock.

I think in a suburban environment you would best deal with the council.

You can trap the dogs on your property and have them removed by the ranger.

Here we can pick up cat traps from the local council and use them without any issues.

The gate open has nothing to do with anything...the only way people as in council/shire will listen to you is if you have proof that they were the dogs that killed your chickens. Recently we had 4 sheep mauled by stray dogs but I couldnt prove it was them as didnt catch them in the act...but if you are home and catch them on your property eyeing off your chickens as a property owner you are entitled to shoot the dogs.

shoot the dogs! :rofl::o:(

Maybe you should check the gun barrel with your eye to see if there are any bullets left.

Pulling the trigger, is usually a good indicator.

I've been on property for three years and the puppies have absconded at times.

Any neighbour who shoots another persons dog, particularly if they are known to be another neighbours pet, might as well move interstate.

We don't want them here.

Capital punishment for dogs. What about all the cats????

shoot the dogs! :laugh::rofl: :D

Maybe you should check the gun barrel with your eye to see if there are any bullets left.

Any neighbour who shoots another persons dog, particularly if they are known to be another neighbours pet, might as well move interstate.

We don't want them here.

Keep your dogs home and you wont have a problem.

Dogs do get shot for worrying, chasing or attacking stock.

Even neighbours pets cause problems.

We used to have a dog wire fence and we had a problem with a 4 neighborhood foxies ( they roamed) that used to come in our yard and attack our chooks. We didnt complain to council but we did call and inquire about the rules of fencing and dogs coming in. Our council told us that our fence only had to keep our dogs in, it did not need to keep other dogs out. We did work it out with the neighbors without any drama, we brought them a dozen eggs and explained the problem. We all ended up being good friends.

In country nsw if you catch the chook killer you do have rights.A friend had two JRT bitches escape.They got into a neighbours place and killed three chickens.The owner came home to dead chooks and one little bitch still in the chicken run and the other OUTSIDE the run looking like butter wouldn't melt in her mouth.The bitch found in the pen was declared a dangerous dog and subject to all rules that apply,the other bitch(clearly the smarter of the two and apparently the instigator of the debacle) got off scot free.The chickens turned out to be according to the owner very special chickens and it cost my friend $500 to replace the trio.I can't remember now if she was obliged to pay for damages or if she offered.

shoot the dogs! :rofl::cry::eek:

We don't want them here.

I wouldn't give it a second thought.

An animal that is not supposed to be on my land killing my animals would get a bullet.

Have you even seen the damage a domesticated dog will do to sheep, cattle ect.

They don't normally go for a kill it is a game to them.

Imagine waking up in the morning to find 15 sheep with their tendons ripped from the back legs and their jaws ripped from their faces it is not a pretty sight.

For a dog simply chasing and being a pain I would send it home. As soon as it attacked it would be bullet time and at this point it is not a family pet any longer it is a dangerous animal.

In country nsw if you catch the chook killer you do have rights.A friend had two JRT bitches escape.They got into a neighbours place and killed three chickens.The owner came home to dead chooks and one little bitch still in the chicken run and the other OUTSIDE the run looking like butter wouldn't melt in her mouth.The bitch found in the pen was declared a dangerous dog and subject to all rules that apply,the other bitch(clearly the smarter of the two and apparently the instigator of the debacle) got off scot free.The chickens turned out to be according to the owner very special chickens and it cost my friend $500 to replace the trio.I can't remember now if she was obliged to pay for damages or if she offered.

I know of a similar case in nsw, two dogs that had been killing poultry confiscated by a council ranger. Owner agreed to have them PTS at councils expense, he then got a large bill from the neighbor for the dead chooks and rooster. He paid up.

As mentioned in my earlier post being able to shoot a dog which has attacked another animal will depend on the area in which you live and the size of the block. We are NOT allowed to shoot on land under 41 acres, we have 40.

Have you seen what a wild dog does to sheep? Much worse than what you have described, siks3, and although I have photos I won't post them as are too graphic.

You can imagine our distress when we were advised we were not allowed to shoot. :laugh:

As mentioned in my earlier post being able to shoot a dog which has attacked another animal will depend on the area in which you live and the size of the block. We are NOT allowed to shoot on land under 41 acres, we have 40.

Have you seen what a wild dog does to sheep? Much worse than what you have described, siks3, and although I have photos I won't post them as are too graphic.

You can imagine our distress when we were advised we were not allowed to shoot. :laugh:

I know the aftermath is sickening I just gave a brief description.

Screw it I would shoot.

Or load a trap with some specially prepared meat.