Shih Tzu

Henrietta

Hi all,

The Shih Tzu thread in Breeds101 is not very active, so I decided to ask some questions here.

I have heard they are happy little dogs. They are described on the Dogs Online breed page as friendly, independent, intelligent, active and alert. Would that describe your Shih Tzu or Shih Tzu you know? Are they known to be barkers?

Do they have DA tendencies?

Would they enjoy an moderately active life with daily walks and training (agility, obedience etc)?

How long do you spend grooming - for pet, not show?

Any health problems of concern, both common and uncommon?

Photos would be lovely too lol.

Thanks!

Great dogs! They can be yappy, most of mine have been. My current one starts and I swear she forgets she's yapping as she would keep going til I told her to stop. High maintenance on the grooming side, plus keeping their eyes and face clean. I feed mainly dry food and chicken necks so as to avoid mushy wet food through the beard.

They are happy little dogs who love toys and playing. Fab with kids who treat them well but will snap if threatened or someone is too rough. My current girl Gertrude is full of herself and 'owns' the couch. I've found them prone to jealousy with other pets but if you are firm and set the boundaries they are great little dogs. They can be ruined if spoilt and allowed the run of the place. Mine is not spoilt (much :thumbsup: ) and gets her nose out of joint if another pet wants to share the couch or my bed. She is also an expert sulker!

They can be hard to toilet train but GErtrude is great on that front unless it is raining - God forbid that she should get her fluffy little paws wet :rofl:

I love their zest for life. They love zoomies too. Mine sleeps all day (10yrs) but gets her 5 minutes zoomies at 5pm each day and she's had enough.

Always up for a game and a cuddle - I think they're terrific little dogs! Gertie is good with cats, chooks, goats, sheep etc but hates the horse. :D She also has little dog complex and will carry on at other big dogs despite always living with one.

I highly recommend going through a reputable breeder. They can have skin issues (mine does) and you will need good strong legs for agility.

None of mine have been overly obedient. They live to please themselves and will only do what their slaves want them to do if it suits them. I swear mine gives me the finger when I ask her to do something.

Excuse her scruffiness, in the middle of moving/renovating. She always seems to have her nose in the air which I love:

IMG_5808.jpg

Great dogs! They can be yappy, most of mine have been. My current one starts and I swear she forgets she's yapping as she would keep going til I told her to stop. High maintenance on the grooming side, plus keeping their eyes and face clean. I feed mainly dry food and chicken necks so as to avoid mushy wet food through the beard.

They are happy little dogs who love toys and playing. Fab with kids who treat them well but will snap if threatened or someone is too rough. My current girl Gertrude is full of herself and 'owns' the couch. I've found them prone to jealousy with other pets but if you are firm and set the boundaries they are great little dogs. They can be ruined if spoilt and allowed the run of the place. Mine is not spoilt (much :thumbsup: ) and gets her nose out of joint if another pet wants to share the couch or my bed. She is also an expert sulker!

They can be hard to toilet train but GErtrude is great on that front unless it is raining - God forbid that she should get her fluffy little paws wet :rofl:

I love their zest for life. They love zoomies too. Mine sleeps all day (10yrs) but gets her 5 minutes zoomies at 5pm each day and she's had enough.

Always up for a game and a cuddle - I think they're terrific little dogs! Gertie is good with cats, chooks, goats, sheep etc but hates the horse. :thumbsup: She also has little dog complex and will carry on at other big dogs despite always living with one.

I highly recommend going through a reputable breeder. They can have skin issues (mine does) and you will need good strong legs for agility.

None of mine have been overly obedient. They live to please themselves and will only do what their slaves want them to do if it suits them. I swear mine gives me the finger when I ask her to do something.

:thumbsup: Oh dear. So many things remind me of my current girl (Chi x). It goes without saying that I adore her. The toilet thing is my fault because from day one she would pee on towels that were on the ground which we put in the doorways to clean our feet when it rains. To this day, I still put down the towels and she still pees on them. I'm just careful to replace them before the next person comes along.

:D Clyde, very informative post. Gertie is adorable!

I guess the big thing for me is aggression issues, because of my experience with my girl. She loves training (when she chooses of course) even though she has a dolt of an owner. She keeps me on my toes for sure. I'd always go for a reputable breeder based on my experience with my girl. If I was to ever rescue, it would be an adult dog who has been fostered for a while, so I could be sure of temperament etc.

I'm pretty sure that I have chosen my next breed already, but I love the small dogs and am curious about some of the different breeds. Already on my list for the future (perhaps) are Havanese, Tibetan Terriers (not so small), poodles.

My sister in law has a 7 month old male and he is apparently the most stupid dog she has ever owned. :)

He apparently is a terrible learner, nothing and I mean NOTHING sinks in and he STILL pees on the floor inside, she has had him since an 8 week old puppy and yes, he is pedigree.

Now generally I wouldn't believe someone saying the dog is stupid, I would usually blame it on lack of training or not asserting themself as pack leader however, this girl also owns one of the most beautifully well behaved and trained Rottweilers I have ever met.

I'm going to give her benifit of the doubt on this one!

Instead of Breeds101 try the breed Subforums. Much better with lots of owners chatting.

My neighbours have a rescue Shih Tzu and it is one of the nicest Shih tzu dogs I have seen - personality wise and looks.

We have a few Shih Tzu's (and crosses of) at the rescue I foster/volunteer for - not met a nasty one yet. One desexed boy we have at the moment is the most divine creature... he is such a sweetheart. Came in to us after being surrendered to the pound as part of a relationship breakup. He was terribly matted, but sat patiently while his fur was dealt with - and that took hours! He lives for cuddles, and will make any future family very happy methinks...

T.

I groom many Shih Tzu and Shih Tzu crosses, I don't recall a nasty one, they are generally a good natured sturdy little dog.

They are as a breed by no means stupid or difficult to train.

If you are prepared to manage the coat, they are a great little dog.

I see many crosses each week and beg if you are going to get one make sure you get a pedigree dog from a reputable breeder. The twisted and deformed front ends and mouths that I;ve seen on just about all of the crosses make me want to cry.

For some of them, even the simple task of stretching out a front leg to run the clippers down is painfull.

Clyde's Gertie is an alright dog LOL

I really don't like fluffies but she does zoomies.

You're right about the mouths and front ends RSG... our little trooper has a shockingly shaped mouth, but he is quite capable of chowing down on a chicken wing which is keeping his teeth in great nick. Thankfully, his general structure is quite sound - and he loves playing zoomies too... *grin*

After all the matted fur came off, he is actually a stunning little man - with those huge brown eyes that just stare into your soul and make you melt...

Sheesh - anyone would think I'd been "converted" to being a "little dog person"... aarrgghh!

T.

Sheesh - anyone would think I'd been "converted" to being a "little dog person"... aarrgghh!

T.

:coffee: Shih Tzu's do that! I didn't ever think I'd be a little dog fan until I started doing rescue and took on my first one - it was all over from there.