Zedley The Strange One

Loraine

Laura Bird came out to visit with the manic boy today. Very interesting, and now it is a wait and see period. She may have to come back in about a month, but I am to keep a watch and et her know how the boy goes.

She does tapping to his body and did some bowen on him.

Edited by Loraine

She does tapping to his body and did some bowen on him.

:D Otherwise known as bodytalk :rofl: Not laughing at you, just love how you described it :laugh:

Laura is great :thumbsup: Both my horses and dogs see her semi-regularly and occasionally we have time for me to have a bowen treatment too :thumbsup: In fact last time she came out of 2 horses, 5 dogs and myself I was the one with the most muscle problems :thumbsup:

Hopefully it helps your boy :laugh:

So what is Zedly up to these days Loraine? Is he still getting wound up in the middle of the night?

The tapping works well on humans so I am interested to know how well it works on animals!

GR for 2 nights after I made the appt. with Laura he slept like a baby in the bedroom. Last night he was up to his nightly nonsense again :rofl: I guess I am going to be calling Laura back again next week. Maybe I need a course on Bodytalk - alright Mirawee, thank you for giving the word that refused to come into my head yesterday :o I did find it very interesting that she had conversations with Zedley that were actually quite true, and not what I had told her.

So what is Zedly up to these days Loraine? Is he still getting wound up in the middle of the night?

The tapping works well on humans so I am interested to know how well it works on animals!

GR for 2 nights after I made the appt. with Laura he slept like a baby in the bedroom. Last night he was up to his nightly nonsense again :) I guess I am going to be calling Laura back again next week. Maybe I need a course on Bodytalk - alright Mirawee, thank you for giving the word that refused to come into my head yesterday :) I did find it very interesting that she had conversations with Zedley that were actually quite true, and not what I had told her.

Fascinating! Keep us updated!

• 2 weeks later...

Spoke to Laura Bird. The dog's behaviour is not changed since her visit. He has taken to sleeping in the shower stall in the bathroom - but at least he is quiet. It is warmer in ther than in the bedroom at the moment (I don't get it). Laura feels that she can only help further with many (unknown quantity [could get really financially out of hand as I am on the pension]) of sessions with him and she didn't really seem hopeful of a good outcome.

I have decided to take him back to his vet and ask for something strong to knowck him out at night. Just for a few nights to see if I can train his brain into sleeping through the nights again. This night time nonsense is relatively new. He was been here for 5 years without being this daft. I am now hoping that this new plan might just re-set his mind. I will keep Laura in the loop and let her know how things go with him.

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the vet today. He is an absolute maniac at night and we are both stumped to find a reason. I had to bring him in at 4am as he was biting the metal gate whilst digging at the concrete underneath it. Vat has put him on some Promex, 10mg, per night for a week. Then she intends to put him back onto Endep and she if we can calm him down.

Kirislin none of us have considered epilepsy. He is perfectly normal during the day and evening, he enjoys his walks and his food (not food obssessed). He is in whatever room I am in, love to be with me and I love to have him with me, but not in the middle of the night :laugh: He has never shown any signs of fitting or seizures. I have just googled epilepsy and he does not appear to have any of those symptoms. When I am ready to go to bed, he gets all excited, falls in behind me and comes into the bedroom, jumps on his blanket and starts to doze. I read for 1/2 to 1 hour, put the book down and turn off the bedside light. This is when he wakes, jumps of the bed and starts crying and scratching at the doors or windows. He is a danger to himself.

Last night I put him in the conservatory, this morning it looked like a tornado had hit the place. The the cushions were off the chairs, three boxes for a garage sale were tipped over, he had pooped and stood in it. I am at a real loss of what to do with this dog. I have had dogs all of my life, used to breed them, train them and I have never had one with this type of problem. There are no possums near us and cats don't bother him, I feel as if I am banging my head against a bridk wall.

Is there such a thing as "night terrors"? Know Ive heard of them but can't remember if they affect dogs.

Yes there is. I read up on them and they did kind of fit Zedley. The usual reason for night terrors is an underlying illness. He has been checked up the do dah and we can find nothing physically wrong with him. He has a thyroid problem and has been on medication for a few years, so it is not that.

Is there such a thing as "night terrors"? Know Ive heard of them but can't remember if they affect dogs.

Yes there is. I read up on them and they did kind of fit Zedley. The usual reason for night terrors is an underlying illness. He has been checked up the do dah and we can find nothing physically wrong with him. He has a thyroid problem and has been on medication for a few years, so it is not that.

Have his thyroid levels been tested recently?

Have you tried leaving a light on for him? eg in the conservatory with the main light on?

I just wonder if something like night blindness may be affecting his confidence or stressing him out perhaps?

Edit - does he insist on being in the same room as you? Would it help if the light was left on in your bedroom? Even a dimmer light perhaps?

Edited by Golden Rules

Have his thyroid levels been tested recently?

Yes, it is checked regularly.

Have you tried leaving a light on for him? eg in the conservatory with the main light on?

I just wonder if something like night blindness may be affecting his confidence or stressing him out perhaps?

Edit - does he insist on being in the same room as you? Would it help if the light was left on in your bedroom? Even a dimmer light perhaps?

Left lights on. I cannot sleep with any light in the bedroom. It doesn't matter what room he is left in, even with a light - he just wants out of the rooms, out of the house and off the tiny bit of land we live on (the garden :laugh: ). It he can ever escape he runs off and I live near a 4 lane highway whihc he crossed on boxing day night :eek: , having found he could get through the new gate. (new gates on order and he is not allowed in the front garden until they come).

He cries in and out of the bedroom, he howls out the back and in the conservatory, but he does not want to come back into the house with me. ;)

I wouldn't discount the resident spirit either!!

Sleeping pills.

Wasn't Zedley an adult dog when you got him?

Am wondering if there is something in his past ..........

And also thinking of night blindness - but he would be like that pre-bedtime.

Other things are illness, a tumour of some sort .......................

Dunno.

There is something wrong with him. Neurological? Digestive? Something, no dog does that because he wants to. Why would you do that? Something hurting? Something in your brain telling you to do it.

I would give him something soothing prebedtime - if he was mine, it would be warm milk and manooka honey. I would also do a kind of Alexander technique thing to his head - two fingers, make circles on the top of his skull working down to his eyebrows and his cheeks. I am sure you could find out how to do it properly .... I used to do it to the horses, it really calmed them, and I used to do it to the rescue dogs who had anxiety issues. Costs nothing, probably wont work!! Give it a go.

Animal communicator?

Isn't that Amanda DeWarren (???)one - there is one which answers (or did answer) enquiries in a womens magazine? That's Life??

I am not sure that I altogether believe - but the people she does readings for seem to, unless they are all plants??

Here is a link

http://www.amandadewarren.com.au/

I wouldn't discount the resident spirit either!! I have had a psychic behaviourist out, as I thought 'spirit'?

Sleeping pills. Vet has given me a weeks worth of Promax, he slept all alst night, but we will see. After this she is putting him on low dose Endep at nights.

Wasn't Zedley an adult dog when you got him? Yes, he was 2 years old. I have had no probs for nearly 5 years, this has kicked up in the last 12 months or so.

Am wondering if there is something in his past .......... Pyschic person said this could be, but not sure whatever it is to make it start up now.

And also thinking of night blindness - but he would be like that pre-bedtime. Don't think that is the problem, as he has gone walkabout in the dark to his mate's house through a park and up a side street, not during these night time episodes.

Other things are illness, a tumour of some sort ........... I was considering this, and was going to ask his vet next week if we can do a brain scan.

Dunno. Neither do I ;)

There is something wrong with him. Neurological? Digestive? Something, no dog does that because he wants to. Why would you do that? Something hurting? Something in your brain telling you to do it. Jed it could be neurological I think, doubt it is is digestive. He has been physically checked by the vet (prostate, joints etc.,) Something in his brain telling him to do it - maybe as he seems to get so focused of escaping the roome, the house and the garden, only at bedtime

I would give him something soothing prebedtime - if he was mine, it would be warm milk and manooka honey. I would also do a kind of Alexander technique thing to his head - two fingers, make circles on the top of his skull working down to his eyebrows and his cheeks. I am sure you could find out how to do it properly .... I used to do it to the horses, it really calmed them, and I used to do it to the rescue dogs who had anxiety issues. Costs nothing, probably wont work!! Give it a go. I love your voice of experience Jed. I can try warm milk and honey tonight. I am quite good at giving dogs massages, and he loves that. I'll try before bedtime.

Animal communicator? He as been seen by Laura Bird - Laura is healer of animals and people and teacher about the world that exists between; the world we are all connected and all “One Spirit”.She is a qualified Bowen Therapist, treating Horses & Small Animals as a mobile service

Isn't that Amanda DeWarren (???)one - there is one which answers (or did answer) enquiries in a womens magazine? That's Life?? I have noted this website, but I think she does similar stuff to Laura Bird

I am not sure that I altogether believe - but the people she does readings for seem to, unless they are all plants??

Thank you all for your very kind suggestions, they are very much appreciated. I gave him a pill called Sleep Right (an over the counter human thing). He slept the first night, but not after that :D so I am just hoping that last night was not a one off fluke.

Loraine, Sleep Right is Doxilamine Succinate if I remember correctly, which is a muscle relaxant ..... how much did you give? I only ever recommend a 1/4 of a tablet for humans to start with even though the packet says to take one or two tablets! They are VERY strong tablets!