Dog Hot In Crate

kiesha09

After being crate trained as puppies my dogs used to sleep on my bed. But about 6 months ago I decided they should sleep in their crates again and that is where they have remained all through winter. After some initial objections they have been great and I often find them in bed in their crates before I even go to bed.

THat was until last night! My girl Kiesha last night was banging and banging and banging on the crate door and I thought that she must have needed to go to the toilet so I let her out. But instead she just wanted to go and sleep on the tiles because they are obviously cooler. So I think she is actually getting hot in the crate. I went to put her back in the crate and she tried to avoid it at ALL costs, yet normally she is the one to go running into it. This morning I noticed my boy was panting when I let him out so I guess he's hot too.

What bedding do you use for your dogs in summer in their crates so they don't get hot? I want them to remain in their crates overnight but don't want them to be hot either.

I also have the fain on in my room but it doesn't directly hit them.

Not sure if this seems viable to you, but how about you buy puppy pen (if your dogs are well behaved enough to not attempt escape) and that way the dogs can lie on the cool tiles while still be confined?

(I like the Deals Direct puppy pens, 8 panels, good quality!)

Someone suggested to me that I get a wire crate and put a cool mat on top of the crate, with a towel over that (hanging over the edges). Apparently the air in the crate is nice and cool.

Mine hate sleeping on cool mats so that isn't an option.

What about the fans that attach to the crates directly? Or a floor standing fan with more adjustability?

If they aren't chewers perhaps and ice pack/frozen water bottle wrapped in a towel and placed at the back of the crate? :thumbsup:

I have the same problem.

One dog isn't in a crate so he just moves to the hallway and catches a breeze but until the puppy is older, he stays in his crate at night.

The crate is large so one end has a bed and the other has nothing. It's got a plastic tray and he just sleeps on that.

If the house is really hot, I will sleep with the aircon on so I figure they get the benefit of that as well.

If I were you, I would just put a folded cotton sheet in the botton of the crate and no other bedding. Maybe hang a damp sheet over the crate.

They have wire crates so it's as cool as a crate can be. The cooling mats could be a good idea.

There are some really good suggestions here so I shall have a think about them. They could be penned in the ensuite which has tiles and I could put a bed in there for options.

They don't 'need' to be crate exactly but I want them to be crated or confined because they either (a) get in my bed which I don't want for a number of reasons (seperation anxiety and possessiveness) and (b) they bark at my front door or any open window or go out the doggy door and bark outside (I can easily close it off so isn't really an issue).

My girls are not in a crate but I noticed they were panting on their dog beds inside so set up a pedestal fan for them and they are much more comfortable now. I think the pedestal fans have cooler air than the ceiling fans because hot air rises so all the ceiling fans do is circulate the hottest of the air.

On our dog beds we use fleece blankets in winter and sheets in the summer.

Edited by daisygirl

James started getting too hot in his (soft) crate about a month ago. I tried removing all blankets but there was no change. So I put him back in his puppy pen (Bunning's wire compost bins) so he could sleep on the concrete in the garage which he very much prefers. He'll be transitioned back out of the garage and eventually into his crate again as it gets colder.

Anyway you can secure an area on tiles/concrete for her?

Mine get turfed outside if it's a hot night. Actually the puppy gets turfed outside every night at the moment due to his penchant for eating my shoes when I'm asleep. He's not crated because I hate crates inside, he sleeps in the pergola.

Do you have a verandah or pergola where you could move the crates to on warmer nights?

I'm going to put them in the ensuite for the time being but I might buy a fan especially for them on the weekend :thumbsup: I think my boy would be fine to sleep with just a sheet on the floor of the crate but my girl (the one complaining about being hot) is a big fan of a soft surface when sleeping :thumbsup:

Gayle I would crate them outside but my girl barks like crazy at night so it just wouldn't work. In fact she's not even allowed outside as soon as its dark because she can't help herself from barking at the neighbours cat. Thats part of the reason she is crated because even if the window is open or I have just the screen door closed she'll hear noises to bark at.

After being crate trained as puppies my dogs used to sleep on my bed. But about 6 months ago I decided they should sleep in their crates again and that is where they have remained all through winter. After some initial objections they have been great and I often find them in bed in their crates before I even go to bed.

THat was until last night! My girl Kiesha last night was banging and banging and banging on the crate door and I thought that she must have needed to go to the toilet so I let her out. But instead she just wanted to go and sleep on the tiles because they are obviously cooler. So I think she is actually getting hot in the crate. I went to put her back in the crate and she tried to avoid it at ALL costs, yet normally she is the one to go running into it. This morning I noticed my boy was panting when I let him out so I guess he's hot too.

What bedding do you use for your dogs in summer in their crates so they don't get hot? I want them to remain in their crates overnight but don't want them to be hot either.

I also have the fain on in my room but it doesn't directly hit them.

I havent read the replies so sorry if I duplicate info. I have the same problem with my Havanese (even in winter, as I have ducted heating!) so they sleep on 'waterbeds' year round, unless it gets really cold. I have the Canine Cooler beds from Deals direct, and my dogs love them (http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/canine-cooler-pet-bed-1/)

Gail

Mine get turfed outside if it's a hot night. Actually the puppy gets turfed outside every night at the moment due to his penchant for eating my shoes when I'm asleep. He's not crated because I hate crates inside, he sleeps in the pergola.

Do you have a verandah or pergola where you could move the crates to on warmer nights?

Crated dog outside not good. Snake season & they are really on the move here at present.

Lots of cats & dogs in the vets with snake bite.

My dogs are crated at night and love it.

with the heat, I'm afraid I have the aircon on and I turn it off at bed time but their room is very cool by then.

I think coolmats are a great idea..

One of mine feels the heat badly and the other the cold. I have to cover the viz with a blankie when we have the aircon on :thumbsup::thumbsup:

snakes are a problem outside, there is no escape in a crate or run. We've had a few in our pool this summer.