Man Filmed Kicking Whippet Puppy

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/M...king_Dog_Jailed

A man who was caught on camera viciously kicking a puppy has been sentenced to eight weeks in custody and disqualified from owning animals for five years.

Arthur Kent, of Welling, southest London, was filmed by a member of the public in Knee Hill Park as he mistreated his pet.

Shock footage shows Kent yanking the young dog by its lead and delivering at least two kicks that knocked the animal off its feet.

He was apparently angered when the puppy urinated on him and would not walk properly on a lead.

The video of the incident was uploaded to YouTube and sparked a Facebook campaign to identify the man.

Kent later handed himself into police and spoke to Sky News about how sorry he was for treating the puppy so cruelly.

The dog was seized by police and given to the RSPCA under the Animal Welfare Act.

A vet who examined the animal said it had been through a trauma.

"They asked me how I could manage to kick 12kg with such force," Kent told Sky News.

"I'm ashamed and disgusted with myself and want to apologise. I would never hurt any animal.

"I've had dogs and cats my whole life. If I saw someone doing that to a dog I'd want to punch them in the face."

Kent - who also owns a whippet-cross Staffordshire-terrier - was previously jailed for 18 months for robbery.

Ahead of the hearing he told Sky News he expected to be sent back to prison if prosecuted.

"I'm ashamed and disgusted with myself and want to apologise. I would never hurt any animal.

"I've had dogs and cats my whole life. If I saw someone doing that to a dog I'd want to punch them in the face."

And he said this despite the evidence to the contrary.

Exactly what I was thinking.

8 weeks? That is not good enough. :D

Poor puppy. :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...