Kelpie Coat - Summer/winter

Hoover's mostly red and tan but up on his neck, although the fur on top was red, underneath, it was white. The effect was a bit stripy like you can see in this photo here:

fur00.jpg

If you actually smoothed the top fur back, you could see that it was all white underneath. He and Elbie have been moulting like crazy - thank goodness for the Dyson. Elbie's fur is black and white and his appearance is unchanged, but while shedding his coat, Hoover seems to have lost some of the red around his neck and kept the white. Below - that's not baldness you see. It's just a blurry photo - the fur is mostly white!

fur01-1.jpg

fur02-1.jpg

fur03-1.jpg

Does anyone know if the red will grow back? I'm not fussed, but the poor puppy looks a bit funny right now with the white fur on his neck so exposed. :)

Edited by koalathebear

Skye068.jpg

This photo is about a month old now and it's progressed a little more with the light tan hairs through the flank.

On the other hand the coat is also much shinier and healthier now that she has been with us a bit longer as well.

To me it looks like he is blowing his coat and more of the light undercoat is showing through. You will probably find in winter when he gets a thicker coat you won't see it and in summer you will see it. If you look through his pants on his back legs he will probably have light undercoat there as well. Possibly down the shoulder too.

What is it with our poor Kelpies and their bald spots?? :( Hoover's mange went away ages ago so his bald patches are long gone, thank goodness. Skye is so gorgeous - I just love the red and tans soooooooooooo much :(

RallyVally - I LOVE Toby's colouring. He's very sleek and handsome.

OSoSwift - thanks for that. It's good to know. I love the redness of his coat so would be sad if he stayed white. :)

In other news, this is my high energy working line Kelpie puppy enjoying the Canberra heat :) Yes, that is dog hair you see on the ground. Our Dyson can't keep up with the shedding monsters.

IMAG0011.jpg

Edited by koalathebear

All normal :)

i use the furminator on brandy (blk n tan) and i have noticed her coat has come out darker around her markings after removing the dead coat with a quality brush, its deffinately more a winter coat thing when you see it around the neck.

In ceratain areas you might find the under coat is a grey/creamy colour as he matures and grows.

buy a furminator if your looking to get some colour back in, it removes the undercoat and not the top so it will pick up all the creamy/grey thick hair thats dead, not much use for colour on your black dog i know! but produces a healthy coat

:)

ebay is very cheap as long as the brand is a furminator there are knock off brands but some can be very dodgy, if you go to the shops you will be looking at $75-85 for a medium width brush.

it also doesn't hurt to buy a slicker brush or a flea comb to brush your dog daily and massage the hair folicoils sorry for my bad spelling :D as the furminatior isn't a every day brush too much use can leave your dog's coat red on the skin if you use it too much it can start pulling the top coat out if used to hard aswell.

I've been persuaded. I'm going to buy a furminator for the monsters. can anyone recommend a good brand/good place to buy one online? thanks!

i got mine of Ebay very cheap $15 including delivery :)

I got the same deal I think. So happy with it, i figured even if it was a fake it didn't matter because it was so cheap. Pretty sure it is the real deal though and even if it's not it works like a dream. I was really skeptical about how much hair it would take out but there was seriously enough hair to fill a couch cushion and that just from a 4 month old golden retriever. We got it to get rid of some of his undercoat so he would dry out easier in the wet/humid weather and hopefully not get any more hot spots...

Hope it works for you

Here is a link to the ebay listing Ebay Furminator Listing If this size isn't right I am sure you can find the other sizes in the sellers other listings.