Is This A Dropped Toe?

My poor Pucky, as if he hasn't got enough to deal with, he's already got a deformed and stunted right front leg and now I think he's got a dropped toe on his good foot. It's only just happened in the last couple of days, I've noticed the outside front left toe seems to sit out flat and straight. I can tuck it back in but it doesn't stay like that. I remember my old girl Kiri eventually had very flat front feet, but they weren't always like that, it was some kind of injury. I would imagine if all Puckys toes went like this it would be painful to run because his feet wouldn't have any spring in them, the toes would just bend till they were flat and had no give.

I dont know if there is any treatment for this or even if this is what is called a dropped toe, but I suspect it is.

Here it is showing the recent change when it's flat.

5331593501_cc980db0fb_b.jpg

and here I've tucked it in how it is supposed to look

5331594991_a4a0caacc8_b.jpg

I wouldn't worry too much about it, plenty of greyhounds race with a dropped toe, not sure of the correct name either, gone blank! My first grey actually cut his foot and must have sliced a tendon or something cause one of his middle toes on his front foot suddenly stuck out a mile. It never stopped him doing what he wanted to do. Piper, my oldest boy, has shocking toes on both his back feet, all the outside toes are weird, he copes.

Due to the fact Rommi seems to love injuring her toes, from what I have seen and been told that is what it is, or a sprung toe.

Rommi likes to sprain and dislocate hers!! We haven't had that at this point in time though.

My understanding is there is not much you can do and they seem to cope just fine.

Poor Mr Puck, look after the rest of your toes little Zoomie man :laugh:

Sprung toes are a common injury in Greyhounds and Border Collies. They are aqtually a slight dislocation and need to be put back by the chiropracter, then taped to keep them in place for a week or two. Rest is also important in getting them to heal right.

Never heard of dropped/sprung toes, can you tell me more? My Dane has horrid feet, I've seen a number of other Danes with them too and just brushed them off as yucky feet.

toes.jpg

I think they just look like lax/slack toes, my understanding of a dropped toe is that it's not a dislocation, it's either tendons or ligaments, I always mix the two up, have torn so they no longer support the toe and it just sits flat. I've had whippets dislocate their toes before too and usually they stick out sideways and you can pop them back in. Often that is a recurring problem but it's not the same as a dropped toe.

There's a good photo here showing dropped toes.

http://www.whippetworld.net/board/viewtopi...974&start=0

Edited by Kirislin

Never heard of dropped/sprung toes, can you tell me more? My Dane has horrid feet, I've seen a number of other Danes with them too and just brushed them off as yucky feet.

That looks like a flatter foot but not a foot with sprung toes. It can be one or more toes and they get very flat. So far I have managed to avoid them but have had sprains and dislocations.

My first Borzoi sprung one toe as an adult, I was told it was a tendon injury. It never bothered him or stopped him running but it looked very obviously different to the rest of his toes.

Those Dane toes don't look 'sprung' to me, not like his did anyway.

My first Borzoi sprung one toe as an adult, I was told it was a tendon injury. It never bothered him or stopped him running but it looked very obviously different to the rest of his toes.

Those Dane toes don't look 'sprung' to me, not like his did anyway.

Prob just bad feet :laugh:

That was a great photo. Just what Sam's looked like. Sam also discolated a toe twice, once getting off the couch. First time I took him to the vet as I thought he broke it, 2nd time I pulled it back myself. None of the others have ever sprung or discolated a toe, Miller has broke one though.

• 8 years later...

hmm...doesnt look too much out of the ordinary, Billy got injured, was standing weird and couldnt put pressure on one of his toes, so it looked crooked but really wasnt......usually heals in a few weeks and limited "wild" activities...also a good nutrition helps build ligaments and muscles...boiled chicken rice soup yogurt, boiled cabbage carrots. =)...