Doggie Dementia/ccd?

westiemum

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, here's a semi-positive update with a downside. The good news is that Grumpy seems to be moving better on the Vivitonin and hasn't thrown up since last time. The downside is that neither it nor the Hills BD seem to be having an effect on his dementia. He's probably vaguer now. The other thing is that he's started pooing in the house or just outside on the back porch where he and Mini spend their day. I don't think he's lost his housetraining because he isn't weeing inside. I'm wondering if it's because of the Vivitonin and that he's not able to hang on until I notice he needs to go outside? He may be losing sphincter control but this has only happened since being on the Vivitonin.

He badly needs a groom and a bath but I need someone else to hold him for me. :(

Tara ws doing that inside also

I took her of the Clomicalm tabs as apparently they can have that affect

I also rang Hills about the BD and they told me it can cause runs as very high in Omega so $80-00 bag of BD was sitting there until get a refund from vet ( phew , too expensive to not be refunded )

Tara is on Hills Sensitive Tummy dry food which helps her tummy problems and so far no mess inside for 4-5 days now and back to good solid poos

we also put her on the Prescription ID can food

I also have to be carefull what else I give her as she has like a IBS since puppy

I am going to introduce her Clomicalm back soon with a smaller dose and see if it enough to help her

Tara has never liked being groomed etc , but always use to calm down after awhile

last time she was groomed was horrible :(

her squealing , I had to walk away and leave her to groomer ( I have always stayed with her and chatted to groomer )

groomer did say her dementia has made her forget that she didnt get hurt in the past

how I am going to cope with the grass seeds this year I dont know as I have to check her for them

but she gets clipped and groomed in few weeks time

Thats good news Westiemum :)

Edited by Tara and Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an update: Grumpy hasn't done a poo inside since last report. He's been a bit up and down, though - indeed, quite literally! There are some nights he wants to go outside four or five times. He's definitely having issues with his back legs, one in particular. He's also slippy sliding a lot on them and sometimes just can't get comfortable. We're off to the vet tomorrow and hopefully, he can get the hair under his pads shaved out, which should help. Muzzle on, several people to hold him. The vet nurse suggested they may have to sedate him but I pointed out his age and that if muzzled, he should be okay. The hair around his eyes has been cut right back, so there's nothing obscuring his vision.

On the upside, there's still nothing wrong with his appetite.

Tuesday update: Grumpy is now Mr Poodle Feet. All went well at the vet and hopefully, Grumps will be a little steadier on his feet.

Edited by Sheridan

Good to hear from you Sheridan. Grumpy with poodle feet! Bet thats a sight! :laugh: But all for the best...

Mac is continuing to do well. Although he continues to bark loudly right at me at dinner time and seems to be getting more raucous and strident! But its definitely very puposeful! :rolleyes:

Has been a couple of weeks since a 'cluster' of purposeless growling (no recent puposeless barking either although it happens occasionally)- so we continue to do well.

I'm also carting him around with me and getting to the park and trying hard to keep him well stimulated -and that seems to be helping too. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Mac was at the vet yesterday for a check-up - and she's thrilled with him. He continues his combination of Vivitonin, Hills b/d and his Herb Robert herbal tea twice a day (Thanks tons again Boronia). So we're keeping on with this routine while it seems to be working.

The other thing that I have definitely noticed is that he also seems brighter and much more alert since I've been home with him for heading for three weeks. He's getting out and about more and seems to thrive on my company... so now for that Lotto win so I can stay at home full-time with him! :laugh:

So all good here. :)

Grumpy is still quite vague at times. A friend is visiting for a few days and I'll have to keep a close eye on him to see how he (and she!) copes. Our walks are shorter and we don't go if it's too warm but recently he leapt over my lap to get off the bed from a standing start. Then he looked surprised that I told him off.

Will be interesting to hear how Grumpy gets on with someone else in the house. Andy is usually very timid for the first day but after that he warms up very quickly - its another lap to sit on and someone to lounge all over, roll over and get tummy rubs from! :) Mac just loves the extra attention right from the start! :)

Grumpy is still quite vague at times. A friend is visiting for a few days and I'll have to keep a close eye on him to see how he (and she!) copes. Our walks are shorter and we don't go if it's too warm but recently he leapt over my lap to get off the bed from a standing start. Then he looked surprised that I told him off.

Grumpy was really good with my friend in the house. He did focus on her but when called away, left her alone. He certainly doesn't like anyone between me and him, so we swapped seats on the couch so I sat closest to him.

I also found some Herb Robert at a tea shop. I don't think Grumpy would drink it by itself. Wondering if the dried herbs would be beneficial if added to his dinner and if so, how much to put in?

Hi Sheridan, for Grumpy maybe 2-->3tsp of dried HR (Westiemum uses 1 tsp I think) soaked in 1/2 cup hot water to make up a tea, leave it to steep overnight and mix 1/2 of it in with his breakfast then the other 1/2 with his dinner.

Don't buy any more, I have HEAPS and can send a couple of sandwich bags to you if ya PM me your address.

If it works on Grumpy-good, if it doesn't-it won't hurt him.

Hi Sheridan and Boronia,

Sheridan you're right - Mac won't drink the herbal tea on its own either - but mix it in with his antioxidant dry food (Hills b/d) and give it to him morning and night and he wolfs it down - he's one very happy westie! :thumbsup: I give him about a teaspoon morning and night.

The added bonus is that it ensures that he is well hydrated - which is always good for a boys brain! :):laugh:

Boronia's 'stuff' :laugh: is good stuff! I'll give you a hoy B after I finish my current supply (couple of months). :)

Edited by westiemum

Hi Sheridan and Boronia,

Sheridan you're right - Mac won't drink the herbal tea on its own either - but mix it in with his antioxidant dry food (Hills b/d) and give it to him morning and night and he wolfs it down - he's one very happy westie! :thumbsup: I give him about a teaspoon morning and night.

The added bonus is that it ensures that he is well hydrated - which is always good for a boys brain! :):laugh:

Boronia's 'stuff' :laugh: is good stuff! I'll give you a hoy B after I finish my current supply (couple of months). :)

okey dokey :-)

Hi Sheridan, for Grumpy maybe 2-->3tsp of dried HR (Westiemum uses 1 tsp I think) soaked in 1/2 cup hot water to make up a tea, leave it to steep overnight and mix 1/2 of it in with his breakfast then the other 1/2 with his dinner.

Don't buy any more, I have HEAPS and can send a couple of sandwich bags to you if ya PM me your address.

I'll give it a try. He doesn't have much breakfast, though.

He won't mind if you mix in some HR tea into his small breakfast-portion, mix it with some turkey mince and he will gobble it up.

PM me your address and I'll send some to ya.

Yep I mix it with meat or veg as wel and Mac wolfs it down! :)

He won't mind if you mix in some HR tea into his small breakfast-portion, mix it with some turkey mince and he will gobble it up.

PM me your address and I'll send some to ya.

Thanks, Boronia, but I'll wait to see if he actually takes to it first otherwise it's wasted postage for you. I very much appreciate the offer!

Grumpy is quite down today. I may have to give him a Rimadyl later, as he's moving quite gingerly. I worry so about my Grumpy man!

Can you mix a little of the Herb Robert tea with some minced turkey/chicken (get human grade) and/or dried food, just a little so that it just starts to soak in. If Grumpy likes sardines or mackerel you could mix a little HR tea with that.

Don't Give Up!