Puppy Learning To Sleep Outside

Bracken

I finally picked up my little girl a week ago, and she's been an absolute dream! Very calm disposition and took very well to crate training.

I've had her sleeping by my bed for the first few nights with hardly a whimper, only making noise when she needs to toilet. (ok, brag over)

I want her to be partially an 'outside' dog, like my other Border (who I got as an older dog, so have no experience training puppies). She can come into the house during the day, but at night I need her to sleep outside. Last night was her first night out on her own.

She slept quietly for the first hour or so because she was really tiered but then woke up at 12:30 and barked and whined solidly until 2:30 or 3:00 (I felt so sorry for her :eek:) Either she stopped or I managed to fall asleep at that point, then I woke up to her barking again at 6:30! I waited until she stopped (7:00) then got her out for breakfast. By 8:00 she was drooping again because she hadn't had a whole lot of sleep either so I filled a kong with the rest of her breakfast and popped her back into her outside area. 20 minutes of barking later and she's sleeping like the baby she is... So cute when she's sleeping :confused:

So basically, as I've had no experience with this before I wanted to check that this all seemed normal. And ask if there is anything anyone else did to help their puppy transition to sleeping outside.

And I've also put in the obligatory photo's of the puppy :o

IMG_0241.jpgIMG_0181.jpgIMG_0154.jpgIMG_0148.jpg

She's beautiful :confused: Thanks for the puppy pics!

I guess it's sounding normal... a baby who has been with her pack- showered with attention.. cuddled ..then put out the back and locked away.

I have outside dogs- as well as inside ones so I do know it is/can be done - just believe it should be done from DAY ONE , so pup does not get this feeling of being 'cast out' , after sleeping amongst the humans...

I also believe that if someone breaks into your house- having a dog in the yard is not much help :eek:

A pup/young dog outside alone,and bored, will also find ways to amuse itself during the night. This may be barking/chasing possums/digging......

Hey I'm probly not much help, but we just got a puppy last week and on the first night she slept with us.. cuz we just felt to bad to leave her alone. And then since then she's slept in her own bed in our laundry. The first night it took her an hour of crying 8pm-9pm before she settled down for a sleep, and then I was woken again at 1.30 and she cried until 2.30 before settleing back down again, and then was crying again at 6.30 ish... the 2nd night she only cried for 1/2 an hour from 8.30pm-9pm, and woke breifly at 1.30 cried for maybe 15 mins and then went back to sleep... 3 rd night and ever since, cries for maybe 5 mins when we put her to bed, and then doesnt cry out until morning... about 5.30-6 ish when I get up to take her outside to wee... so what your puppy is doing is pretty normal. Main thing to remember is that if you go in while their crying.. their going to realise that crying brings u in. So the more you can ignore it the quicker they'll catch on that there is no point in crying, winging, barking etc. But remember to ramdomly go out there and give lots of praise when they've been quiet for a solid period of time ( quiet dog brings owner back and crying dog doesnt :eek:)

:confused: very very cute puppy by the way.. love the photo's

I finally picked up my little girl a week ago, and she's been an absolute dream! Very calm disposition and took very well to crate training.

I've had her sleeping by my bed for the first few nights with hardly a whimper, only making noise when she needs to toilet. (ok, brag over)

IMG_0241.jpg

Gorgeous photo.

There will be differing opinions

I believe in listening to the dog as much as possible.

Establishing the dogs routine is important, but not as important as bonding with the dog and that involves trust and confidence.

I'm not big on cold crating, and other separation anxiety methods like that; laundry's included.

Dogs are intelligent and there is plenty of time, when the time comes, to ask your "older" dog to remain outside when you say.

I kept my first girl with me so much she started making her own space. :confused:

Inside dog? Not a problem.

For now, enjoy your puppy.

Edited by pewithers

Has your Breeder been able to give you some insight.

The crying, barking, whining etc. is normal because you've taken the puppy away from it's family and put it by itself which it's not used to.

You have to ignore the barking etc. because if you give in even just once then you're done for, the dog will just get worse because they know that just one time it worked so it's bound to work another time.

Must your dogs be outside dogs or can the puppy start with being crated in your bedroom?

Thanks for all the responses!

Ziggy (the pup) has been crated in my bedroom to sleep for the last week, which both her breeder and another Border collie breeder I'm in contact with thought was perhaps a little to long. (I was just too much of a softie to put her out :laugh:) She has been good inside, and has learnt that the crate is her bedroom, she's probably more confidant with us because I had been visiting the litter regularly since they were 2 weeks old, so no first night dramas!

For her outside arrangements, I connected her crate to a smallish playpen so that she can get herself up and toilet on the grass, but not do midnight zoomies!

I guess that she's reacting normally then! It sounds like she may be barking a bit longer than some, but I guess that is because I got her used to being inside.

It sounds like Kate39 and I are going through it at the same time! Although you managed a more normal bed time for yours, Ziggy goes to bed at about 10:30-11:00!! (although she will stay in her crate until 8-9 in the morning, so I guess we're just on different schedules :laugh:

I have been ignoring the barking (or rather, not responding to it. It's very hard to ignore!) And I guess it's just a case of pushing through and being consistent. It's good to be able to get onto the forum though, when you've just had a 3.5 hr nights sleep it feels good to share! :eek:

My boys are outside dogs. When we got out youngest as a little puppy I had him sleeping inside in a crate for the initial couple of weeks. He would be outside time during the day (yard was divided in half with a dog on either side) but I brought him back inside to his crate at night - I was worried about toads and stuff so it was less stress for me.

When I was sure he was about to sleep through the night without having to be toileted I started putting him outside in his "puppy pen" on the back veranda at night. He settle into the pen much like he did with his crate and it also gave our older dog an oportunity to get used to having the puppy around.

We put Ollie outside on his first night and I was that much of a wreck worried he would escape (despite the fact that our yard is escape proof at the moment) that we put him in the laundry and he cried and cried and cried.

The next night we put him outside and we didn't hear a peep (not that I had a lot of sleep lol).

We have started putting him outside with his kong (sometimes a frozen one) when we head to bed and this seems to keep him occupied for a while.

If he can hear us inside but he will come and sit at the door as if to say "Let me in!"

Thanks Lja1302!

Ziggy seems to be doing better already, not much barking on the second night (or I slept through it, either way that seems an improvement to me :thumbsup:)

I'm not going to start counting my chickens yet though, I'm going to wait for 3 good nights in a row before I say that she's adjusted to being outside!

Hmm.. Have reached a hitch in my outdoor dog training in the form of a complaint from a neighbour.

So far, Ziggy has barked for 2 hours on the first night, 1 hour on the second and about 1 hour on the third (always starting at about 12:00 when she woke up and realised she was outside)

The neighbour's house is over 100 meters away! (maybe 150? not very good at judging distances :thumbsup:)

And annoyingly they were rather polite about it, so I can't feel rightiously annoyed at them :thumbsup:

Sigh, Ziggy is inside again until we can try to figure something out. It's just so hard to get a dog, or rather pup, that's used to being inside to sleep outside without it barking for a bit! People just don't like any noise that isn't a nice comforting car horn or train!

Whenever I bring a new puppy home, I always expect there will be crying intermittently over the following few weeks.

My puppy would be inside during the night but adjusting to spending some time alone during the day is of utmost importance to me over the following weeks. Even a puppy crying inside can be heard by neighbours.

One of the things I do prior to bringing the puppy home is going around to all the neighbours that I think may possibly hear the puppy during the day or night and give them a bottle of wine, an explanation about the new puppy and possible chance of crying and offer to purchase them ear plugs if they would like them. I keep it light, friendly and remain very appreciative of their understanding.

OK, it is too late now to "get in first", but food for thought for next time.

Best of luck.

... I was actually wondering about what your neighbours were thinking prior to you posting about the complaint.

Edited by dyzney

I think if you want a dog to sleep outside, it needs a kennel not a crate. A kennel is better insulated and provides a safe "den" for a dog. A crate would need to be covered and doesn't have insulation.

This is a baby puppy. Personally I think you'd be better off getting the pup used to being outside during the day and for meals etc than just putting her out there and expecting her to cope. Dogs are social animals. Socially isolate a pup only recently separated from its littermates and I'd expect a very stressed and noisy pup too!

I know! That's what's annoying. Being in the wrong sucks! :(

I'm going to talk to the breeder today, as I need to return some stuff. And I've got the first puppy school class tonight so I can speak to the instructor. We may need to move more slowly, have her sleep in my room until she can last through the night without needing to toilet then move her into the kitchen, then balcony, then try the yard again!

I just want to get her to the point where she can sleep independently by March, when I go back to uni.

Dyzney, your probably right, I should have done that. I did tell these neighbours that we would be getting a pup, and we took the pup around to a few of the neighbours to introduce them, but it's been a bit hard catching all the neighbour to tell them as a lot (I think 4 or 5?) are away on holiday and we're not sure when the'll be back. And I never did a formal letter, which on hindsight, I really should have.

I know! That's what's annoying. Being in the wrong sucks! :(

I'm going to talk to the breeder today, as I need to return some stuff. And I've got the first puppy school class tonight so I can speak to the instructor. We may need to move more slowly, have her sleep in my room until she can last through the night without needing to toilet then move her into the kitchen, then balcony, then try the yard again!

I just want to get her to the point where she can sleep independently by March, when I go back to uni.

Dyzney, your probably right, I should have done that. I did tell these neighbours that we would be getting a pup, and we took the pup around to a few of the neighbours to introduce them, but it's been a bit hard catching all the neighbour to tell them as a lot (I think 4 or 5?) are away on holiday and we're not sure when the'll be back. And I never did a formal letter, which on hindsight, I really should have.

If she'll sleep through the night in a crate in the kitchen, why does she need to sleep outside at all? Your neighbours will thank you for keeping her inside after dark, that's for sure.

A barking dog during the day is bad enough but at night it is torture. I would keep her with you until she is happy to be apart for short periods and then build it up. She is still a pup and you and your neighbours will be better for it if she settles in and gets into a night routine. Once she has more confidence being away from you and spending more time with your other dog, she should settle down (as long as you move her outside gradually).