Doggie Dementia/ccd?

westiemum

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone. Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers. They worked.

Yesterday afternoon Mac was in really severe acute respiratory distress. His rebuilt back end (previous bilateral ACL repairs) was very unstable and he was winding up on his bottom. He was a very sick boy. I took him to the vet who did some investigation, X-rays, and gave him steroids ABs and something else and he settled a little but the vet was still really worried. So after a call at 5.30 yesterday afternoon I collected him and took him to the Emergency Hospital on Anzac Highway.

The vet there was grim and querying tracheal collapse clinically. I was expecting to say goodbye later last night. They admitted him to observe, put him on 02 and see how he went overnight. That was about 7pm. Then about 10 pm I got a call from Richard the surgeon - Mac wasn't doing well and he recommended GA and a scope as this needed resolving ' one way or another tonight'. He rang me again an hour later to tell he was confident that it was severe bilateral (unusual) laryngeal paralysis, Mac was still under GA and breathing completely normally under GA - so he could do a laryngeal tie-back now which is what happened. Laryngeal tie back is where they sew back one of the cartilages which open the vocal cords into a permanently open position to clear the airway. Sometimes they need to do both sides but usually only do the one side to reduce the risk of complications. There's still a possibility he will need to have the other side done but he's doing better this morning, his breathing is fine, he's comfortable and stable but he's a bit ' rattley' , I suspect from being incubated. They will also have a better look at his unstable back end today (it wasn't a priority last night).

Anyway the vet who saw him through his ear ablation in late 2009 is caring for him today. She rang me this morning wanting more history but its difficult to tease out the respiratory symptoms from his gradually deteriorating dementia symptoms ( eg dementia panting and pacing from respiratory distress breathing and inability to settle on his tummy as he couldn't get air). It's possible this is an acute onset or maybe it started sometime ago and got confused clinically with his dementia until he went into crisis. frown.gif. Well never know and I'm not beating myself up about it - as she said the symptoms are subtle and easily missed with everything else that is going on with Mac. We're erring on the side of an acute onset over the weekend but we really can't be certain.

She also said this is usually seen in large breeds, is often idiopathic, sometimes trauma can be identified, sometimes seen as a result of choker collar injuries and rarely seen in small breeds. As usual Mac hasn't read the textbook and didn't follow it. biggrin.gif. That's my boy!

He can't wear a collar again ( will have to use a harness only) and I'll have to be careful with him. Aspirate pneumonia is a risk with these dogs with permanently open airways but the surgeon said its a small risk and he hasn't seen it happen post-surgery yet. In fact I'll be changing all my westies over to harnesses now as a pre-caution. Their beautiful Florentine leather collars will be retired.

While laryngeal paralysis is often idiopathic, I think there are some lessons learnt here around collars, choker collars and restraining dogs around the neck that I've never thought about before. But will think about that and do some research after Mac is home and settled and I've processed this properly.

Thank you all soooo much for all your kind posts, advice and support. I live alone and they meant so much to me. And to Perse: xx.

Will update again when I have more news.

WM and Mac.

Edited by westiemum

Thanks tons everyone. I went to see him on my way home from work and he's a different dog. His breathing is back to normal, he's not panting, heaving and wheezing and he's weeing, pooing and eating well. Although he has a helluva surgical wound. It was sooooo good cuddling him tonight, putting my face in his fur.

If the surgeon is happy with him and the surgical repair remains sound, then hopefully he can come home tomorrow night. I'll then hopefully work from home on Wednesday and I've roped his 'grand-mother' in to dog-sitting for me on Thursday and Friday. Then the weekend - so Monday next week will be his first day alone at home during the day - which should be fine - fingers crossed.

Can't wait to have my lovely old man home again with me. The house was far too quiet last night! And I'm sure he will enjoy putting on a little weight (he's got so thin!). Might get him a little of his favourite blue cheese as a treat.laugh.gif

Edited by westiemum

He is Perse. And he's had fantastic care at Anzac Highway. They have been so lovely with him. I'd forgotten but this is the third surgery this surgeon has done for him - he's a bit of a surgical case study! laugh.gif