Narrowed It Down To 3

Warnsey

The dog for me??  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• German Shepherd
    • Weimeraner
    • German Short Haired Pointer

If you have chooks I would not recommend the wei. I had one who was placid by wei standards and he was a wonderful, intelligent boy. However weis tend to be obsessive hunters/field dogs, and ours would spend hours searching our rock wall for snakes. He would not give up until he got them. Luckily they were not the deadly variety, but still a little toxic. He was getting bitten far too often, and I was worried for his safety and health. I rehomed him to live with another family, with older, active children who wanted to take the dog out with them everywhere. He would have loved that.

I voted for the GSD, as they are working dogs and I feel would be the easiest to train to accept the chooks/roos and anything else you get along the way.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can't keep the dog securely confined, don't get any of them. All have decent prey drive and all would have potential for chasing stock and wild life.

I think you cant go past a good GSD :rofl: However you have to be aware of the above bolded bit and be prepared to put in a lot of training if you get one with decent prey drive.

My GSD lives on 10 acres, we are up in the bush and have chickens, alpacas and horses. There is heaps of wildlife around here as well as sheep and cows. MY GSD has a pretty good amount of prey drive and will chase roos and chooks, probabaly sheep to given the opportunity. It has taken a LOT of training for her to be reliable around roos and sheep. She was not allowed off leash for a while when she was younger due to this and her training will be an ongoing thing to ensure she doesnt get into trouble in the future :) Oh and she will never be allowed near the chickens, it seems that no amount of training will over come the lure of the chooks :laugh:

Having said that she is the best companion now. She does everything with me around the property. Comes horse riding when I am either alone or with others, loves to go to the river for a swim and is the most loyal dog I could ask for.

Are you in a bad tick area? A short GSP coat is much easier to check for ticks than a GSD coat. Just something to consider.

I don't think that it is 'bad'. But being the bush it is a real possibility.

If its on the western side of the great divide and close to Canberra, there shouldn't be any ticks. :D

I havent voted yet because I was just wondering how you come to 1 of the working dog breed and 2 of the gundog breed.

Anyway whatever you decide buy from a good breeder with good tempered stock.

PS the gundog with the mostest is actually the hungarian vizsla but they do like to hunt

Edited by KOE

I havent voted yet because I was just wondering how you come to 1 of the working dog breed and 2 of the gundog breed.

Anyway whatever you decide buy from a good breeder with good tempered stock.

PS the gundog with the mostest is actually the hungarian vizsla but they do like to hunt

It came down basically to traits we were looking for. medium-large size, high energy levels as they will do a lot of km's with us, short coat, but pref with double to deal with the cold (we're up pretty high) and of course dogs that we both liked.

We will defiantly be buying from a breeder. If we go GSD we will try to get one from a working line.