Doggie Dementia/ccd?

westiemum

Same here. Mac is bright, perky and surprisingly 'with it'. He's very spritely for a 13 year old and trots around with his ears and tail up looking very happy! :)

I don't know and probably will never know what's producing these good results - except to say he continues on his 1/4 cup of hills b/d soaked in his herb robert tea twice a day, plenty of water in his food so he's very well hydrated and his raw diet at night. He was growling in the kitchen tonight - and when I went to see what was going on he was growling very purposefully at Andy - and hungry!. So the behaviour I see is very purposeful - which is such good news! :) :thumbsup:

Edited by westiemum

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear Mac is doing well. In terms of Grumpy's place in the household, he's still Number One as Mini will defer to him over food, water and toys. I do have to keep telling her not to leave her toys on his bed, though, as she likes to borrow it to have a play.

Grumpy's main issue is his back legs still.

Glad to hear Grumps is still top dog. Mac had a dental today - and prior to his procedure we had extensive discussions about the required GA. I basically said please keep it as light and as short as possible, given he's an old dog with dementia. Not only did they do that but they were incredibly careful with his hydration, pre-med and oxygen. ( Not that they aren't with all their patients but they just took extra care with him because of his old age). I can't remember the exact routine but apparently he recovered better than the 11 month old who went in for some surgery afterwards! Great stuff and really gives me confidence when I put my precious old man in their hands. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ladies,

I was recommended this for my girl who is having some 'issues' lately instead of putting her on Prozac. I have just ordered it so this is only going off some info from some forum friends with their GSDs. But apparently it is great for our older friends.

Anwhoo just thought I would put the link here in case you may be interested in researching it :)

http://www.amazon.com/Cholodin-Canine-500-tablets-CHEWABLES/dp/B00076KPGG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1349700601&sr=8-3&keywords=cholodin+for+dogs

Hi Ladies,

I was recommended this for my girl who is having some 'issues' lately instead of putting her on Prozac. I have just ordered it so this is only going off some info from some forum friends with their GSDs. But apparently it is great for our older friends.

Anwhoo just thought I would put the link here in case you may be interested in researching it :)

http://www.amazon.com/Cholodin-Canine-500-tablets-CHEWABLES/dp/B00076KPGG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1349700601&sr=8-3&keywords=cholodin+for+dogs

Thanks Bianca. Looks very interesting. :) Might be helpful for Mac.

Is it registered for use in Australia or did you buy from an Australian website? If not you may have trouble with AQIS getting it into the country. I lost some Aktivait through not realising the requirements. Hope I'm wrong and you have it all under control. :) Will you let us know how you get on on all counts? :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thought it was time for a Grumpy update. :)

His Nibs' Cushings is under control, though I have noticed him drinking more again and panting more at night. He's due for another test later this month so his medication might need some adjusting. He's seeing a physio once a month and although he is still sagging in his back end, she's quite pleased with his balance. Needs to engage his core muscles - don't we all ...

In terms of his dementia, I think it is slowly getting worse, though it may have more to do with his eyesight. He has some difficulty judging distance. Yesterday at the physio, he took a flying leap off the floor mat, obviously thinking it was much higher than it was (which was an inch off the ground but a different colour).He also has a bit of difficulty with the bed, obviously, because of that. He sometimes gets up at night and just turns in circles. He seems to not know what he wants to do. Again, I think this is to do with his eyesight because he can't see where the back door is. If I get up and open the door he'll go outside but getting back on the bed is hard for him and he doesn't like being picked up (in an 'I can do it myself!' Way).

Edited by Sheridan

Thanks for the update Sheridan. Macs a bit the same. He seems to have got a bit worse again in the last few weeks. He will often come to a halt and stare at, say, a dog bed as if he can't quite decide what he needs to do next or has forgotten what he's there for. Although the night wanders don't seem any worse. So we plod on here. :)

Yes, sometimes Grumpy seems really good, others not. I'm keeping the hair around his eyes very short. His distance judging is not good.

His temper doesn't seem any shorter. He was practically flirty with the physio on Saturday.

Edited by Sheridan

Sorry Westiemum, I didn't see your post. It came through quarantine no problems (I ordered it from the US).

I am giving her 1 in the morning and 1 with dinner and I *think* she may be showing some improvement but she is so weird ( :laugh: ) it's a bit hard to tell.

I so hope it helps him. Do you think the post office would let me post some to you to try? I bought the 500 tablets so it is a huge bottle and I would feel really guilty if Mac couldn't tolerate it for some reason. I am happy to bottle some up and try and post it but just don't know if it would get through?

Miss Molly does seem generally a little less anxious but it's so hard to quantify that maybe I am just being hopeful. She has no digestive issues from the tablets though so that's a great start!

Anywhoo let me know if you want me to send some through:)

I so hope it helps him. Do you think the post office would let me post some to you to try? I bought the 500 tablets so it is a huge bottle and I would feel really guilty if Mac couldn't tolerate it for some reason. I am happy to bottle some up and try and post it but just don't know if it would get through?

Miss Molly does seem generally a little less anxious but it's so hard to quantify that maybe I am just being hopeful. She has no digestive issues from the tablets though so that's a great start!

Anywhoo let me know if you want me to send some through:)

Bianca that's a kind and amazing offer. Thank you so much. But my boy has a cast iron stomach and views almost anything as a treat. So I'm sure he'll love them. :o So no need to worry or feel guilty - I'm sure Mac will be fine and loving you for suggesting them! So I'll get a bottle next pay day and it will be good to compare notes with you on how we think our guys are going. :)

No problems Westiemum, if you change your mind just sing out! They do sell it in a bottle of 60 I think? If you do order it and find it no good for Mac, I could always buy the bottle from you.

Sheridan, the same applies to you if you would like to try it for Mr Grumpy :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to come in and interrupt your thread again but Westiemum, have you ordered the Cholodin yet? If you haven't and would like me to post the worlds biggest bottle of tablets to you, I can :laugh: I gave up and couldn't stand to see Molly freaking out all the time so she is now on her 7th day of Prozac.

Anywhoo if you would like it (free), just sing out :)