Doggie Dementia/ccd?

westiemum

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Sheridan but I don't think its Mac losing his pack place - he was always on the bottom anyway. I suspect that its more about food - he seems to be becoming very food protective/possessive... although there wasn't any food around at the time... hmn... actaully just thinking about it it could be the reverse with Mac asserting himself against the younger more alpha boy... and it may or may not be part of the CCD... who knows. :laugh::cry:

Grumpy seems to be very purposeful with his grumping - when you describe it, it always seems to be at someone or something... whereas mac is growling into thin air - or is that what Grunmpy does as well?? I like the idea of a low bed - and will do the same here in the next 12 months or so - will be very interested to hear what you buy or how you go about it. Maybe a low futon or something?

Will post about the Akitvait after he's had a few weeks on it - hopefully will arrive this week.

Grumpy always grumps in relation to something. It's not purposelessly as Mac's is. I think it's generally because he can't see my hands or doesn't want me doing something. Have you considered separating the boys?

Ikea has a couple of low beds, around 27-33 cm off the ground. Mattress would go on top of that, obviously. There was also something in Domain.

just cut the legs shorter on the bed Sheridan

Metal frame.

even better...do you have or can you borrow an angle grinder...works a treat

Yeah, I think I'd just rather get a separate bed but good suggestion anyway. :laugh:

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

Just a quick update on my beloved Mac...

Have been keeping a diary of Macs purposeless growling and barking episodes so I know I'm fairly accurate... but since Mac started on his herb robert herb tea (although I now give it to him night and morning) his episodes are definitely less freqent and less intense. He's a much more 'with it' westie, seems happier and not so vague so often.

He hasn't had a vet check-up for a while ('cos of unexpected work committments I had to cancel last week),so will head back there in the next week or so.

So thanks tons to Boronia for getting me started on what I first thought was a bit of hocus pocus witchcraft - you're a DOL gem!

I know I've said it before, but there are so few things to help these dogs so we just might be onto something here...

How are others going?

Best,

Mac and Westiemum

Edited by westiemum

Grumpy is doing very well. We're still waiting for the bed to arrive, though. Finally got some B/D but he's only had his first full meal on it today so it's too early to tell. He's getting very picky about bed time, in particular. I stayed up late last night and he got a bit distraught because he wanted to go to bed, therefore I had to go as well. No other symptoms! Good boy, Grumpy!

My rescue BC,"Redman" was 14 when I noticed he was starting to act very strangely. He was getting confused in familiar territory. e.g. he would walk into the corner

of a room & just stand there with his head in the corner till I went over & turned him around then he would look up at me like 'thanks mum' & off he would go

again.He was deaf by this stage & arthritis has set in. Dementia was by far the most troubling for me though I think. To see my beautiful, very intelligent

BC boy forget where his water bowl was or come across him stuck in the corner of the lounge room was heart breaking. He passed away 6 months later. That was 3

years ago RIP My special boy. :heart:

Edited by BC Crazy

Thanks PME, I have heard Gingko Biloba was used in humans with tinnitus but didn't know it was used in dementia - thanks for the information and will keep it in mind if I need to change his treatment regime in the future.

If any of you use Gingko Biloba as part of dementia treatment I have some listed in Members Marketplace which you can have for the price of postage. Just wanted to let you know here in case you don't visit that section.

Thanks BCC and I'm so sorry to hear of your boys sad passing - I dread when that time comes for Mac.

So far Mac is doing well but I'm beginning to wonder if there are two subtypes of canine dementia operating here - the ad hoc reports here on DOL seem to be that those reporting confusion and loss of memory and problem solving skills like your boy seem to go downhill very quickly. Where as those who don't seem to lose those skills but whose behaviour is more characterised by puposelessness and aimlessness don't seem to go downhill as quickly?

Anyway just some thoughts... deerhound owner are you around? What do you think?

My rescue BC,"Redman" was 14 when I noticed he was starting to act very strangely. He was getting confused in familiar territory. e.g. he would walk into the corner

of a room & just stand there with his head in the corner till I went over & turned him around then he would look up at me like 'thanks mum' & off he would go

again.He was deaf by this stage & arthritis has set in. Dementia was by far the most troubling for me though I think. To see my beautiful, very intelligent

BC boy forget where his water bowl was or come across him stuck in the corner of the lounge room was heart breaking. He passed away 6 months later. That was 3

Edited by westiemum

Always good to hear from you Sheridan and sooo good to hear good old Grumpy is doing well. He sounds like such a character. Good you've got him on the b/d. I'm managing to keep Mac on it for the moment - but at a smidge under 100.00/bag I'm not sure how long I'll be able to keep it up. Luckily for me I can only give him 1/2 a cup a day or his weight balloons (and then I'm in trouble with his weight obsessed vet!)

Mac's purposeless behaviour doesn't seem to be getting any more frequent or intense. Although he does seem to be a bit more vocal just prior to what he believes is dinner-time!! :laugh: (Boy does he let me know!). But thats very purposefuk and rarely seems to happen at other times so I'm not too worried about it.

Anyway good to hear of Grumpy and hope he continues to do well.

Grumpy is doing very well. We're still waiting for the bed to arrive, though. Finally got some B/D but he's only had his first full meal on it today so it's too early to tell. He's getting very picky about bed time, in particular. I stayed up late last night and he got a bit distraught because he wanted to go to bed, therefore I had to go as well. No other symptoms! Good boy, Grumpy!

Edited by westiemum

I notice that Grumpy will come looking for me and if he doesn't find me immediately, he gets very confused.

Always good to hear from you Sheridan and sooo good to hear good old Grumpy is doing well. He sounds like such a character. Good you've got him on the b/d. I'm managing to keep Mac on it for the moment - but at a smidge under 100.00/bag I'm not sure how long I'll be able to keep it up. Luckily for me I can only give him 1/2 a cup a day or his weight balloons (and then I'm in trouble with his weight obsessed vet!)

Mac's purposeless behaviour doesn't seem to be getting any more frequent or intense. Although he does seem to be a bit more vocal just prior to what he believes is dinner-time!! :laugh: (Boy does he let me know!). But thats very purposefuk and rarely seems to happen at other times so I'm not too worried about it.

I arrived home on Thursday to find that Grumpy had thrown up his breakfast. He's been on the B/D for a week. No other symptoms other than the throwing up. He didn't get any dinner that evening and was okay the next morning (to Mini's dismay, she was also unfed that evening just in case it was her but I was pretty sure it was Grumpy). I'm now half feeding B/D and half feeding Eagle Pack and he seems just that little bit vaguer since Friday.

Hmn... interesting isn't it? Hard to know but it would appear the b/d is helping Grumpy... is that your hunch too Sheridan?

I notice that Grumpy will come looking for me and if he doesn't find me immediately, he gets very confused.

I arrived home on Thursday to find that Grumpy had thrown up his breakfast. He's been on the B/D for a week. No other symptoms other than the throwing up. He didn't get any dinner that evening and was okay the next morning (to Mini's dismay, she was also unfed that evening just in case it was her but I was pretty sure it was Grumpy). I'm now half feeding B/D and half feeding Eagle Pack and he seems just that little bit vaguer since Friday.

I think it might be helping though it's hard to tell. My concern about keeping him on the B/D is if there are supply problems. He's previously also had the runs when on chicken based kibble, so I'm keeping an eye out for that. No real tummy trouble since the throwing up incident, though, so I've put him back on the B/D for dinner time and half B/D and half Eagle Pack for breakfast. I think a week or so might be too soon to tell, though, if it's having a real impact. With Grumpy it's always been hard to tell if he's being dementia-y or just grumpy!

Yep it is hard to tell whats helping - Mac is very purposefully growling at dinner time at the moment (I tell you you could set your watch by this boys tummy! :laugh: )so I think thats the grumpy westie part... the aimless barking and growling at nothing is the dementing part and has a different character... he has an 'out of it' look on his face and it's really aimless... and I reckon thats the difference...

I think it might be helping though it's hard to tell. My concern about keeping him on the B/D is if there are supply problems. He's previously also had the runs when on chicken based kibble, so I'm keeping an eye out for that. No real tummy trouble since the throwing up incident, though, so I've put him back on the B/D for dinner time and half B/D and half Eagle Pack for breakfast. I think a week or so might be too soon to tell, though, if it's having a real impact. With Grumpy it's always been hard to tell if he's being dementia-y or just grumpy!

Edited by westiemum

I am drying 6 trays of Herb Robert at the moment (I have a Harvest Maid dryer like the one in the link but mine has only 6 trays!) http://wudhi.com/recipes/equipment.htm

If Mac would like some more, and Sheridan, if Grumpy would also like some, (and anyone else who has a demented dog) let me know and I'll send some off.

It is chopped stalks, leaves and flowers.

No problems so far but he still has the wanders. I'm taking him to the vet on Monday to see about his back because he's had a couple of issues sitting down comfortably. Might have to look at cartrophen injections for that.

I've not noticed a huge improvement or a deterioration since he's been back on it full-time, although he quite decidedly dumped his beef ear the other night and stared at me until I gave him something more to his taste! :laugh:

Hi Boronia, that doesn't surprise me. A lot of wheaten people don't actually show. There's a wheaten specialty show at spring fair and I'm hoping to get the day off to go to it. Don't know the likelihood of loads of entries, though.

Hi Boronia, that doesn't surprise me. A lot of wheaten people don't actually show. There's a wheaten specialty show at spring fair and I'm hoping to get the day off to go to it. Don't know the likelihood of loads of entries, though.

Thanks for that, I Googled 'Wheaten specialty show at spring fair' but it appears to be in NSW, is there any in Qld?