Have You Ever Disliked Or Hated A Dog?

Danielle

QUOTE (BigPaws @ 15th Jan 2011 - 10:03 PM)

I didn't like one of my dogs until she was about 2.5 years old. I put a lot of time and effort into helping her and now we are inseperable. She had so many issues like biting on the face, etc.

I can't believe people will just give up and rehome their dog because it doesn't "fit". Would you do the same to a child? Some dogs just need a consistent home and rules.

If you can't cater to a certain breed then you shouldn't get it in the first place.

In some cases the dog gets a much better home with someone they actually bond with rather than just staying with the original owner for the sake of it and never being bonded.

Some re-homings can actually be a good thing for a dog.

Believe me, I know that some rehomings are the best thing. I'm talking about a dog that is born with certain behavioural issues that can be understood and managed by a person that got the dog as a puppy. Some dogs are born with unacceptable issues such as biting people. With the right owner these dogs can be taught appropriate behaviour.

Rehoming dogs with these problems will make them worse because they are intelligent beings.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes i have come across many dogs i have not liked, some because of the owners and other just becaus they have driven me nuts. The small fluffy around the corner, and the 2 agressive fluffies that go to the same park as us (walked by the realy creepy guy). And there is one breed in particualr that i wont have anything to do with, even to the point of declining to go look at 4 week old puppies of this breed :).

I don't hate any, some I'm not a huge fan of but it's not really anything bad about the dog they just aren't my type of dog.

The dog in the OP sounds stressed and maybe suffering anxiety, any change in behaviour should be investigated, I don't think it's something to 'hate' the dog for. My sibe started getting into fights with my chi when he was about 2 years old (chi always started it though the bugger) I don't hate either of them for it I just recognized that the dynamics of their relationship had changed and that they could no longer be together unsupervised, it wasn't the end of the world and it is manageable. If this dog is going to attack your dogs just keep them separated when you visit, a little inconvenient maybe but surely it's better than growing to hate this dog that you previously loved?

I can honestly say with hand on heart that I have never hated a dog in my life. In fact it is the polar opposite. I can say that there are certain breeds of dogs that I wouldn't be keen on owning. However in saying that I am sure if for some weird reason I ended up with that particular breed of dog that I wasn't keen on, that I would find the traits I did like in the dog & focus on that.

Take my youngest dog, Lilly, Maltese & a total fluff ball. I wasn't really keen on fluffy dogs ( I was stereotyping) but when I laid eyes on her I just knew that she would be the last addition to my pack :coffee:. She makes me laugh everyday & makes my heart melt everytime she looks at me. She has picked up training really fast & is the most loving & loyal dog. However there are other Maltese dogs I have met that I am not fond of, but that is more down to the behaviour & lack of doggy manners from a lack of training.

I grew up on farms for half of my life & we had working dogs, plus I got my first dog when I was 12, a German Shepherd who I named Raja. My point being that I think apart from when I traveled overseas for a couple of years, I have owned or been around dogs for all of my life. There were dogs that I was wary off, not breed, but rather the individual dog, but that was due to the dogs behaviour. But my personal opinion is that it is not the dogs fault but rather the owners of the dog. I was so proud of myself when I had Raja as he was trained well, was obedient, a happy & extremely loyal dog.

@ Big Paws - I totally agree with you. A dog is a lifestyle choice, but not for a couple of years, it is for life. People these days think buying a dog is like buying a TV. Keep it for a couple of years & then get a better one. I do however that there are sometime circumstances in which it would be better for the dog to be re-homed & that sometimes there are legitimate reason for giving the dog up. But as for excuses such as moving O/S, can't have pets in new house, dog is aggressive, doesn't get along with cat - blah blah. Load of cows manure! But lets be honest even though the owners in my opinion are wrong, the dog is definitely better off being re-homed. Because not loving a dog is a form of neglect too in my eyes & every dog deserves a home where it will be loved & never have to worry about getting ditched when the owners get bored with it.

I think apart from military & elderly & the off special circumstance that we have a massive problem. Anyway I could talk about this on and on ( am quite passionate) but its off topic so I will zip it.

No I have never hated a dog & never hope to either.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to dislike an individual dog-after all we aren't expected to like all members of our own species are we? I worked as a groomer for some time and some of the dogs that came in were not at all likeable. I do think it's a bit unfair to say you don't like any small dogs or terriers etc-bit like saying you don't like an entire race of people!

Guest muttrus

its not just me but my dogs also hate the two dogs who live behind us

1 a chi and 2 a jap spizt they do nothing but bark ALL day they have had a few compaints from neighbours and the council has been there now its worse first the dog barking then the lady who owns them yelling at them to shut up ''lilly,come inside if you cant be quiet'' lilly lilly lilly lilly

If these dogs ever got through my fence I think my dogs would make them shut up.We had offered to help with the dogs but the lady dont care

Then there's the fluffy white thing across the road who barks non stop when they go out -----

After reading the replies here I've thought further about things. I've wondered why am I blaming the dog and not my parents. The dog is wonderfully trained, will do anything at all, can do the sit stay for ages after you walk away etc, it's very smart. I must admit that most of my feelings of anger are probably directed more at my dad for allowing this aggressive behavior. When she gets into stalk mode I instantly get wary but he fobs it off. Sure enough she ends up attacking. Even after the attack he is blazay (sp?) about the whole thing. I was gutted when she attacked Abbi purely because the poor old dear couldn't even rise from a laying down position to protect herself. It seemed like this dog picked the perfect opportunity to attack her...when she was defenseless. This really got my back up. My old girl is on deaths door and still gets attacked. Same as my little bitch poodle, she isn't even safe when up in my arms, this dog will leap up into the air to grab her and rip her from my arms.

Maybe if my father would recognize his dog has a problem I wouldn't be so angry with it, but he won't, he makes every excuse under the sun for this dog. He won't listen to me when I try to give him advice, he won't hear it. His other dogs have issues too, but nowhere near as bad as this one. One of the others is a herding breed and is forever herding and biting my daughter....he allows this as "it's in her breed", FFS she comes from show lines not working lines! He tells my five year old off for running around as it "entices" the herding dog to chase and bite. How about giving your granddaughter a little more care and telling the bloody dog off and training it not to bite kids? The other two dogs are afraid of their own shadow and won't allow anyone to touch them, one hides under the blankets on his bed all day. I've tried to tell him these dogs have issues but nope, won't hear it.

While I lived with him, I hated my mother in law's JRT X. Eight years old, and the most belligerent dog I'd ever met in my life. Not just untrained and disobedient, actually wilful, obstinate, aggressive, stubborn, a resource guarding demon, snappy, dog aggressive, and sneaky - my God the SNEAKINESS!!!

I'd never seen a dog actually sneak before - but if he knew the side gate was open, it would all go quiet and you might be lucky to spot him in time, crawling through the shrubs on his belly, clever little bastard - he'd have a look to see where you all were, and then in a serious of actual darts-and-hides, he'd be out the gate and gone.

He killed chickens on one side, and one of the neighbour's kittens on the other - the poor kids were sitting on the verandah playing with the mother cat and her kittens and up he went and grabbed and shook one of the kittens (which probably died instantly, poor thing), and the father was belting him with a shovel and he wouldn't let it go, the kids screaming and crying, so on.

Of course my mother in law should be roasted alive for her management of him, but he's an unlikeable little bollox either way.

I have a strong dislike for a friends dog. I feel bad for them because they've done all the right things by going through puppy pre school, obedience training etc. I get the impression that they're at the end of their tether with him. He's ok around dogs he knows but in when being walked he is aggressive towards other dogs.

When I first met him as a puppy he kept growling at us and seemed quite fearful. It's the same everytime we go to their house. As a visitor I feel like my safety is at risk and I hate going there now. I've been around dogs all my life and I just get a gut feeling that sooner or later this dog is going to snap at someone.

I've delicately suggested to them that perhaps they need to see someone who specializes in dog behaviour.

Attacking older sick dogs can be an instinctive behaviour too, often dogs will know if one is sick and their instinct is to kill the weaker member or get it to leave so that it is not a hazard to the rest of the pack. I find that a lot of people tend to react to these behaviours as if there were human motives and emotions behind it and generally they aren't they are dog emotions and instincts.

You can't tell the dog that we look after our oldies and dont ostracize them from the pack, you can't tell a dog that all dogs are created equal and should be treated as such, quite simply you can't tell a dog to behave within our own moral and social expectations.

What you can do is manage the situation so that the dog doesn't have the opportunity to exhibit behaviour we see as unacceptable, sometimes training will do the trick sometimes separating the dog from the 'trigger'. Either way it's important to remember that all of the behaviours described in this thread are dog behaviours that come about either due to boredom, lack of training or simple instinctual pack behaviours.

Great post woof. I know I shouldn't be humanizing her, I have horses so I know this more than anyone, lol! I just can't help it. If it is in fact just warding off the old and sick, then why is she going my other bitch? She isn't old (5yo) and isn't sick. It's really bizarre.

I had one dog who really was a lovely girl, very loving and very sweet, but I just didn't click with her. To the point that if I went outside and she wanted attention from me it just felt wrong and I had to push her away... I felt irritated with her constantly.

There was nothing with her, it was just a clash. She was rehomed - probably the best thing for her rather than being ignored.

Nah.

Older dogs can change. Lots of reasons for it, some become more mellow, some become complete pains. sometimes they have aches and pains, poor eyesight, poor hearing etc.

IN view of the damage this dog has already done, my question is why is she not put into a crate or another room when you are visiting? And if she visits you, why do they not control her - pick her up or whatever.

Someone else (even your parents or outlaws) shouldn't put their dog in a situation where you want to hate it.

So sorry all this has happened, especially to your old girl.

edited to add - just read your second last post - I would be either having a serious discussion with your father, or telling him that if the dog attacked you again, you would (a) hit it (b) kick it into next week. As far as the herding breed - show examples do and will herd, can't believe everything you read!! :rofl: I would be putting the same proposition to your father regarding this dog as well.

I am not a great fan of hitting dogs, but both these problems are serious, and no one seems to care, so you need to protect what you have. I am betting a damn good cuff would stop a lot of this.

Your father needs to realise that the situation is serious.

Your child doesn't need the aggro, your old dog deserves better than this. Your father's small dog probably doesn't deserve you to hate her, but she does deserve to learn what unacceptable behaviour is.

Edited by Jed

I absolutely HATE, and i mean HATE! our basenji...

And honestly, i dislike any other particular dog that is as small as a cat or yaps :eek:

Then why dont you do the right thing by the dog and find the dog a new home :eek: ...

There is Basenji Rescue in both NSW and Vic, and I would be happy to give you the details, when you decide that this poor dog should be in a home, where he/she is able to be loved and appreciated for what he/she is :rofl::rofl::rofl: . Do the right thing...

Great post woof. I know I shouldn't be humanizing her, I have horses so I know this more than anyone, lol! I just can't help it. If it is in fact just warding off the old and sick, then why is she going my other bitch? She isn't old (5yo) and isn't sick. It's really bizarre.

She may just be going for the other girl because she has decided that she is the boss, or simply because she has been allowed to by your father and successfully beating up the older one may have allowed her to think she can. Hard to say without a behaviorist there to observe the behaviour and also the interactions leading up to it. By the sounds of it your father isn't willing to acknowledge the problem or work on it so if I were you I would just concentrate on keeping the dogs separate when you visit, much less stress for everyone.

Yes I have had a dog I intensely disliked. She was a poodle(3mths) not unlike my other poodles, but was headstrong,very hard to train and seemed to attract trouble. I could never hate a dog, but this one used to test me in the patience department. I blamed me, I blamed her, I tried to rehome her (fully explaining to a prospective owner why she just wasn't fitting in) but noone who applied was to my liking. That dog and I lived together for 11yrs...she was my shadow and once we found our 'common place" grew to be my blessed companion. Basically all my friends knew this little dog lived to make me happy. And she did.