Husky And Malamute Owners Here Please

hortfurball

A friend of mine heard that you should have a swimming pool/water source available during summer for malamutes and huskies to self regulate their body temp, but someone else told him that a wet coat will lock in the heat and 'poach' the dog, so NOT a good thing. Which is correct?

Thanks in advance. :laugh:

My husky soaks his feet in buckets of water to keep cool- I think keeping feet cool is the quickest way to cool down. Like any dog- if their whole body is wet and then they go out in the sun the water is just going to heat up- so It's best to cool them from underneath or their pads

We have those plastic shell pools in a shady spot filled with water.....our siberian's are always in and out of it getting their feet and bellies wet.....has not hurt their coats...we also have over head sprays on a timer switch for them...... to stand under if they want.

i have a clam pool for my girls and they love it but usually just walk through it and splash around a bit....

also have an air con as we hibernate on hot days like today in Vic and they have a cool mat to lie on if they want...

we got ours from here they sell coats as well.

We have those kids shell pools in all of our dogs yards during summer. Some will lay in it by most dip their feet in there

and thats about it.

I wouldn't be too worried about the effect on their coats we have never had any dramas

Edited by Ulfhednar

My boy loves the clam shell pools, he will go in and lay down to cool his belly, I think if they go right in and wet their whole coat you might have a problem but mine only wets his feet and belly, just don't make it too deep. These days he just stays inside in the air con though! :crossfingers:

I have those clam pools for mine. They usually stand in it to cool down. Sometimes they'll have a splash and one in particular; "Zuess the goose" as I call him :crossfingers: dips his whole head under. :laugh: My older girl and Whitey (who has IMT) stay inside most of the time on the tile floor under the air con.

Siberians are very adaptable. One of mine sun bakes.

So long as they have plenty of clean fresh water and shade they are fine.

I do have a shell pool as well, it seems to be a trait that they like to paw in buckets of water.

Mine also have a nice cool hole under a tree fern that they love.

• 4 weeks later...

My guys sunbake all day - go figure!

We have a shell pool that gets eaten more than it gets used for swimming in :laugh: So long as they have plenty of water and shade, my lot are happy. I just make sure that they are out of the sun, i.e. in their runs, during the hottest part of the day.

On a 40 + degree day mine is also the sort that can be found in the middle of the yard 'baking' while the Sams are tucked up inside under the air conditioner.

My Sibe wears her bikini at this time of year so would not feel the heat anymore than a breed with a short coat

We have a few clam pools but these are mainly used by the Sammy puppy for lots of splashing, water bowls are also good for this.

Our last property had an in ground pool and our Sibe and our older Sam used to love swimming whatever the weather.

Guest english.ivy

Not a Husky or a Sibe but my Belgain Shepherd [thick double coat] always seems to have wet legs during summer. She will stand in water after a walk or during play.

I have photos of her "bathing" which I took last week, her entire head goes in the water :)