Have You Ever Disliked Or Hated A Dog?

Danielle

Another thread in general has inspired me to ask this question. Please be honest with your answers.

So, have you ever disliked or hated a particular dog?

My answer is no, not up until a few months ago. Now I do and I can't help it.

My dad has a 10yo tibbie X pom whom I've always adored, she was always my fave of his four pooches, up until a few months ago. She has started attacking my girls whenever they are around her. It's gotten to the point that we can't have them visit dads place. She attacked my old cattle dog one night very badly and ripped her face up. My poor old girl is very sick and her back legs gave out so she couldn't even get up to defend herself. Dads dog has also ripped my toy poodle from my arms and tore her ears to pieces. She has become very aggressive and I don't trust her anymore. I'm not comfortable with my daughter being around her now.

I have never once hated or disliked a dog, never, but I can't help but dislike this dog now. I know it's not right to feel this way but I can't help it. I'm aware she is being a dog but it seems so nasty when she stalks and attacks, it's like she has pure hatred for my two. She will even do this at our place so I know it's not a territorial thing. She is not like this with dads other three bitches nor is she like this with my male dogs.

So yeah I'm pretty ashamed to admit it but I really don't like this dog. Has anyone else come across a pooch that you just could not help but dislike?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty.

But thinking about it, my feelings towards the dog are probably always more about the owner. As in not because I dislike the owner, but more so because I dislike the lack of training they have put in.

I have never come across a well trained, well behaved dog that I do not like.

So, I guess I blame the owner.

If you are referring to your own dogs, then I would have to say no. Some I have clicked with better than others.

Edited by dyzney

I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I honestly do feel awful for disliking this dog, especially since I've loved it for ten years, but in my eyes my girls come first and I've slowly become very distant to this dog. I won't pat her or talk to her, I've just got no time for her anymore and when I look at her I feel so much anger towards her.

I have no idea why she has changed, she used to be great mates with my ACD, they have been friends since puppyhood. She has cushings disease but I don't know if that could cause her to become so aggro. Other than the cushings she is perfectly healthy, so there is no underlying medical cause that could be contributing to this behavior. She's just turned plain mean.....if a dog can be mean. I dunno, I just can't stand her anymore. :rofl:

Sure! Some dogs you form really strong bonds with and others you do not.

I have a dog that I didn't like until it was 2 years old and have only recently started to bond with, there will never be a true bond there but re-homing is out of the question because the dog is not a suitable re-homing canditate.

Edited by sas

If the dog is elderly and this is a behaviour that is new - I would be suggesting it might be a medical issue. Rather then disliking or hating the dog I would be getting it to a vet for a thorough check-up

If the dog is elderly and this is a behaviour that is new - I would be suggesting it might be a medical issue. Rather then disliking or hating the dog I would be getting it to a vet for a thorough check-up

The dog visits the vet pretty much monthly for a check up for the cushings. They spend thousands on meds for it and it is totally sound except for the cushings. It was a delta dog and is a champ in obedience trialling. (sp?) it's done obedience work it's whole life and has many trophies etc, so it's not thru lack of training, socialization or medical issues. It is spoilt rotten tho and gets away with murder at home. I wonder if cushings can affect a dogs temperament? Does anyone know?

Our old girl is suspected cushings but it just makes her drink a lot. We have had the ACTH tests and low dose dexy tests but neither could confirm or rule out cushings. She has never been DA though.

Another thread in general has inspired me to ask this question. Please be honest with your answers.

So, have you ever disliked or hated a particular dog?

My answer is no, not up until a few months ago. Now I do and I can't help it.

My dad has a 10yo tibbie X pom whom I've always adored, she was always my fave of his four pooches, up until a few months ago. She has started attacking my girls whenever they are around her. It's gotten to the point that we can't have them visit dads place. She attacked my old cattle dog one night very badly and ripped her face up. My poor old girl is very sick and her back legs gave out so she couldn't even get up to defend herself. Dads dog has also ripped my toy poodle from my arms and tore her ears to pieces. She has become very aggressive and I don't trust her anymore. I'm not comfortable with my daughter being around her now.

I have never once hated or disliked a dog, never, but I can't help but dislike this dog now. I know it's not right to feel this way but I can't help it. I'm aware she is being a dog but it seems so nasty when she stalks and attacks, it's like she has pure hatred for my two. She will even do this at our place so I know it's not a territorial thing. She is not like this with dads other three bitches nor is she like this with my male dogs.

So yeah I'm pretty ashamed to admit it but I really don't like this dog. Has anyone else come across a pooch that you just could not help but dislike?

Menopause... :rofl:

I have only had negative feelings towards one dog. I had just got a Border Terrier bub. when my Gordon Setter was found to have aggresive cancer. Jody had been my rock through a pretty turbulent time and to lose her within a couple of weeks from the first Vet visit was heart breaking. The poor pup got fed and watered for a while - if someone had asked if they could have him, he would have been gone. As pups do, he eventually wormed his way into my heart and he and I had a very happy 9 years together.

There's a few I've met that I don't like....a nasty rotti bitch at obedience training, and a GSP we used to live next door to. But I don;t think they are indicative on their breeds and probably more to do with their owners.

I like some dogs better then others definately.... years ago a friend of mine had this big slob pet shop lab and it had no personality and always used to cock its leg on everything (neutered) and walk while it pooed on walks, even when it was let offleash it would just sort of wonder aimlessley and pee... I didn't like him even though I tried hard to :rofl:

Usually when I have "hate" feelings towards a dog it lasts for about a second before the feelings get (and rightly so) redirected to the owner.

I have a couple of dogs that I can't stand. One of them has a personality that I could like, but it's owners have ruined it and i just can't get past all of his bad points. The other are two labs that bark in your face, constantly. Not just every now and then for your attention, i'm talking don't leave your side while ever you are around them and bark.

I meet so many labs, and there is probably only one or two I actually enjoy being around. BYB's and owners that don't know what they're getting into have seriously ruined these dogs and I am growing a slight hatred for them. And I hate that I feel this way! Somebody, please bring me a nice lab to meet and change my mind!

Oh yes.

I dislike my MIL's dogs but I think that has a lot more to do with the lack of training she has given them.

But I hated two of my neighbours dogs, both different dogs at different houses.

Both were terrible barkers, they escaped, howled, annoyed my dogs and I just couldn't make myself like them.

Horrible, horrible dogs.....