1 Or 2 Dogs?

shootin_star

Hi all,

We have a 1 year old female miniature schnauzer. We are thinking about getting a 2nd dog, most probably another miniature schnauzer as we just love the breed. The main reason for a 2nd dog is that we both work full time and she's at home by herself most of the day. She's got a large yard to roam around, has plenty of toys as well as access to a safe and covered area. Although she seems pretty happy by herself during the day, we thought it might be better if she has company. Will a dog get lonely or bored when left alone for 8 hours a day?

What's the opinion on whether having 2 dogs is better than 1? What are the pros and cons of having 2 dogs? Appreciate your opinion.

Thanks!

I love having two.

I put in the hard yards from day 1 and they are best friends, indoor dogs and the greatest company for eachother while we work.

Having two and not doing it properly can lead to jealousy, aggression, fighting, and god knows what else.

Have a chat to your breeder, and see if she can recommend anything going on your current dog's temperament.

Good luck which ever you decide.

=]

Will a dog get lonely or bored.

Depends on the dog.

A kelpie or labrador - very likely get bored.

SBT - definitely get lonely.

Mini Schauzers - all the ones I know are only dogs, and tend to play by themselves when they're out walking on the oval with the rest of us. So I would think those ones would not get lonely. Bored perhaps.

I second the idea of asking the breeder.

Pros - they might be good company for each other

Cons

- they might hate each other

- the first one will teach the second one all the bad habits it knows

- they may no longer be interested in pleasing people because they have each other (no need to look to humans for all the good things in life eg the opposite of NILIF).

- twice as much crap.

If the first one is reasonably well behaved, and you can take her with you to choose the next one - and the other stuff doesn't bother you, then it might work really well.

The best thing for my dog has been another dog.

In fact, the more the merrier.

Now with four dogs, they would be 'heartbroken if one of them went 'absent'.

They love each other to death, literally.

Costs are our major 'con'.

You might think management is a 'con' as well but the education has been invaluable.

Like I said. The best thing for a dog is another dog.

quote: "It is not good that they are alone."

I'm a big believer in "never get your dog a dog." Another dog may not be the friend and playmate you imagine for your first dog. A second dog may bring bad habits, and two dogs can be more than twice as destructive as one.

If you want a second dog, great! If you've got time, money, space and inclination for two, go for it. Work on the interpack dynamics if you need to, and hope that it's love at first sight between them. They can be good company for each other, and it can be a lot of fun.

Just make sure you are getting a second dog for the right reasons.

My old girl was adopted by me at 9YO, she had come from a multi dog household to loving on her own with me - she was very happy to have my undivided attention I think. The 18 months down the track I decided I wanted another dog (I reinforced that thought to me by saying Emma wanted company during the day!).

It was the BEST thing I've done!! There was a settling in period where Emma had to get used to sharing me. But now she and Kenzie are best of friends. Em has spent several days/nights in hospital recently and she has been more excited to see Kenzie first than me when we have picked her.

Having 2 dogs does require thinking and planning. Due to the age difference between my girls I have to factor in that most of the time they need to be exercised spearately (which I actually think is a good thing to do sometimes anyway regardless of age just in terms of giving them each their own special 1 on 1 time). All vet, food, grooming costs will double. If you do obedience or dog sport training will you do it with both, and if so the costs and time for that will increase.

But completely agree with what others have said, you need to be getting the dog for YOU not for the dog. Good luck with your decision making!!! :rofl:

I'm a big believer in "never get your dog a dog." Another dog may not be the friend and playmate you imagine for your first dog. A second dog may bring bad habits, and two dogs can be more than twice as destructive as one.

If you want a second dog, great! If you've got time, money, space and inclination for two, go for it. Work on the interpack dynamics if you need to, and hope that it's love at first sight between them. They can be good company for each other, and it can be a lot of fun.

Agree with this :love:

Agree with this :)

I absolutely agree with this as well.

I LOVE having more than one dog, but it is because I wanted more than one. In fact, my two don't even really play with each other except on the odd occasion. :laugh:

Thanks for all your comments, they were really helpful. I guess the general concensus is that we shouldn't get another dog just as a companion for our current dog. We wanted a companion for our mini as I think she sleeps most of the day and is rather hyperactive at night when we get home from work. Our thoughts are that if there are 2 of them, they might play more in the day and become better behaved.

The pack dynamics is another concern. She is generally a pretty well behaved dog, but she does up to mischief every now and then. We are still working on her pulling on the leash during walks. So training a new pup when our current dog is not 100% obedient might not be the best idea.

So I guess we are leaning towards not getting one at this moment. We will work on training our current dog and will consider another one when we are happy with her obedience level.

Thanks again!

So I guess we are leaning towards not getting one at this moment. We will work on training our current dog and will consider another one when we are happy with her obedience level.

I think that's a good move... You would be amazed at how much a well-trained dog can teach a puppy/new dog. It will make your life so much easier!

Case in point --

I taught (Jedi) to ring a bell to let me know he needed to go outside.

Second dog comes along (Ahsoka - 8 weeks old). At 10 weeks of age she just started ringing the bell with absolutely no instruction from any human!

Every dog who has stayed here longer than a week has learned to ring that bell... Again, with no direction from me!

I think you've made the right decision. Wait another year & see how you feel. I love having 2 dogs & the 2 times another pup has been introduced into the family, resident dog has been coincidentally 7.5 yrs old. I don't suggest you wait that long, but even so the older dog has got used to having a pup around after a week or so.

As to your dog sleeping through the day & active when you get home, this is just how dogs are when left at home all day. They tend to be active morning & evening & sleepy during the day if nothing better is on offer.