What Lenses To Purchase For Trip To Hawaii?

aquaticmalamute

Hi all,

We are going to Hawaii in a few weeks to sus out locations for my wedding in September. I am looking to purchase a couple of lenses for both trips and am after some reccomendations.

We are looking at three Canon lenses : 10-22mm, 24-105mm L and the 17-40mm. We will mainly be shooting beach, volcano, mountain and waterfall scenes, and of course, wedding portraits in September.

Does anyone have any preferences or reccomendations on which lenses would be best and why? Or can someone suggest an excellent lens that is not on the list?

Thanks in advance

depending on what you already have, the best allrounder here would be the 24-105, as it would give you both telephoto and wide angle availability, but for the wedding, are you going to be shooting it, or having a paid professional shoot it? IMO that is the one area of a wedding I would not skimp on - long after you have eaten the food, etc, you will be looking at the photos, and you do not want an awful home job or ones shot by the relo handy with a camera - you will not begrudge getting someone who does this for a living and knows what they are doing to shoot it.

Kirislin - thank you for your suggestion, I have not checked out photography on the net yet, but will do so now :) I've asked my question on APF but am yet to recieve a response. I've also looked at reviews and sample photos for each lens and am finding it difficult to narrow it down to the best two. At this point in time I think I have decided on the 10-22 and the 24-105 L, the 17-40 is nice as well, but the other two lenses would have that one pretty much covered.

Linda - My kit is as follows: 18-55 II, 28-105 II, 50 f1.4 II, 100 f2.8, 70-200 f4 L, 100-400 L IS and a 580 EX II flash and 2 x II extender.

Alas I cannot shoot my own wedding so I am hiring a prefessional photographer, but i'll be passing my camera to family to take photos and I'd like to take some myself as well. The lenses that I buy would mainly be used for landscape, but it would be nice if they were versatile enough for some portrait shots too.

I guess i'm wanting to know if anyone has used these lenses and what they think of them? Or if there was another lens that I haven't considered but should?

Kirislin - thank you for your suggestion, I have not checked out photography on the net yet, but will do so now :) I've asked my question on APF but am yet to recieve a response. I've also looked at reviews and sample photos for each lens and am finding it difficult to narrow it down to the best two. At this point in time I think I have decided on the 10-22 and the 24-105 L, the 17-40 is nice as well, but the other two lenses would have that one pretty much covered.

Linda - My kit is as follows: 18-55 II, 28-105 II, 50 f1.4 II, 100 f2.8, 70-200 f4 L, 100-400 L IS and a 580 EX II flash and 2 x II extender.

Alas I cannot shoot my own wedding so I am hiring a prefessional photographer, but i'll be passing my camera to family to take photos and I'd like to take some myself as well. The lenses that I buy would mainly be used for landscape, but it would be nice if they were versatile enough for some portrait shots too.

I guess i'm wanting to know if anyone has used these lenses and what they think of them? Or if there was another lens that I haven't considered but should?

If you are buying those two you can probably sell the 18-55 amd tje 28-105 because you will have it all covered with the 2 new L's