Drank A Lot Of Saltwater

dee lee

We are on our annual beach holiday & have been taking Honey to the beach for a run and play every morning.

It's an offlead beach & she absolutely loves it!

Problem is that she likes to catch the waterspray & today she must have ingested way too much because she has chucked a fair amount of liquid up and has had some liquid poos. This happened to a lesser degree a couple of days ago & she was right as rain the next day.

She seems fine, just a touch flat & tired (she runs like a maniac at the beach so I'm sure she mostly tired) and is drinking water but is there something else I should be doing for her to help her tummy feel better?

(bearing in mind we are at a fairly remote beach)

Thanks for replying- I feel better now! ;)

I thought she may have learnt her lesson the first day, but noooo...

We however have now learnt to lock her outside while we go back for a swim- OH just spent the last hour cleaning the carpet- not sure which end that mess came from! :)

Edited by ✽deelee
  • Haha 1

Kaos is the same :) We went to an off leash beach over Christmas while staying with OH's relatives and every walk along the beach he ran through the water and then stuck his head under to drink! I wouldn't have thought it tasted good but he kept doing it. Luckily this time all I got were a couple of loose poos (and no messes - he was a good boy and did them on our walks). He did drink a lot more water when he got back than he normally does though and a lot of wees.

Edited by Kavik

• 8 years later...

My young Labrador  got salt water poisoning, swimming with a ball in his mouth. He was

very sick vomiting and squirting water out his backside.

A Labrador website in the USA suggested to  give the dog electrolytes. My Chemist said electrolytes

are the same for dogs as human.  I had to squirt it down his throat with a syringe, as he wouldn't drink it, 

anyway it worked,  he was back to normal a few hours

• 4 weeks later...