Doggie Dementia/ccd?

westiemum

Little bit of a Grumpy update. He had his Cushings test on Friday and his results aren't great. Not awful but not great either. His medication dosage has been upped considerably.

As to his dementia, that seems a little better since last report, though he still stands and stares into a room that I'm not in (as if I'll just appear). I really do think it's his eyesight. Funnily enough, he's fine when he's outside at night in the pitch black. Before Christmas, we're heading back to the vet to check out a few more things that we didn't get done while there for the test. It's tiring for him and tends to wipe him out for the rest of the day.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Little bit of a Grumpy update. He had his Cushings test on Friday and his results aren't great. Not awful but not great either. His medication dosage has been upped considerably.

As to his dementia, that seems a little better since last report, though he still stands and stares into a room that I'm not in (as if I'll just appear). I really do think it's his eyesight. Funnily enough, he's fine when he's outside at night in the pitch black. Before Christmas, we're heading back to the vet to check out a few more things that we didn't get done while there for the test. It's tiring for him and tends to wipe him out for the rest of the day.

Yes Mac's slowing considerably now as well Sheridan.He still trots around slowly enjoying life (and smells!), but he's not coping with heat of the last few days as well as he usually does and his dribbling incontinence is worse. I've just had to order more belly bands for him to wear inside, particularly overnight. He really enjoyed our ploughman's lunch at the park with his westie mates yesterday but is considerably slower. And he was absolutely wiped out when we got home before the worst of the heat and spent the rest of the afternoon sleeping like the dead.

Although his dementia doesn't seem to be getting any worse. I'll report back after he has had some time on the Cholodin. - bianca's very kind gift to him.

Edited by westiemum

Very funny moment just now. Grumpy was staring into space when I said, 'I'm doing treats.' He snapped out of his daze pretty darned quickly.

:rofl: yes Mac's dementia sure hasn't affected his ability to sniff out quality blue cheese at 500 paces... :laugh:

Very funny moment just now. Grumpy was staring into space when I said, 'I'm doing treats.' He snapped out of his daze pretty darned quickly.

:rofl: yes Mac's dementia sure hasn't affected his ability to sniff out quality blue cheese at 500 paces... :laugh:

Grumpy's nose isn't working as well now. :( The vet did ask whether he had a hearing loss and I said, 'Well, he's always been selectively deaf.'

Bianca thank you so much... the cholodin arrived today. Its a huuuge bottle! I gave Mac his first 1/2 tablet tonight (his dose is 1/2 tab daily) So will report in how we're going in a week or so...

Thanks so much Bianca - big smoochy westie kiss from Mac! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well all, I didn't want to come back and report what I thought I was seeing until I was sure. And now I'm sure.

This stuff really works. Mac is more engaged, when I look at his eyes he's 'home', he's in there, he is really spritely, his movements are much crisper and his tail is usually up and much more waggy! Conversely, he doesn't seem so confused, his occasional growling is purposeful (usually directed at poor little Andy!) and his dribbling incontinence hasn't been a problem for over a week! (Just after I bought him three new belly bands! Roll eyes here).

So thank you again soooo much Bianca. Big westie smooch for you from the old fella! :thanks:

:flower: For you Bianca - from Mac (and me!)

Edited by westiemum

Yes it is amazing. I was hoping that my experience might line up with that which is reported on the net, and it has. Sheridan, although you've said 'no' before would it be worth a discussion with your vet to see if its worth trying with Grumps? I'd be happy to send you some to try :)

Edited by westiemum

Sheridan, Could you please tell me what dry food Grumpy is on - I think you said Grumpy also had pancreatitis issues? My 11 and a half year old (the one in my signature, Stella,) is on Hills active longevity small bites which is controlling her pancreatitis but she's a bit sick of it. Just thought I'd try another one but unsure which one would be best. I do give her chicken without the skin, veges and tuna in springwater and brown rice as a bit of a change sometimes but I really need a suitable dry food. Thank you for any information!