Doggie Dementia/ccd?

westiemum

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did this thread go? I couldn't find it for some time.What a lot to tell you. Grumpy's dementia is much the same though physically I have a major update. His back has been getting progressively worse and I began to notice an increase in his drinking over a few weeks. Off we went to the vet and blood test results showed really bad liver results and the initial thought were liver cancer. The urine results were indecisive so they ordered more tests and an x-ray, ultrasounds and two further tests later it came back as Cushing's! He's now started on that treatment and we'll see how he goes.

While not good news at least you know now and know what you are dealing with. Please keep us updated on how the old boy is doing. Mac will be 13 in mid- August . :)

• 2 weeks later...

post-11746-0-51860000-1342690452_thumb.jpg

Blackdogs here's a photo of Mac immediately after a clip - I know I'm biased but I think he's a really handsome boy!

He's continuing to do really well. I'm not working at the moment and he seems to be responding very well to the company during the day. I've also added a regular daily fish oil capsule to his routine - not sure if its making a difference but he did really well at the dog park earlier in the week - really very spritely for an old fellow! :thumbsup:

Sheridan do you have a photo of Grumpy? :)

That's Master Grumpy in my avatar.

he's gorgeous Sheridan - got any full body shots? :) Id love to see a full shot of the old boy we've been discussing all this time.

post-11746-0-92377200-1342707553_thumb.jpg Here's Mac at a friend's pirate birthday party!

And just to be indulgent here are the absolutely beautiful shots that Snook took of Andy and Sarah late last year: Andy is about 6 and Sarah has just turned 11.

post-11746-0-60464500-1342708095_thumb.jpg post-11746-0-24945800-1342708876_thumb.jpg

My adored rescue boys and bossy girl.

Edited by westiemum

Hahaha Westiemum, your girl is bossy...so is Penny, she is the fun police, she barks at Mac and Daisy if they do zoomies past her. Usually it is zoomie-time when we come home from the shops.

Your Mac is lovely he looks a very happy boy. If you feed raw you may need to add a smidgen of vitamin E powder to his diet as the fish oil. Penny had arthritis symptoms and I added Vitamin E to her diet and the problem disappeared.

There is a topic here--> http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/210570-i-almost-killed-my-dog-by-giving-him-fish-oil-tablets/

Edited by Boronia

Hahaha Westiemum, your girl is bossy...so is Penny, she is the fun police, she barks at Mac and Daisy if they do zoomies past her. Usually it is zoomie-time when we come home from the shops.

Your Mac is lovely he looks a very happy boy. If you feed raw you may need to add a smidgen of vitamin E powder to his diet as the fish oil. Penny had arthritis symptoms and I added Vitamin E to her diet and the problem disappeared.

There is a topic here--> http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/210570-i-almost-killed-my-dog-by-giving-him-fish-oil-tablets/

Hey thanks B, will give it a go. Do you know doggie Vit E dosages by any chance? Thanks tons :)

Mac went to see his favourite vet this morning for a 12 monthly check. As part of that we've done bloods so will get the results of that next week. Preventative only - not expecting anything untoward - just think 12 monthly bloods in an almost 13 year old is a good idea so hopefully I can jump on anything he is brewing early. Apart from that he's doing really really well for an old boy. Although a bit distracted by every smell in the dog park last week, he was really spritely and trotted around with his ears and tail up looking very happy - made his mother happy too!

Edited by westiemum

Hey thanks B, will give it a go. Do you know doggie Vit E dosages by any chance? Thanks tons :)

Mac went to see his favourite vet this morning for a 12 monthly check. As part of that we've done bloods so will get the results of that next week. Preventative only - not expecting anything untoward - just think 12 monthly bloods in an almost 13 year old is a good idea so hopefully I can jump on anything he is brewing early. Apart from that he's doing really really well for an old boy. Although a bit distracted by every smell in the dog park last week, he was really spritely and trotted around with his ears and tail up looking very happy - made his mother happy too!

Its awesome you are starting to do the bloods. It makes catching little things early soooo much easier!!

I hope you get some really healthy 'base line' bloods back :thumbsup:

I bought this Vit E powder--> http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/VPVITE?sc=9&category=260#.UAsjGl634oM

I worked it out and it was the best deal..BUT... it would take me around 9 years to use it all as the measurements say 'Dogs/Greyhounds: 50iu or as required', the small end of the scoop holds 220iu (3.5g) which means that a dog should have around 1/4 scoop, BUT, as Westies weigh around 8kg, and according to the weight/dosage rate I worked it out a being about 1 pinch per dog per day.

Sooooo, I put some in a little jar for my use and gave the rest to a friend who has miniature horses :laugh:

It may be better to just buy a general vitamin and mineral supplement like this one--> http://ovedshorseandpetstore.com.au/Dog-Products/General-Vitamins-Minerals/4234-Aristopet-Multivitamin-Mineral-Tablets-100-s.html

Edited as the side of my brain that controls spelling is on Sunday-mode

Edited by Boronia

Its awesome you are starting to do the bloods. It makes catching little things early soooo much easier!!

I hope you get some really healthy 'base line' bloods back :thumbsup:

Thanks J. Yes I hope so too - this is the second year for Mac - this time last year I got an excited call from the vet saying the results were 'perfect' - so expecting the same again. Will do Sarah as well when she turns 12 or sooner if finances allow. But no reason to suspect anything with the others so willl wait until finances improve to do them too. :)

Edited by westiemum

I bought this Vit E powder--> http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/VPVITE?sc=9&category=260#.UAsjGl634oM

I worked it out and it was the best deal..BUT... it would take me around 9 years to use it all as the measurements say 'Dogs/Greyhounds: 50iu or as required', the small end of the scoop holds 220iu (3.5g) which means that a dog should have around 1/4 scoop, BUT, as Westies weigh around 8kg, and according to the weight/dosage rate I worked it out a being about 1 pinch per dog per day.

Sooooo, I put some in a little jar for my use and gave the rest to a friend who has miniature horses :laugh:

It may be better to just buy a general vitamin and mineral supplement like this one--> http://ovedshorseandpetstore.com.au/Dog-Products/General-Vitamins-Minerals/4234-Aristopet-Multivitamin-Mineral-Tablets-100-s.html

Edited as the side of my brain that controls spelling is on Sunday-mode

Thanks B. I've seen some stuff like that at the Burnside Pet Store so willl have a look there during the week. Greyhound Products Direct might have something too. :)

OK. Macs bloods are back - my lovely vet just rang. Another perfect result. His potassium is 6.0, very slightly above the top end of normal (5.8). Last year it was 5.4. But overall its nothing to worry about at this point, particularly given he turns 13 next month, on the 13th. And unless something changes in the meantime I'll run them again in July next year. Yay! :)

Edited by westiemum

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a Grumpy man update: I ran out of Vivitonin for about a week and a half, couldn't get to the vet, and the change in Grumpy was amazing without it. He got lost in the house a lot. He couldn't work out how to back out of something (he got stuck in the loo!) and he started getting very suspicious about everything. Back on Vivitonin and he's much, much better.

We finally ran out of the blue whiting Royal Canin and I've switched to the equivalent Eukanuba, which is herring based, but has pork fat in it, which I was a bit worried about to begin with. Because I ran out of the blue whiting quite quickly I wasn't able to do a proper changeover and gradually introduce the food. I had to do it over two days. So far, I'm not liking the results. He's eating it (well, he eats anything) but he has soft stools and his tummy is gurgling which is indicative of his low-grade pancreatitis and Cushings. I'll have a chat to his vet but I don't think he'll be on it for long!

Bit of a Grumpy man update: I ran out of Vivitonin for about a week and a half, couldn't get to the vet, and the change in Grumpy was amazing without it. He got lost in the house a lot. He couldn't work out how to back out of something (he got stuck in the loo!) and he started getting very suspicious about everything. Back on Vivitonin and he's much, much better.

We finally ran out of the blue whiting Royal Canin and I've switched to the equivalent Eukanuba, which is herring based, but has pork fat in it, which I was a bit worried about to begin with. Because I ran out of the blue whiting quite quickly I wasn't able to do a proper changeover and gradually introduce the food. I had to do it over two days. So far, I'm not liking the results. He's eating it (well, he eats anything) but he has soft stools and his tummy is gurgling which is indicative of his low-grade pancreatitis and Cushings. I'll have a chat to his vet but I don't think he'll be on it for long!

Very interesting about the Viviitonin Sheridan. At least you definitely know its definitely helping him. I went away overnight last Saturday and took the westies with me - and they stayed outside in an enclosed sleep out where they could see me during the evening - and Mac was very vocal - but interestingly it seemed quite purposeful - he didnt like being in the sleep-out separate but where he could see me- and boy did he let us know! As only Mac can (rolly eyes here). And yes he's still on Vivitonin too.

I have been supplementing my guys with a little Black Hawk and while they've all done really well on it they've all put on weight - Andy and Sarah in particular - and they've not been getting a lot of it - so I think I'll have to cut it out and return to their raw human grade diet. The vet will have my guts for garters if I don't! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Arrived home to find Grumpy in a bit of a state. He can't work out how to back backwards and gets stuck if he can't turn around. He got himself between the two dog kennels. Lord knows how long he was there for. He was quite frazzled by it, poor boy.

Arrived home to find Grumpy in a bit of a state. He can't work out how to back backwards and gets stuck if he can't turn around. He got himself between the two dog kennels. Lord knows how long he was there for. He was quite frazzled by it, poor boy.

Oh Sheridan, poor Grumpy man. A very typical dementia behavior :( And must have been upsetting for you.

Are you able to minimise coners and spaces he can now get caught in?

• 3 weeks later...