Charges At Cats

Guest kelbyrd

Rockstar::

I really wish I could help you but, at my house Kody, my 5 yr.old GR and Scooty my 14 yr. old cat, just can't seem to stay away from each other, I sure hope you can get results like this, Good Luck :thumbsup:

post-9-1108186400.jpg

Yeah i wish.

It has gotten worse. Today one of my cats approached my dog..there was a screen between them. my dog began wagging her tail and making these huffing noises. My dog charged at my cat and tried to bite her..Thank God there was a screen. My cat hissed at him and put her claws out.

I have 2 cats..this is the first time this cat has seen the dog.. So I guess both of them refuse to run away.

I now have a leash on the dog inside so if she tries to charge at the doors to get at my cats i can correct her. I wonder if it will work.

I dont know what else to do..the dog is getting worse. I don't want it to attack my cat someday..I have this feeling the dog is going to get loose one day and im goign to find my cat dead. :confused:

Im considering contacting the humane society to see if they have any collars i can use to train the dog... Maybe they have a shock collar.. I know they have a "clicker" for rent. i wonder if they would work for this.

Edited by rockstar

rockstar,

Reading this topic scares me. Your cat is in danger of being killed by your dog. There is also a danger that you cat may seriously injure your dog. In some cases, a dog in high prey drive that is being confined will lash out in frustration at what ever or who ever is closest.

I suggest you contact a professional trainer as soon as possible. It is not good at all to have a cat wandering around triggering the high prey drive in your dog. Do not let the dog go anywhere near, see, or even smell the cat, until you have help from somebody.

There are training tools and techniques that can be used to solve this problem, but you need to be properly shown how to use them. There is no magic wand solution. It will take time, and careful management.

Good luck.

I'll try. thanks.

I live in a place where.... we are really "limited" in the area of a trainer. Man oh man.

My dog is OK sometimes..like if she sees the cat outside..if I pick up the cat infront of the dog the dog just sits down and watches me. If the cat is by herself the..the dog starts going ballistic until I pick the cat up.

Or if I take charge of my dog and i keep telling her to sit and stay..she'll calm down and just stare at the cat.

But yeah I really need to do something about this. Getting rid of the dog isnt an option.. unless it does something that u know..makes us have to get rid of it. And i definitely dont want to see my cats die a tragic death.

Oh and.. i dont think the dog would uh..charge at one of us. not at all. She doesnt get frustrated when on the leash either. Infact when i put her on the leash she calms down.

Edited by rockstar

It's good to hear that the dog is sometimes calm around the cat when you tell her to behave. This shows that with the right training, you should be able to overcome the problem.

That is great that she calms down when on the lead. I don't think that she will charge at you at all. With some dogs, you will get misdirected prey drive. That is, when they are in high prey drive, and they are confined to a short lead, or a car or a trailer, they will bite whatever they can reach.

It does not happen with all dogs, and may not happen with your girl, but just to be safe, when she is in prey drive, keep other dogs and children away from her, and do not put your face close to her.

Let us know how you go with the trainer.