Flies

Kia

For Zero I smother the tips of his ears in lanolin so that the flies can't actually get to the skin and then i just spray some repellant over the top. Works a treat. The lanolin kind of cements the hair on the tips of his ears together when it dries so it's not the nicest of looks but he came to me with flybitten ears and lanolin was the most natural thing I could think of to put a barrier between his skin and flies.

thanks Shell and Teebs

unfortunatly it isn't the tips being bitten but the fold along the ear and the aussies are a coated breed.

i should add they do run and are kenneled together so need something that isn't toxic.

Michelle

Horse products tend to be cost effective and are safe to use on dogs. A visit to your local rural supplies or saddlery is recommended.

Repel X is an insect repelling spray that can be applied to ears.

Septicide is an insect repelling, anti-bacterial cream that can be used to treat fly bites. :)

Edited by poodlefan

I use a pink spray from my local rural supplier I think it's called cetrigen it's the only thing that seems to work and the dogs look funny with pink ears but it works better than the creams I bought and doesn't make the hair sticky or anything. Just looks a bit different!

Treat the ears and reduce the flies. I've had the horse products recommended but don't have my dogs outside very much.

I have reduced the amount of flies in my yard by keeping it clean and also hanging up fly traps (available from Bunnings) in the areas where the dogs like to lie in the sun. After 2-3 weeks, the nos seem to have reduced.

We have them really badly this year, and i have tried, Lanaloin, vasaline, dettol cream,fly strips hanging, Aroguard, horse fly repellant.Nothing is working.

I hose down the patio every few days, but my dogs are covered, they drew blood on me too the other day!

Looks like the fly traps are the next move!

I have successfully been using Vet Basix antiseptic fly repellent cream for a couple of years now. My german shepherd gets attacked on her ears if I dont apply it daily. It soothes the ears as well as keeping the flies away.

I have made several of my own fly traps after hearing a few Dolers explain how they made theirs with empty plastic soft drink bottles. So far they are working well. I have a large yard and have made 3 so far and will make more once I drink more coke lol.

post-8582-1294202498.jpg Vetbasix Fly repellent

Edited by SarasMum

I have used Anusol or Retinol with great success - it is thick, stays on, keeps the flies away and contains both antiseptic and anaesthic and dogs don't like the taste so they don't lick it off.

I also use it on minor wounds - on the dogs that is.

Also when my vet stopped laughing he confirmed that it was a good idea.

I have just started using flygon by vetsense works well but had trouble with the spray nozzle blocking up so I used one from an empty windex ''after flushing with water'' it is oil based and does stain a bit but can be sprayed on a chux and wiped on dogs face as well,

the flies dont seem as bad around here this year, even in the bush, so walks have been quite pleasant

I am another for Vet Basix antiseptic fly repellent cream .... my guys had really bad fly strike last year and this was absolutely fantastic.

I had tried the Repel X on both dogs and my youngest had a reaction to it ... and neither dog liked having the cetrigen sprayed near their heads even though I find it great on their wounds on the rest of them.

This year I have started with the cream before they get bitten ... as well as using fly tape, automatic sprays around the veranda and fly traps around away from the house but it still hasn't stopped the sticky little buggers yet.

Edited by Tilly

A little Vasaline on the ears, makes them less interesting to the flies and will also assist in healing if already bitten. I also use Apple Cider Vinegar mixed with water in a spray bottle on my dogs to stop any biting insects including fleas as well as giving them some ACV internally which must help make them less tasty too as I never have any issues with flies or fleas with them.

If you have a lot of flies around it may also pay to set fly traps to reduce the numbers, unfortunately our weird weather will no doubt increase fly numbers.

thanks everyone for the replies.

I did find a product called Flyaway that I have dabbed on around the ears and face which appears to have worked today. This was after we cleaned those poor ears up and applied some antiseptic cream. Will look into getting some fly traps but with a poultry processing plant on one side and cattle in the paddock on the other it might take a while. Don't know why it is like this as we have been here 6 years and haven't seen the flies like this....

Michelle