Charges At Cats

Hi .. I was wondering if any of you here had a dog who once charged at your cat..or others cats... and you got it to stop?

I have a dog (lab- sharpei mix), bout 3 years, who is VERY VERY friendly. And a VERY good dog. However, when she sees my cat, she darts at her and i have to hold the leash tightly and try to get her under control.

We also have 2 mice and she stares at them like she wants to eat them... I hold her and try to maintain her.

She is about 60 pounds.

One of the shows i watch is "The Dog whisperer" by Ceasar millan. By his teachings I think what im supposed to do is let the dog see the cat, and pull on the choke collar when the dog tries to dart..and eventually her mind will break and she wont charge anymore. Because right now..the moment she sees another creature..she goes into this 'trance' like thing where she blocks out the world and fixes her eyes and attention on the critter.

I figured i'd ask in here though. Also... when she sees another dog she tries to charge it. It looked like she wants to kill it.. but when the dog and her get close together they only sniff eachother.

Im very fearful for my cat.... I'm afraid that one day if I dont get this under control..she might kill her.

TIA.

Edited by rockstar

Firstly I'd make sure your mice are up nice and high or even better in a different room to where she usually hangs out. Cats could at least jump on a table or bench to get out of the way - mice not so.

My dog is getting better with cats - as long as ours sit still he sniffs them and then we tell him 'enough' and generally he'll leave them alone.

He was also excellent last night when we went for a walk - I keep an eye out for cats, and I know where the neighbours ones like to hang out (so does my dog!) so when we are approaching an area I'll subtly shorten the leash, get a treat out of my pocket (I started carrying them about 3 weeks ago when cats and offlead dogs started to become an issue) and say 'look at me' when he does he gets a treat/praise, then I keep him in a nice heel with the treat and if he's being really good he'll sit for a few seconds in the general area of the cat, praise praise continue on the walk.

I try to make sure I see the cat before he does so I can be prepared for it - but I still let him know the cat is around. When we first started he would lunge after them, and he's on a limited slip collar so he'd "correct himself" and I'd try to gain his attention back towards me.

Drawing his attention has worked for me on our walks - my friend used to put her puppy in a 'sin bin' (bathroom) for 2min when he annoyed the cats and he caught on pretty quickly that if he wanted to spend time with the family he had to behave with the cats.

I'm having trouble with my 11month old boarder GSD Zac and my cats. My own dogs are good with the cats, Chili gets a bit rough but responds well when told 'enough'.

One of my cats is in a pen adjacent to the dog yard n pens. Zac jumps up on the pen door to see what shes doing all the time, especially when hes excited - it becomes like a habit - somethings happening, better check the cat. I've started squirting him when I catch him jumping on the door, working slowly. the other cat thats loose almost got eaten by him the other day, luck he's a fit cat because Zac is pretty fast too. Dunno what to do about that, other than try to keep the cat out of the dog yard - problem is that cat has grown up here with the dogs never bothering him, he doesnt know that the dogs might eat him.

wow that GSD is good looking!!

anyway, thanks you two. To the first poster- gaining the attention of the dog is key I think. I know the dogs "fix" their eyes on something and you have to break that connection.

Im just really starting to get scared. I did put the mice up though :D

2nd poster- Same with my cat, she grew up with a dog who wouldnt bother her..I dont think she realizes the danger of this dog. :rofl: Im scared that if the dog ever got loose the cat would just sit there and hiss and the dog would kill her. :rofl:

I was thinking just now..maybe I could go out and purchase a muzzle and take the dog outside so that way IF the dog got loose...she couldnt do much damage to the cat with a muzzle. Id purposely walk her by the cat and when she tries to charge i will grab her attention and make her sit. and continue to do that until she just quits...

any ideas??

I kind of want to get the dog close up to the cat to see if the dog just wants to sniff or if she is vicious towards cats. She hasnt been socialized around animals too well. Like i said..it looked as if she wanted to attack some dogs.but when they got up close she only sniffs at them...

Edited by rockstar

I suppose that is an option you could try - but I wouldn't like walking a dog with a muzzle on - I understand they can still breath comfortably, but I don't like it. Why would the dog get lose?

are you living with other people? With my sook of a cat we would have him on someones lap - dog would come and sniff, sniff we'd be all 'yes good boy' and then we'd call him away praise praise.

And if my bad tempered cat scratches him - we let it go, but I am aware she likes to egg him on (will slyly walk just out of reach, throws food at him, will make the strangest noises when he is no where near her just to make us think she is getting hurt)

I suppose that is an option you could try - but I wouldn't like walking a dog with a muzzle on - I understand they can still breath comfortably, but I don't like it. 

i wouldnt walk her around the block with the muzzle. Just in the yard when im trying to get her used to the cat.

Why would the dog get lose?

The first time she spotted the cat she rushed at her.. she was very strong and it seemed her collar would slip off..i dont want to take any chances. i really like my cat A LOT.

are you living with other people? 

yes

With my sook of a cat we would have him on someones lap - dog would come and sniff, sniff we'd be all 'yes good boy' and then we'd call him away praise praise.

I wouldnt dare do that unless the dog had a muzzle on. Im not sure if she has ever been around cats before but... when she is inside and the cat is in the yard..she will charge the door and I have to stop her before the glass breaks or something.

If I can be sure the dog will not bite. then i will definitely do what you all are doing.

Unfortunately, my cat does not have any claws... So ...

Rockstar, an ecollar would be the perfect and most effective solution for this problem, however they are expensive and you may not want to go down that route.

The problem however is getting your dog to stop chasing cats fullstop. You have to think carefully about this, some methods may well be effective in controlling your dog whilst you are around but not so effective when you are not around.

Controlling your dog by getting his/her attention is all well and good whilst you are present - there is no guarantee that it will work when you are not around.

This is not really a difficult problem for an experienced trainer to deal with - so I would seek advice from one. And I would make sure that the trainer explained to my satisfaction how his/her method ensured the dog's behavior regardless of my presence. If they could not explain to me how their method ensured that, I would seek a different trainer.

Rockstar, an ecollar would be the perfect and most effective solution for this problem, however they are expensive and you may not want to go down that route.

You mean the things the vet puts in your animal after certain surgeries so it cant injure itself?

How would that help? :rofl:

Or are you talking about those electric zappy things?

Edited by rockstar

Hello. Your dog sounds just like my Jyra!! She is totally obsessed with cats. We don't own any cats, but we have lived with people who do, and what Jyra will do is stare at the cat for ages and if the cat gets off the table, couch, whatever and runs across the floor, Jyra will chase it! If she is able to reach it, she will lick it and nibble at it, as seen in the pictures below.

Last time I stayed with these friends, their son did not like having the dogs in his room, but the cat was allowed in. It did not take long for Jyra to learn that she was not allowed into the bedroom and she would not enter it even if the cat was in there. Instead, she'd lie at the door and stare at the cat, waiting for it to get up and leave the room. See the last picture below.

I think you need to get your dog familiar with the cat. Are both your dog and cat allowed indoors, or is is just the dog? It would help to have the cat out of your dog's reach, like up on a table, and get the dog used to having the cat around. Introduce the dog to the cat, by you holding the cat in your arms and lowering it so that your dog can sniff it, and see how you go. If he's anything like Jyra he will want to lick it and nibble it and chase it when it runs away. Jyra doesn't ever harm the cat. So just don't be too paranoid that your dog's going to hurt the cat, and introduce them in a safe way where if anything happens you can stop it before any damage is done.

Rimg0448.jpg

Rimg0452.jpg

Rimg0453.jpg

Rimg0429.jpg

Hi thanks.

well my cat is free to come in and out. ever since my former dog passes away my cat has basically made her home outside in the grass where she lays all day.

Im REALLY REALLY scared about putting my cat anywhere near the dog. I guess i just have to try.

Does your dog go crazy and kind of make noises when he sees a cat outside? Mine does... it doesn't snarl and it's tail is wagging sometimes so I think i ymight just want to "play" but either way it REALLY without a doubt, looks like if that dog ever gets off the leash..my cat will be dog food.

My cat is old, i dont want to give her a heartattack. Should i purchase a choke collar for my dog...

get my cat in the house.. bring my dog inside and just hold on tight to the leash??

Does your dog go crazy and kind of make noises when he sees a cat outside?

Sometimes she does. If it's across the road she usually just watches it quietly from our front window. I think when it is closer, like in our front yard, that is when she gets excited and makes noises and runs from the window in one room to the window in another room.

I suggest putting your cat on a table where he is out of reach from the dog and let the dog stare at it. Have him on a lead if that'll make you feel more secure. Let him get closer and sit near the table. Is your dog one for jumping up? If you let go of the lead would he jump up to the table? Perhaps given the circumstances it is hard to know what he would do. Jyra never jumps up, so the cat has always been safe on high ground. So if you feel you can trust your dog, let go of the lead and see what happens. I also suggest again, holding the cat above your dog and lowering it for him to have a sniff and say hello.

As I type, the cat across the road crossed the road and is sitting in our front yard. Jyra is in a drop position (not commanded) watching it quietly. The cat just got spooked and bolted back across the road and Jyra jumped up into a sit position.

It depends a lot on individual dogs and circumstances, but I took on a two-year old Neapolitan Mastiff who would chase any of my cats quite aggressively the minute he saw them. As a result he was an outside dog and not allowed in or around the house for a while.

Eventually it occurred to me that maybe he didn't know what cats were, anf that if I could convince him they were members of the household he might accept them.

So I bought a big crate and crate-trained him in the house. When he was in the house he was in the crate, and he was walked in and out of the house on a lead.

Took a couple of months, but once he worked out that the cats lived here and weren't that exciting he lost interest. He'll occasionally chase a cat if he gets over-excited, but for the most part now pays them little attention. He'll even curl up with one in front of the fire on a cold night. He spends hardly any time in his crate anymore.

A lot will depend on the dog, I had a Shepherd bitch one who loathed cats, and could never be trusted around them, although the Shepherd I had before that adored cats and once helped me hand rear an orphan kitten.

I'd keep the mive up high, I don't think it's fair to either the mice or your dog to put that much temptation in his way.

wow that GSD is good looking!!

If you're talking about mine, thanks! Thats Chili rat face, and I think shes good looking too :rofl:

Hey Purple Julie, while he may not be becoming breakfast, I have to say your cat doesnt look too impressed!! My first dog Bayliss and first cat Akira had the same kind of relationship, i have a photo just like that one but not on the computer.

I know exactly what you're saying Rockstar, its like I'm fairly sure the dog just wants to play, but is it worth the risk? Thats how I feel anyway. I guess I'm lucky that Zac is just boarding with me..and in the end if i chose to do nothing its not something that I will have to worry about for the rest of his life.

How about this, do you have a crate, cat carrier or something that you could restrain the cat in whilst inside for a while? Maybe, if the dog can have access to the cat without the cat being in danger, you could gradually teach the dog to have a quick sniff then go away and lie down, while at the same time the cat isnt doing anything much to get the dog going and perhaps he'd get bored and leave it alone anyway? If you did that for awhile, and felt you could trust the dog, maybe start letting the cat walk by outside while he's on a lead...let him have a quick sniff and lay down or sit or something?

Dunno if that makes any sense :rofl:

Hey Purple Julie, while he may not be becoming breakfast, I have to say your cat doesnt look too impressed!! My first dog Bayliss and first cat Akira had the same kind of relationship, i have a photo just like that one but not on the computer.

You're right, the cat certainly isn't too impressed!! It's not my cat, it's the friend's cat. We didn't let Jyra torment too often or for very long. Mostly she'd just stare at it and chase it.

Hey thanks i really appreciate you guys responding.

My dog isn't a jumper really. she will jump on us when we get home but we make her get down. other than that when we have food or something she doesn't jump.

I thought that maybe we did it all wrong and when we let the dog inside our house for the FIRST time i should of had the cat in side so the dog knew it was her house... But i didnt so oh well.

I know we definitely need to make the dog know this cat is part of the "pack"

my thought was as one of you said.."hey lets put the cat in a crate in the living room"

but i was then afraid the might feel cornered and have a heart attack or something. :rofl: She doesnt like crates anyway but i think I'll try it cause i need to do something about this!

I bought a choke collar today so i can use that in trying to teach her with the cat.

Well its good to know of others experiences. My dog is balistic when she sees the cat outside so i dont trust her with me holding the cat and lowering the cat down to her-- yet. but i WILL be doing that eventually.

today i think i might get some treats... Put some on one side of the door for the cat..and on the other side for the dog..so they become familiar with their scents and associate something 'good' from being my eachother..hmm i dont know. i read that somewhere. then ill just pull on the lead if the dog starts to ram into the door.

hopefully it doesnt take 2 years like on of yours did. i dont want to live in paranoia about my cat being dog food for that long lol

I bought a choke collar today so i can use that in trying to teach her with the cat.

I wouldn't use this. Firstly they can cause permanent damage to your dog's neck. Secondly if you give an aversive to the dog near the cat (eg. with the choke chain), it could associate the bad experience with the cat, and that could make any problem you have worse.

Better would be to teach the dog to give you attention using high value rewards, with distractions, then come closer to the cat while you do that. Teach the dog that being near the cat, but giving you attention rather than the cat, is a good thing. Then you could allow it to look at the cat, while staying calm, and reward that. If you keep rewarding being near the cat and being calm, that's what you'll see more of.

Does the cat run when it sees the dog? Cats that run make it more difficult.

I would be putting the DOG in the crate and allow it to see the cat wandering around in the house, and interacting with you. Reward all calm behaviour.

The cat doesn't run. Thats why if the dog ever escaped....

It does seem like a better idea to put the dog in the crate. unfortunately i dont have a crate large enough for her. I only ever had a small dog so all of my things are smal-sized.

Cat not running is good. That means, when you have the dog accepting of the cat, the cat won't be triggering a prey instinct in the dog by running. Much harder to stop dogs harassing cats that run.

My young Kelpie barks at my cat and would like her to run, but she gives her a "you have to be kidding" look and stands her ground - puppy is getting used to the cat. If my cat ran, I'd have a cat chasing dog in no time.

Does your dog tether? Could be an idea to look at setting up a tether point inside - without cat around at first - risk with this could be that some dogs are more aggressive on a tether (but most are not).

Crate still looks like the best option to me. Safest all around. You might be able to pick one up cheaper second hand. Check out Ebay, etc.

I note that Aphra's Neo took 2 months, not 2 years, to become accustomed to her cat/s. Your situation sounds like it could be similar, with the dog seeing cat as interloper rather than as co-resident.